“Great getaway”

Villa del Sol Resort
Ranked #11 of 79 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Loved this hotel. Used our plunge pool a lot. Comfortable rooms. Great beach. Went fishing and caught a huge sailfish. Captain took us to Playa Las Gatas where we had sailfish ceviche and grilled sailfish. Went snorkeling there while fish was being cooked. We were the only gringos there. Hotel food was fresh, healthy and delicious. The fact that we went during the summer meant that we often had the beach and pool to ourselves. Would love to return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Martin K, Director General at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Caspritchers,

Warmest Greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo !

Thank you very much for your recent visit, we are glad to hear that you enjoy our facilities, fishing and snorkelling.

Please stop visit us, we look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

Gracias,

GM

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Fantastic place, Very cozy, peaceful, I stayed at one of the suites, Just an amazing place, and amazing view, one of the few hotels that has direct access to the beach. The food and service is also excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for the suites, second or third floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luis M
Martin K, Director General at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Mr. Luis M,

I like to thank you for your nice comment. So glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything you need for your next trip. Until then gracias again.

Sincerly,

GM

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed again this year for easter at the Viceroy and the experience was amazing! Great food, really quiet and comfortable beach, great cooking, amazing staff and a great experience at the Spa (ask for Modesta). Make sure to reserve one of the big hanging beds at the beach!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Martin K, Director General at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear LuisAlbaK,

Warmest greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo !!

It was a true pleasure to have you stay with us again, we are pleased to learn that you enjoyed the facilities, food, service and the hospitality of our employees.

I am looking forward to be able to host you or your family and friends here at the Viceroy Hotel Zihuatanejo in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me in case I can be of any assistance.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Im in love with this place, second time we come for businness with a big group of people and their staff is the best, accomodations and food are just so refined..
Their food is the best, fresh seafood and the service provided to make the conference a success wS the attn to details the whole time

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Martin K, General Manager at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Vicky K,

Was a pleasure to have you with us again I am glad to learn that you enjoyed our services and facilities.

Looking forward to welcome back to all of you next year.

Thank you for your preference !!

Best regards,

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Pros:

The hotel is located on the nicest beach in Zihuatanejo and the staff on the beach did an excellent job of keeping the area clean.

The food on the beach (not from the hotel) was very tasty!

The broken AC mentioned below was promptly fixed both times it stopped working.

Cons:

The hotel is really a 3 star hotel charging 5 star prices.

The hotel is old and full of insects, and when I say insects I mean thousands of ants all over the bed, the bathroom, the walls. It makes me itch thinking of it!

Our AC was not working one day and one night (separate days) which made it impossible to sleep.

The food was mediocre at best and 2-3 times the costs of the adjacent restaurants.

We had erratic cleaning of our room at various times of the day and turn down service only one of the 8 nights we stayed there.

There was erratic beach service through the stay, sometimes they beach staff responded quickly, sometimes they didn't respond for 45 minutes or so. It is an antiquated system of raising a flag on the palm tree to signal for service so i don't blame the staff. They were very nice, helpful and thoughtful.

The hotel will gouge you in terms of activities to do like deep sea fishing and the "zip line" course. They charged us almost double what the front desk at the course told us it would cost had we gone without the hotel. And that does not include the taxi ride out.

Skip the zipline course. It is more of a ropes course and the whole experience was underwhelming.

"Deep Sea" fishing was about a mile off the coast. The boat was an old beat up "Panang" boat which looked nothing like the pictures shown to us, despite this, we caught five fish of which the captain selected the smallest three for a restaurant to cook for us. They did a great job in preparing the fish and it was plenty of food, but once again, deceptive practices. They also stopped for us to snorkel in what can best be described as a cesspool. The visibility was so low due to the heavy surf in the area and there was not much underwater fauna to even look at. The equipment was half broken and very old. While I know the hotel does not directly provide this service, they did book it for us and charged us a premium to do so, so they get the review for it! We later found out, that once again, we were charged double the going rate for this trip.

Maybe I am spoiled with the hotels I have stayed at before, but i am used to getting a better deal from the hotel than from going directly the vendor. Lesson learned.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Garden and did not have problems with birds stealing our baked goods and coffee sug...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MinkuC

Dear MinkuC,
thank you very much for the feedback you have provided to us. My apology that we have not been able to meet your expectations here on property as well as through the local vendors we use.
Service consistency is where we are striving for constantly, we are looking for service consistency and product offerings; it seems that were not able to show the same to you.
Rest assured that I will look at our sophisticated pest control system to identify how your experience in your accomodation could have happened. We have secured the best vendors available here in Zihuatanejo and are conducting regular checks of operating equipment and tours, my apology that the available amenities have not been to your satisfaction.
I hope to be able to show you a better side of Viceroy Zihuatanejo in the future

