“Small hotels of the world”
Review of La Casa Que Canta

La Casa Que Canta
Ranked #1 of 77 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Olga L and Bernie G stayed and enjoyed a world class vacation. The service and hospitality is impeccable. Food is gourmet. Grounds are breathtaking and interesting in every aspect.
Staff is friendly and courteous. Suites are large and have all the right amenities. Views are romantic and harbor is spectacular.Only a stay at this magnificent hotel can justify a review. Totally excellent.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. We did not use any AC as the breeze off the bay was enough to keep us comfortabl...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 206lehigh

Reviewed 28 March 2014

After spending a week at this resort, I now understand why it receives such positive press and high marks across the board. We are so glad that we chose to stay here rather than at Capella in Ixtapa. Don't let the website dissuade you — it truly doesn't do this place justice.

The architecture of the buildings and resort grounds are stunning, as are the views from every point. The resort has an authentic Mexican charm to it that is very special. My husband and I thought the service and food were exceptional and absolutely loved our room with a private infinity pool. We'd recommend booking the master pool suites in the Luna building. They offer the most privacy and fabulous views of the bay, town and hillside (and sunset, too). Illuminated at night, the view is spectacular. We had a chance to check out the owner's suite, which offers 360-degree views and is amazing as well. The only thing we didn't like about it is that the private pool on the terrace is fully covered and doesn't get direct sun.

The staff went above and beyond to make our experience special and never missed a beat. The chef, Antonio, often prepared special dinners for us that were not featured on the menu. Anything you need — just ask. Special thanks to Isabel, Luis, Francisco, Caser, Pavel, Tony, Fredi and Elion for making our vacation so memorable.

We were among only a handful of couples at the resort, so had the place to ourselves. Even during peak season, I can't imagine that it would ever feel crowded. If you are looking for a quiet, serene and romantic getaway in a unique resort, look no further.

Room Tip: Infinity pool master suites in the Luna building are excellent. Huge space (mostly outdoors — half c...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AmyPhillip
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Unique property surrounded by beauty at every turn. It shows like a movie set or a museum with pieces of folk art everywhere. The grounds, pools, rooms very well maintained.
Beautiful location and close to everything. The walk down to the beach is no big deal at all.
Stayed at another property on the beach and was happy to be away from the carnival atmosphere during the day. Service was top notch everything was fist class. Believe the
hype....this place has it going on.
I especially appreciated the fact they include the 16% in all their pricing. If I come back to the area I would not hesitate to stay here again!

Room Tip: Do get a room with a plunge pool. I would recommend getting a room in the center tower of the proper...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AbbeyD07
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I am not a gusher. I have also traveled a fair amount and stayed in some beautiful places. This place has got to be among the best. It only has 25 rooms, and it is elegant and creative in a very natural and simple way. The staff is genuinely sweet and interested in how we are enjoying our stay. Details are attended to, even anticipated rather than responded to. The housekeeper who designs the beautiful welcome pictures made of flowers is proud of her craft and blushed when I told her that I appreciate it. Everything is understated and peaceful. The place was only half full when we were there, so it was really pretty quiet, but never creepy empty feeling. It is built into the side of the small mountain and the rooms have terraces that overlook the Pacific. It has a little bit of a feel like the "bad guys lair" in a James Bond movie, except probably in part because of the price, rather than being filled with bikini-clad beauties, it was more of the over 50 set. Lots of steps though, probably not a place to stay if you have mobility issues.
It is pricey, but it is worth it.

Room Tip: upper floor. We stayed in a terrace room without a private pool. Less expensive and more than enou...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank strathconaphone
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I travel the world and was lucky enough to stay at the Casa Que Canta 10 years ago.
Since then, We stay one to two weeks every year with another couple and look forward to seeing the same face at the hotel who provide the nicest experience.
No other place will you have a room and view like at the Casa Que Canta,
One night we always ask chef Antonio to make us a special dinner not on the menu which turns out as another night to remember.

Thank you staff of the Casa Que Canta for another great stay.

1-19-2014
K Guddal

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but splurge and get a suite with a pool or the owners suite
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ken G
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Wow - this really is a spectacular place, by far one of the most amazing hotels I have ever stayed at, but also one of the most disappointing experiences I have had at any hotel.

First, yes this place is truly a world class destination, deserving of their reviews and accolades, overall facilities are amazingly beautiful, very high quality furnishings, decor, and Mexican art. The architecture incredible, views from everywhere are spectacular. Rooms are to die for, huge patio, big private pool, amazing bathroom, comfortable bedroom, spacious closet, etc. a drawback with our room was we were on the lowest level, although I had requested a higher level a month in advance during low season. General views are great, but there is a big rock field immediately below the entire room, and an AC above us was leaking the entire time onto our bedroom balcony.

The disappointing experiences started with the first room service order, a quick hamburger to take care of our immediate hunger once we arrived at the hotel. It was really disgusting, obviously a preformed frozen burger, similar to what you get at COSTCO. You would think a place like this would have fresh baked buns, hand cut French fries, especially for $18USD. Nothing like that at all, I would have been much happier at Burger King. We choked it down, and I was determined to forget about it and keep a positive attitude.

We stayed at the Hotel most of the time, enjoying the privacy and our pool. We ate at the restaurant, decent food, but nothing spectacular. The traditional Mexican dishes lacked true flavor and spice, (we live in Mexico City and travel extensively all over Mexico). The regional dish from Yucatan "Cochinita Pibil" lacked the traditional Habanero relish, and the chef was unable to provide any habanero in any form until our meal was over. He later told us the the americans don't eat spicy food. REALLY? And what about your Mexican clientele.

The third day I woke up in the morning with obvious food poisoning; major stomach cramps, along with everything else. I could not get out of bed (or the bathroom) for a full day and a half of our short 5 day stay. We called reception, they offered their on call doctor and sent bottled water and pepto. No real concern seemed to be expressed from management. I had to go find the manager the next day who was apologetic but defensive of their restaurant, although this was the only place that I ate for the previous three days.

I later received a note from the same manager along with a courtesy bottle of wine. Can anyone believe this? Who gives a sick person with food poisoning a bottle of wine. And the irony continues - we also got a free dinner at the very restaurant where I got sick. Oh well, I was feeling better our last night, and there aren't other dining spots nearby, so I played it safe, soup, chicken, etc. the complementary dinner was just for the main course, they charged us for the appetizers, dessert, drinks, etc. you got to be kidding!

We left the next day. My gut didn't get back to normal until two weeks later and a visit to my family doctor and antibiotics to kill whatever I had. The worst of it all is my follow-up communications with the General Manager expressing my concerns and disappointment went unanswered.

Definitely not what I was expecting from a place like this. I wasted my hard earned money and vacation time for nothing but a sick feeling in my stomach, both literally and figuratively!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
24  Thank Travel8286
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My wife and I honeymooned here and have many fond memories of our week. We felt that we had the hotel to ourselves, and marveled at the way the hotel seemed designed to generate a cool breeze even though it was quite hot (we were there in June). What we really rave about is the food--we both love Mexican food, and look back on the food there as some of the best we've ever had. It doesn't hurt that Guerrero provides fresh ingredients. We also received very attentive service, and enjoyed our own plunge pool, the hotel pools, and the gym and spa.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple