“One of the nicest hotels I've stayed in on a vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Irma

Hotel Irma
Ranked #9 of 80 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Eau Claire, WI
“One of the nicest hotels I've stayed in on a vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2010

wonderfull service, clean and spacious rooms, friendly and helpful staff. Had a problem with my credit card - the hotel security guard found me an english speaking cab driver who took me to a bank, stayed with me while the glitch was solved and brought me back. The food is great, views are fabulous. How the staff remembered our names (12 of us) I'll never know but we sure felt pampered. For a hotel built in the 40's, you'd never know. Beautiful and very clean.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wisconsinkay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2009

Perhaps because it was a slower time of year the staff all learned our names as we did theirs. The service was helpful and prompt (a problem with the air conditioner was attended to within 15 minutes at 9pm and was rechecked the next day). The pools are quite nice and clean with not too much chlorine. We only wish we had taken advantage of the spa resources as they were highly recommended by one of our fellow guests.
Situated on the edge of Playa Madera it was an easy walk into town and just over the hill to Playa la ropa, both great destinations.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

We were advised to go to Irma by friends who praised the location, amenities, and over all, the staff. My goal is always to shoot images for use in my photo business so the fact Irma is within walking distance of the town is a great plus.
When we arrived and were quickly checked in to the ocean view room we requested (If you dont want to walk upstairs or not have a view you need to arrange it in advance) I immediately lost incentive to rush out and photograph. Rather we had a few beers and then sat and listened to the ocean. Irma sits up on a bluff so you have a great view of sunset but you need to be fit enough to walk up to her. If you want you can get a taxi to go into town and come back.
The restaurant overlooks the pool area and the Pacific Ocean. If you want a table with the best view you need to get there early. The food is basic and good with decent portions. The staff learn who you are and they begin to know your preferences. They speak English but are happy when you try your Spanish.
Some of the best food is the afternoon snack hamburger cooked right out on the deck. The fries are great and the burger with 'special sauce' is one of the best I have ever had.
The pools are not huge but there is a nice infinity pool to hang over the wall and see the ocean.
My colleague had a massage and said it is overpriced and not very good so stay away.
The room itself is all cement with colorful paint and the double beds are fixed to the floor. You get used to this and the room is fun . We had excellent air conditioning although some rooms may only have fans. Be aware that they use some sort of bug spray in the rooms before you check in. So we saw no bugs.
There is a safe in the room to take care of valuables. But we left things out and had no problems.
Servicing of rooms can be a little strange with towels not being changed when you think they will be but you can always go to the desk for some.
The entry to the hotel is usually lit at night by candles, a nice touch.
The desk will summon cabs and recommend restaurants.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank dicko69
Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2009

We took the bus from México in the evening, and arrived very early to Zihuatenjo. The staff was very, very friendly and gave us a room right away. The rooms were clean and big enough. The pool area was very nice - two pools! The staff was really nice and extremely friendly. They told us some great things that we could do in the evening. In August, even if it is low-season, the weather is really nice and the fact that the hotel wasn't that crowded was really nice as well. Hotel Irma is very well located, so you could easily walk to town or to the other beach Playa La Ropa.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jekiffvoyager
Mexico D.F.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

Hi.

We are from Mexico D.F. and went to Zihuatanejo from April 30 to May 03, 2009.

Our bus left the bus station at 21:00 hrs. on time, at 7:00 am, we are on Zihuatanejo at Irma's Hotel.

The hotel was good, the service and the employers too. The hotel isn´t big like a GT complex, but was confortable and nice, some times was noisy.

Our room was comfy, with a great view of Zihuatanejo's Bay.

To reach the beach we had to use the hotel stairs to go down and walk on the malecon, the other way is to leave the hotel by the main entrace, walk through the parking lot and go down the street, then turn left and go straight.

The beach is clean and you can swim on the sea, but with some caution.

The hotel offers some activities like, fishing, scuba diving, snorkeling, bike ride, and some others. You can ask on the reception to get more information.

The food on the hotel was good, but just that. To get a table in the restaurant you need to get up early, cause the restaurant doesn´t have capacity for all his guest.

The hotel has 2 pools and both have warm water.

In the reception hall you can use the wireless network or borrow a book from the shelf.

The hotel are on the edge of a cliff and has a magnificent view of the Zihuatanejo Bay.

Our stay was pretty good, calm, funny and relaxing, there's no variety in night life, and there's no nearby store or drug store, you will need to walk to the city town center.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank iOZCharlie
mpls,mn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2009

My second trip to the area, 3 years ago stayed in Ixtapa. Good things to be said about both places, but for relaxing stay and ease of access to town you can't beat staying right in the area. Hotel Irma was a gem, the view, the staff was friendly [especially Marcos and the rest of the guys], the view, the place was clean, did I mention the view? My room had a limited view, but I just slept and showered there, for a view I just went to my cunados room and had coffee and wine on his patio. We rented a car for 2 days and made side trips to Troncones, Petatlan, and Barra de Potosi, all great places to see, and at Troncones and Barra, fantastic places to have cerveza and guacamole while watching the waves. As far as the food at the hotel, we usually try to go to different places when we go to Mexico so I only had 2 meals at the Irma and based on that I saw that the cooks tend to make sure everything is cooked well, don't expect any over easy eggs. In saying that, I did see some very good looking Mexican style dishes other people were having. I did have some very good meals at Daniel's, Il Mare [what a view here], Rufo's, and [my second MEMORABLE meal in 8 trips to Mexico] Casa Vieja. The steps to the beach are long but not tiring as there are numerous landings to rest, if needed. Be sure to have a massage, something I will have to do more often. As there is no elevator, try to stay on level 3 or lower [the lobby and restaurant are actually on the second level]. One thing we found out, at the end of our stay, the beach and water of Playa Madera is extremely user friendly. Even on calm days you have rollers so use common sense and watch over your shoulder, at 5'7" I was able to go 75yds and still be standing neck deep watch for a roller and get a lift in for 10-15 yds. Being a single male I didn't get sculptured towels [no need], but my room was cleaned very well every day and I never had a problem with any service. Would I recommend this hotel to friends? I would recommend this place to anyone, I would never hesitate to return to the Irma.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ron C
Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2009

We loved this place! Found this place after leaving our RCI exchange resort we were unhappy with.The view was awesome, we had one of the rooms off the patio, own porch, not alot of guest most of the week, so very quite, all the staff was very helpful. Location, walked everywhere.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple