“A Mexico perfect spot to Relax, Luxury..Yes!”

Villa del Sol Resort
Ranked #10 of 78 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Excellent resort. cleanest and best service ever! The food outstanding, the the staff go far & beyond to make your stay pleasant. I love there were no elevators , you walk straight to your villas. The beach and pools are not crowded and very clean and exclusive. You always have a view with a quiet and tranquile sound of the waves . Food was excellent . always choose seafood because is super fresh and not frozen like in the states.

Room Tip: The rooms with the pool inside were beautiful
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
CBdelaM, General Manager at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Dear Vicky K

Thank you for providing your comments regarding your recent stay at Viceroy Zihuatanejo.

On behalf of all the staff we appreciate your preference and we really look forward to keep welcoming you for many years to come.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

We have been to this hotel before it was Viceroy. We decided to go for my husbands 40th birthday and went with a total of 22 of us. The hotel rooms are (Beach Suite) is beautiful with a plunge pool and the resort location is perfect. Such a special spot and close to very nice restaurants. The staff were so accommodating, especially the hotel Sales and Concierge. They went out of their way to make this special celebration better than expected. The staff were friendly and very "at your service". They set up a fire pit with lounge chairs on the beach for us just so we can all sit around and talk at night, without us asking. They set up spaces for our group out by the pool every day. The birthday celebration was extremely amazing. We did a beach bbq buffet for our guests and the lobster was best we have ever had, food was amazing. They set up the event under the yoga pavilion with candles and flowers and made it look like an intimate wedding. I worked with Angelica in sales on what I wanted but she went out of her way to make it all extra special. Flowers on the bed on my husbands birthday, that spelled out "Happy 40th birthday". This is the kind of service you will get at that hotel. I will go back anytime and it is so relaxing and feels like your in an island of it's own. Great beach to run or walk, and lot's of activities to do in the ocean. I would recommend for a wedding or event or just to go and relax. It is not for kids. I would not make a family trip out of it. Good for couples.

Room Tip: Beach Suite on South side at far end of hotel is quiet and has amazing view
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
CBdelaM, General Manager at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Dear Marcie71.

Read these comments motivate us to continue providing a quality service you deserve.

Thank you for choosing us to celebrate your husband’s birthday. We hope to welcome you back and not to distance future.

Reviewed 26 May 2012

I have mixed feelings about the Viceroy, so I will do my best to be objective here and helpful to other readers. First, the things that were really good: The beach is quite nice and the beach chairs are right up on the beach. The view is pretty. The sounds of the waves are beautiful. The sand and water are very nice. The food was solid. Not great, but there were moments of "yum" and moments of "just ok".

Now one big caveat: we are picky travellers and hotel junkies who have had the privelege of staying in really nice hotels in many parts of the world. We are spoiled. But we completelely agree with other reviewers that this is not at the level of La Casa que Canta (we went there first for 5 nights, and it was hard to "trade down" to the Viceroy) or La Palmilla (One and Only) or such hotels that are truly topline.

We stayed in Beach Suite 3, which of the beach suites seems to be one of the best views (BS's #1, 2, 3 seem to have the best location). The room had a gorgeous view, to be sure (by the way, we do NOT recommend BS #8/9 - they put us there first, and they weren't beach front and still cost a lot of $. To their credit, they moved us promptly when we complained). But, the private plunge pool made a gurling sound all the time (plumbing wasn't working properly); the sinks didn't drain properly; the decor was generic "Pier 1" decor. it wasn't even close to the level of taste/detail of La Casa. There were also lights that were out and not replaced. There was just a level of attention and care that was missing.

On the beach, the beach covers on the chairs were dingy. The beach wasn't even picked up every night (i.e., cigarette butts around our chair in the morning, and sugar wrapper). Also, as some other reviewers have noted, the bathrooms are not well ventilated and they are dark.

We paid for a top-level room, and didn't feel the hotel stood up to the price. We would not go back for this reason.

However, we do have a recommendation. We WOULD get a superior room (not pay for the beach front), and then rent one of the swinging bed palapas for $30/day, where you can really camp out. Then, at a much better price, we feel the Viceroy would be an appopriate value for the money. Our disappointment was for the quality/experience relative to the price we were paying. If you are looking for a high-end experience, we highly recommend La Casa Que Canta - it's outstanding!!!

If you are not looking in that price tier, we recommend what we say in the paragraph above, and we think you could be very pleased.

The staff are mixed: some are amazing, and others feel like they are going through the motions. So spotty there. But some wonderful people (Francisco in the mornings at breakfast, for example, and Juan in the afternoons/evenings).

So I'm giving this an "average" rating because of the value we received for the price we paid. I hope this is helpful.....

Room Tip: if you're paying for a beach suite, go with 1, 2 or 3 (1 being ground floor). do not recommend...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank bielie

Dear bielie,

Warmest greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo.

I appreciate your feedback especially in such a positive and constructive way you did. We will keep all the good things you mentioned and we will take the suggestions to improve our service and make you continue returning to our beautiful paradise.

Thanks a lot for taking your time to help us to be better for you.

Please let me know when will be your next trip to our place to make sure you have a memorable stay.

