The Tides is situated right on Playa la Ropa, one of the more desirable beaches in Zihuatanejo. It is a very attractive property and the rooms have been recently redone under new ownership. If you are going to Zihua and want a comfortable upscale place to stay, this is certainly a choice. But for my money, I would think anyone paying these prices would have a lot of options around the world for luxury at the beach. The Tides would not be anywhere near the top of my list.
It is a beautiful location, right on the beach with several pools looking out over the ocean. The rooms are recently upgraded. There is a lot of staff. The food is very good. There is no nightclub or loud after hours scene. When we were there, the place was nearly empty.
We paid a discount rate of $325 per night, which when you add the 23% (soon to be 24%) Mexican tax, comes to about $400. Food prices were comparable. At these prices (let alone the $500 plus rack rate), in Mexico, you might expect Four Seasons or even Hyatt Regency type amenities and service. You would be very disappointed.
I had read several reviews commenting on over-billing at checkout so I dutifully reviewed my charges. This was not easy given the confusing bill presentation the hotel uses. But I was able to determine, I think, that there were no overcharges. But they ended up charging my room rate in pesos at an inflated USD exchange rate that cost me about 5% extra. I find this sort of petty dishonesty to be tiresome.
Bottom line. If you do not mind overpaying and are determined to have a luxury beach experience in Zihuatanejo, this could be your choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cool garden waterfalls, enchanted lagoons and elegant adobe-inspired villas nestle along one of Mexico's premier beaches to make up the romantic Villa del Sol Resort, Zihuatanejo, A Destination Luxury Hotel ocean views across a tranquil beach. Relaxed contentment is made complete with award winning Mexican as well as Pacific Seafood cuisine, 3 swimming pools including a spectacular seaside infinity pool, an intimate spa and superb service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Villa del Sol Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Tides Zihuatanejo Hotel Zihuatanejo
- The Tides Hotel Zihuatanejo
- The Tides Resort Zihuatanejo
- Villa Del Sol Zihuatanejo
- Tides Zihuatanejo