“Quality of the food left a lot to be desired”

Restaurante Mar y Cielo
Ranked #36 of 334 Restaurants in Zihuatanejo
Price range: US$45 - US$120
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Mar y Cielo offers delicacies from Mexico's rich culinary heritage and breathtaking views of the bay. Seafood Specialities from Zihuatanejo and the Mediterranean.
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Eight of us went to this restaurant to celebrate our friends wedding anniversary and we were all disillusioned and underwhelmed by the quality of the food - virtually all our dishes needed improvement.

I will start by saying that the setting could not be bettered - very romantic and very scenic and the service was excellent. The food and drinks however were poor.

The two margarita's had to be sent back as they were extremely weak and tasted very watered down - I have to say this was the worst margarita I have ever had in Zihua. My husband's dry martini had no olive (which we had to ask for) and again was extremely weak - I think it must have been mostly ice in the cocktail shaker.

My friend had to send her Caesar Salad back as it lacked a dressing and certainly was not a Caesar Salad dressing, even when it was sent back and replaced. Most of the main courses were very indifferent and served in dishes that resembled airline catering dishes - all divided into sections. The only two dishes that were up scratch were my husband's carpaccio of beef and his skate main course, so because of this (and the ambiance) I have give the restaurant a "poor rating" rather than a "terrible" rating.. Finally our cheesecake tasted extremely artificial and was not of the standard I would expect from this restaurant. My friend whose wedding anniversary it was, ordered a liqueur coffee and was told that the restaurant was unable to make one, even though it was on the menu. When she complained the waitress went and made her one but our other friend never got hers!

Suffice it to say that we were all extremely underwhelmed by the poor quality of the food. I had expected far better than this for the price we paid. The food was extremely ordinary and the presentation left a lot to be desired. There are much better places to eat in Zihua. We were thinking about staying here on our trip to Zihua next year but as the saying goes once bitten, twice shy - I certainly won't be returning here.

5  Thank MargaretGranada

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We found this restaurant to be the gold standard on our vacation. One of the two best views in the city and cuisine that is outstanding. Our server Cesare was impeccable in his attention and quite thoughtful about recommendations-- for example when asked to recommend a wine, he advised a reasonable and quite enjoyable Mexican Chardonnay at $30-$50 less than others on the list. But this isn't a place that should be reviewed with value in mind. It is where you go to pamper yourself and either a loved one or friends and expect to just be content in a "this must be heaven" kind of way. As nice as it is, it's not snooty, there's no one's ego to contend with--there's just a kind of peace and tranquility that the staff interprets as a natural benchmark to live up to. And live up to it they do.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My husband and I decided to re-visit this beautiful restaurant with our 9 and 10 year olds just last week. He proposed to me here almost 20 years ago. It is lovely and magical as always. The scenery is unbeatable and the food was superb. Service was great too. A word of caution though, there are a lot of steps and there really is no way around this as this restaurant is recessed into a cliff overlooking the ocean.
Normally children are not allowed but we were not notified of this when our reservation was made. I can understand why as it may be dangerous and the ambiance is very subdued. Luckily our children are very well-behaved but can see why this is a rule.
Everyone should come visit once in their lifetime. Come at sunset, honestly it doesn't get much better then this....

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Excellent food and service. Spectacular view. Many good menu choices. Pricey for Zihuatanejo, but worth it for a special night out. Hotel architecture is very impressive.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Wonderful evening from start to finish. The view , to start , mellows you. To look out over the bay is something you don't want to miss, it's a different perspective, the Architecture of this beautiful establishment is unique. It is a winding path to get to the restaurant which visually leads you through intimate areas to enjoy and leads you to the restaurant. The food is amazing! I had a Skate wing which was poached and finished with a white wine sauce and sauteed squash. The guanabana cheese cake was so different and creamy. Romantico. Thank you.