“unfriendly staff”

Casa Elvira
Ranked #56 of 322 Restaurants in Zihuatanejo
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
“unfriendly staff”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The restaurant is connected to the guest house which promotes wifi as one of the perks but the restaurant staff shuns anyone using the wifi in the restaurant while staying in the guest house, not even turning on the overhead fan to cool off under. This was my second extended stay at the guesthouse, the first being very friendly, but now there seems to be a contention between both businesses. I staid one week and quickly moved on to a more friendly place with wifi in the room.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank paul l

Akron, Ohio
“Great food, friendly staff, English speaking”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We ate there twice, the first time for drinks and a snack for lunch during the close encounter with Hurricane Raymond. The restaurant is very clean including the bathrooms. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We liked it so much we went back for a full lunch and had the whole red snapper. It was probably the best red snapper we have ever had. The fish was fresh caught that morning.

The restaurant is on the bay so it is in walking distance from all the hotels and shopping including the flea markets.

• Visited October 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
“Great red snapper & friendly staff”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We ate breakfast once and dinner 3 times during our two week stay. The red snapper was the best my husband ever had. The snapper was cooked whole and was big enough to stay moist. The seafood pineapple was also excellent. We went fishing and brought mahi to Elvira's to fix for us. They made three great preparations and served it with rice, veggies, bread, etc. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

• Visited October 2013
Milford, NE
“Good place for breakfast”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We experienced a good breakfast here overall. Eggs, bacon, hash browns (not crispy) toast, and tortillas. Fresh squeezed OJ was nice, but the coffee was only lukewarm. Prices were good, most options were about 40 pesos. I'm sorry, I do feel obligated to mention when the server brought out the sugar packets, there was a small cockroach in the container. Let's face it, they're probably in every kitchen down there. . . you always risk it when you eat out. . . that being said, it did give me the heebie jeebies.

• Visited August 2013
Geyserville, California
“Casa Elvira”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Hmmmm. This restaurant gets my lowest rating for my whole trip to Zihua. I had heard great things by reading the reviews on TA so I was pretty disappointed when I actually dined here. We had found the artisan market near the pier in downtown and Z was in low season so not many tourists. The waiters were out front barking at us to come in which I don't really mind but its somewhat annoying. We weren't starving so we went in for some nachos and a shrimp cocktail. The nachos were chips with beans and cheese microwaved over the top then some day old guacamole in the center. Most places we went in Z made the quac fresh when we ordered it and believe me, you can taste the difference. The shrimps were rubbery and the cocktail sauce was, well, not the best in Z.
I hate giving bad reviews but what happened next was too much for me. One of the waiters dropped his cell phone... I looked back after hearing the noise and said, hey it happens. They kinda laughed. As I had turned around, I had unknowingly dropped my wallet on the ground as well. A few minutes later, the waiter came to me and said hey, you better keep track of that wallet of yours. I looked around and there my wallet was on the ground. I said thank you and continued eating. We paid the bill, and as we were leaving the same dude approaches me and points to my pocket and says you better keep a close eye on that in a demeaning way. I felt like from the moment we walked in, they disnt really appreciate our business. I was like, whatever. This was the only encounter I had like this in all of Zihuatanejo. Sad really for a place that's been there for so long. I won't return. Sorry y'all. There's plenty of other resty's in Z that have the exact same menu and will treat you wayyyy better. Adios Elvira's

• Visited August 2013