General Manager,

Reviewed 16 May 2012

Just returned from the most amazing vacation in Mexico. The Viceroy Zihuatanejo was the most exclusive, luxurious hotel we've ever stayed at. Situated on a perfect quiet beach on a beautiful bay, this resort felt like an inclusive resort for the rich and famous. We were upgraded to a beach suite with a plunge pool. Amazing! The resort was quiet, the food was delicious. We never had to leave the property (even though we did venture into Ixtapa to swim with dolphins!) All of the staff knew our name and treated us like long lost friends. It was our 10-year anniversary and the chef put together a Chilean Wine-tasting menu just for us. 7 different varietals of Chilean wine accompanied our 7-course tasting menu, ending with sea bass and sliced rib-eye. And it was just for us in their private wine cellar! Overall, most beautiful, luxurious, relaxing vacation we have ever had! Thanks Viceroy!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Geordie W

Dear Geordie W.

Warmest Greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo !

Im glad to know that your anniversary have been enjoyable we will ensure that each time you return to our piece of paradise will be even better.

Thanks for your preference and we forward to see you soon.

Gerente General

Reviewed 11 May 2012

This hotel is fantastic. Everything from the food, service, accommodations, views, you name it. The staff was amazing and made our stay absolute bliss. I am literally looking up dates to go back now. Next time I would like to get a larger room on the beach, not all the rooms are right on the beach. We only left the Viceroy once because we really didn't want to leave, it was that amazing.

Room Tip: Upgrade for a room on the beach with a private pool. It would be worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StephanieEK

Dear Sthepes

I like to thank you for such a nice comment, will be a pleasure to welcome you back please let me know when are you planning to visit us to make sure you have a memorable stay.

On behalf of the staff we look forward to see you in not to distance future.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

So this is our 3rd time back and once again we had the best time and cannot wait to go back! The resort is just so beautiful and relaxing and the beach front is definitely key. We again stayed for 4 nights but it was not long enough. Next time (which will be again at the end of October) we are going for at least 5 nights and bringing a bunch of our friends. I never thought that I could find a vacation spot that I want to return to over and over...until now. Carlos Blanco, the manager is truly one of the best in the business and such a nice person. His warmth, thoughtfulness and professionalism is so above scale and it shows with the rest of his staff. Everyone is just so wonderful and professional at the resort. They make you feel like the resort is your second home and some of the staff that we spoke with a lot the last time we were there remembered us immediately and even knew exactly when we had been there. I really cannot say enough about Carols, Juan (bartender) and Erieberto. I feel like we have made some wonderful friends at the resort and look forward to seeing them again in October. We sent friends to the resort a few weeks before we went and they loved it so much they stayed an extra night and didn't want to leave. Take a catamaran ride with Miguel on the beach....he's great! It is truly paradise and perfection in every way.

Room Tip: the lagoon suites and beach suites are beautiful
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jrdorogi
CBdelaM, General Manager at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Dear jrk89.

Warmest greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo.

I appreciate your feedback especially in such a positive and constructive way you did. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and really look forward to keep welcoming you for many years to come.

Else we know that in you we have new friends’ thanks a lot for that and for your preference.

Please contact me if there is anything you need.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Bought my 72 year old Mum and 75 year old Aunt here and they loved it. Something for all ages; a very large pool and well equipped gym & tennis courts with coach for the sportingly inclined, smaller pools for cooling off, including a swim up bar with backgammon for the more sedate, and what appeared to be a very luxurious spa. The location is perfect, bang in the centre of a crecent shaped bay, with one of the best beaches in the area. You fall out of the bar straight onto the beach, which has maintained a laid back hippy vibe. This is a plus at night time, as if you want a change from the ( very good) hotel cuisine, the are lots of nice little restaurants within a short stroll along the sand, so pack the sparkley flip flops rather than the heels to go with the evening wardrobe.
The hotel has a private beach area with comfortable sun beds, shade, and your
own dining table and chair, a nice touch for lunchtime snacks. If you want to splurge , they also have double swinging beds under a canopy, which kept the senior members of my party very happy.
Diversions on the beach include paragliding, banana boat rides, or a water taxi over to another beach. Yet because the beach is large and comparatively uncrowded, these activities do not distract from the chance to chill out and watch the cormorants swooping down to catch their lunch. A walk at sunrise is a bird lovers delight, and apart from the early morning runners you'll have the beach to yourself.
The spa was expensive, I opted instead to sample a number of the many beach massage/ manicure/ pedicure tent like structures set up by enterprising local women. Prices and quality vary, my favorite was the one at he hotel next door, villa Mexicana, where I had a sports massage which sorted out the aching muscles.
We went to a few of the theme evenings, where food was good and a local duo got us all up and dancing, fueled by the shots from the tequila tasting. Staff were all very friendly and helpful.
A good range of local tours, which although pricey, do give you the opportunity to see a more of the area, which I recommend. The sunset cruise is definitely one to book, take your camera for some amazing shots of the craggy rocks with nesting birdlife in stark silhouette.
We booked superior rooms and were disappointed with intitial rooms given, which did not look like those on the website and were small and pokey and right next to the bar. They changed when I went to query this, but we did have to wait for an hour for the rooms to be made up, not ideal after 2 days of traveling. In fairness, when I mentioned this to my tour operator on return, they sent an apology and a reasonable refund, which impressed me as I had not asked for one.
Worth going into the town, Coconuts restaurant is a must for a special meal , and we also had a fun night at Bandidos.

Room Tip: Book a superior. Avoid bar area.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
CBdelaM, General Manager at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Dear Seagullsview !!

Gracias for the comments you posted regarding your recent visit at Viceroy Zihuatanejo. It is only through your feedback that we can improve our services and amenities.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you decide to return to make sure you have a memorable stay.