Reviewed 5 March 2014

What a let down. When we first made our reservation we decided to upgrade to a Lagoon Suite. The resort was about half full but for some reason they put us in a room located about 50 feet from the front desk. That foot traffic was the least of the problem. About 75 feet from our room were barking dogs, commercial trucks backing up and beeping and local street traffic, enough to wake us up on vacation at 6:15am. We inquired about switching rooms, but decided to upgrade to a beach suite, to get away from the noisy road one would not expect at a Mexican getaway. The day after I complained about our 1st room, my wallet went missing from my second room. The front desk people couldn't care and seemed to not to want to be bothered. Everything except the food was just a little off at this so called "Viceroy." When I say the place is just a little off, it ranges from, why ask what time we want coffee left outside our room in the morning, and when we say 9:30am, they drop it off at 7:30am so it is cold when we get up? Why have a do not disturb sign on the door and have someone knock on the door asking if we need anything? It is also not bad enough that every ten minutes on the beach, someone is peddling an ashtray or a hat, which i am quite used to in Mexico, we movie our chairs closer to the pool, we then have the tennis pro peddling lessons to us while we are lying down. To flush are toilet, we have to fill the back of the tank with a garbage full of water. The internet cuts out every 5 minutes. They have 7 different logins and they all cut out. In the year 2014, there should be more then 3 or 4 television stations in English, based on the amount of American guests. The property is worn out and the spa should be ashamed to call itself a spa. I am not a letter writer and was hesitant about writing this review, waiting to hear back from the survey the hotel sent me on January 31st, but I guess as it has been a month, i will not hear back. The Viceroy has so many great properties, they should truly be ashamed to have their name on this one.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is far from the street. nothing worse then being woken up early on vacation.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank MichaelFromNY
Martin K, General Manager at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear MichaelFromNY,
first of all my apology for your experiences with us here in our hotel in Zihuatanejo. I am very sorry about the noise issues you have experienced in this otherwise very quiet neighbourhood on Playa La Ropa as well as the service glitches you have observed while on property. We are striving for excellence here at the Viceroy and are continuing to do so, consistent service delivery is our goal.
Rest assured that we will be looking into all of the same, we will be in touch and hopefully are able to show you a different side of Viceroy Zihuatanejo in the future.
Warm regards

Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

What a fabulous resort. I cannot say tell you every positive experience I had at the viceroy hotel in zihua. It would take wayyy too long. From our reception by Hector, to birthday cake for dessert watching the sunset by the ocean. Quite a special way to celebrate my 33rd bday and our honeymoon.

We stayed 14 nights at viceroy in two different suites. Both were beachfront suites (bs7 and bs10) both had wireless internet, flat screens air conditioning and a plunge pool(a small wading pool that is about 2-3 feet deep.) A very nice way to cool off after a hot day out and about. We enjoyed the views from both suites. Especially BS7 although bs10 was very private and off to the side.

The staff will take care of literally any request you have. They are always happy to see you and to help you. We enjoyed breakfast as part of our Expedia deal we purchased. Anything we wanted at the viceroys breakfast restaurant. I believe it was called the villa? We would always get fresh fruit, fresh rolls that are made there at viceroy, juices and lattes. Eggs Benedict or huevos rancheros. They also have a fancy option for dinner at the resort. La marea. It's pricey, but I had steak and lobster. The lobster was amazing but the steak was a little ehhhh. No complaints tho! I was in paradise. Everyone told us we were crazy for choosing Mexico for our honeymoon but it was perfect. The resort wasn't busy, so we got to really enjoy each other and all the pools were near empty. No waits at the restaurants. It was how a honeymoon should be. I have to mention the cleaning service. They do a fantastic job not being too invasive. Trips to Vegas or even Hawaii I feel I've been woken up by the housecleaning person trying to run you out of the room. Not at viceroy. They seemed to get used to my wife and I's schedule and never bothered us. They would leave a message or a picture laid out in flower petals from resort plants on our bed everyday and night! Quite romantic. Did I mention the viceroy is great? I hear it does get busy in high season(November-January) so u recommend going in August or September. It is hotter in August tho! Be ready for some heat! Lol.

We had a bit of luck on our trip as well. The viceroy collects eggs from sea turtles and incubates them until little turtles hatch. Then, every couple weeks viceroy staff brings the baby turtles out to playa la ropa where the babies are released back into the wild to hopefully become a mature sea turtle and replenish the sea turtle population. My wife and I had finished dinner on playa la ropa and were taking in the sunset on our walk back to viceroy and we saw a small crowd gathered on the beach. Sure enough about 200 little turtles were about to make their voyage home to the sea. We sat and watch along with one of the more beautiful sunsets of our 2 week stay. As they released the turtles, we all got to grab one and make sure it found it's way back to sea! It was an amazing experience!

Like I said, too many fantastic things happened on our stay at The Viceroy and Zihua to list. The Viceroy made us feel like it was our honeymoon and, for a few weeks I was truly on vacation. Thank you Viceroy!

• Stayed: August 2013
Martin K, General Manager at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear MikeandMeliss,

Read these comments motivate us to continue providing a quality service you deserve.

Thank you for choosing us to spend your honeymoon. We hope to welcome you back and not to distance future.

Gracias,