“Perfect for us!”

Villa Mexicana Hotel
Ranked #23 of 79 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
“Perfect for us!”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We were forunate in that the first room offered to us was perfect. #1407 has an obstructed ocean view, obstructions being a couple of pillars from adjoining balconies and [palm trees. and overlooked all pools. No extra charge. #1401 also has a partial view, no charge. Hope they will still be available to us next year. I almost hesitate to review good places, not wanting them to be too full to accomodate me!
We found the restaurant to be just OK but could have been our selection off the menu and not always knowing what we were ordering. To be fair, we only ate one breakfast and supper there, the first night & first morning. We did have them cook up our sailfish catch, for a 'catered' party for 6 and it was wonderful!
The walk to town seems daunting the first time out but is actually quite easy. We always left via the steps at the north end of the beach and at the Irma you have several choices of how to proceed. The main road being the least favorable to us. Watch your step, day & night, sidewalk conditions a huge liability! We always taxied back as we were usually carrying something. Never used the bus, this trip, but it was easy & cheap last year when we visited la Ropa for just the day. We spent two weeks at Barra de Potosi last year. Loved both places for differant reasons.
Somehow I missed the lady fruit vendor until the last couple of days. She has fabulous pineapple. Much better than any we had on fruit plates in restaurants. Not sure I would buy the strawberries but felt that anything peeled would be OK.
Always meant to check out the Villas Las Azucenas or Casa Iquana just up the street, thinking they may be cheaper, and allow us to stay longer. Both very close to the beach and all restauants are set up to accomodate you for the day, if consuming. No towel games that way. You can't really blame the hotel for misbehaviour of the guests. The staff has other things to do than time towel placements. We used our loungers extensively and always removed our towels if going to town. We often pointed others who were searching for a spot, to loungers that had been unoccopied despite towels and never saw any confrontations.
Yes the beds are hard. Again, just never got around to asking for a foam topper but they are available. I folded the unneeded polar fleece blanket in three and slept on that, helped alot. And the beds didn't seem hard until the 2nd week. Go figure!
We asked for a left over cooler the first day, a tip we learned on this forum, and had one in our room next time we went in. Bar staff is accomodating for small amounts of ice and sometimes refused our offered tip. We would take them two large ziplock bags and they worked well. Large bags of ice are available close by and only $12 pesos at the Commercial Mexicana.
The comments about slow service, in all restuartants, are relative. If we were in a hurry, such as our last lunch before leaving for the airport, we told the waiter and all was fine. Some travelloers do not know that in Mexico, your check/bill is not brought to you until asked for.
We would definitely recommend this hotel to our friends, unless they are 5 stars snobs and we don't have many friends who are! We met many people there and the vast majority were happy with their choice.
Location, beach front & centre is perfect!

4 Thank needshendy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel several times many years ago, and have also stayed in Ixtapa and several other places in Mexico, and beyond. You must really define what you want in a vacation before you book anywhere.

This was not an all-inclusive vacation, and does not provide endless activities and entertainment. It is a low rise hotel right on one of the most beautiful beaches in Mexico. When you dress for dinner, you walk to the restaurants next door barefoot in the sand, you sit at the beach surrounded by candlelit lanterns and eat excellent Mexican food - grilled Huachinango (red snapper) ceviche, tortilla soup.

Zhiuatanejo is a traditional Mexican town that sits on a bay, with 4 beaches - one in town, Madera beach which has a seawalk, La Ropa - the largest and most beautiful where our hotel is situated and Las Gatas accessed by water taxi. You can walk into town(20 Minutes & hilly), or take the bus for less than $1.00 or taxi $4.00 (5 min). In town there are beach front restaurants, a huge Mercado (market with fruit/spices/ sandals etc), banks with ABM's including a Scotiabank, lots of shops, pastry shops and a craft market. There are a couple of beautiful carpet shops selling traditional hand made carpets (Ciela Zapoteca).

For dining La Ropa beach has several good restaurants of note Paty's Marimar beside the Villa Mexicana Hotel, with excellent food, great Margaritas, a yoga studio and a spa offering massages and reflexology (app $25/hr) Our hotel provides open air massages as well. I had a great massage for 300 ($25) - well worth it!

The restaurants in town were very good - try the wonderful green posole soup and delightful tamales at Any's, the chile relleno and fish tirita at Lety's across the bridge, or the huevos rancheros at any breakfast spot.
Also excellent as a refreshment order the juices - freshly pureed mango, orange or pineapple. The cold beer served in the bottle with lime is very good as well (Pacifico). There are a cluster of good restaurants before you get into town on calle Adelita just beside the canal. This can be accessed from the seawalk on Madera beach, or by bus heading into town.

The hotel has been updated and now has 3 pools. We always seemed to find a lounger and there is lots of shade from the palapas and palm trees. The rooms facing the ocean and the pool areas are nice - the ground level rooms haves terraces, and the upper level rooms have balconies and are a little more private. The rooms are clean and comfortable. A bottle of water is provided daily, there is a hair blow dryer and TV . There is a safe in the room (refundable deposit required) The hotel has a good restaurant, provides free coffee between 7-8 a.m. (no coffee maker in the room), 2 for 1 happy hour and free wi fi at a circle in the pool area which is a good opportunity to connect with other guests. There were a couple of families with young children, but most of the crowd was the almost retired age group. We met many Canadians/Americans who winter here. La Ropa beach is quiet and informal with no huge high rise hotels. The beach strip is accessed by walking only. I suggest ordering and buying pesos at your bank before you leave home.

6 Thank JZener
Rogers, Minnesota
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Our first stay here and we have already reserved for two weeks next January. The rooms are simple, clean and adequate; no furniture other than the mattress. Not a luxury property, but great for the price. Nice towels, could use a few more hangers. As others have said, the beds are hard (no box spring, only the mattress on a cement platform). But you don't spend much time in your room. We purchased a styrofoam cooler for beverages to keep in our room. There should be someway to reuse these, maybe pay for it at the hotel, then get a refund if you turn it in in good condition. We just gave ours to someone who wasn't leaving. The hotel provides you with 1 bottle of water each day. The wi-fi is free in an area between the infinity pool and the restaurant.

I agree with other reviews I've read in regards to trying to get an ocean view room. We were told when we checked in on Monday that we would be put on a list. We happened to find a couple we knew were leaving on Thursday, so we went to the desk and we were told (Tuesday) we could have their room on Thursday. We checked with the desk on Wednesday evening and were assured it was all set for tomorrow. On Thursday morning when we went to the desk, we were told it was booked ahead of time for a wedding and they did not have any ocean view rooms available. It took getting the manager involved for them to give us a different ocean view room. I know that everyone wants an ocean view room, but they really do need to have a fair system to avoid this problem. For next year's reservation, we signed a book and put down actual room numbers we would like to request. We'll see if that does any good. The staff is mostly friendly and helpful, especially Eloisa at the front desk, who gave us her email address to confirm next year's reservation.

The location is absolutely the best! Like everyone has said, the location is absolutely perfect on Playa La Ropa. Every restaurant along the beach has wonderful food. We actually ate dinner at Villa Mexicana's Resturant 3 times! The bacon wrapped shrimp were that good. Happy hour is great with 2 for 1 drinks from 5-7. Perfect for watching the sunset. They do have a problem with people leaving their beach towels on chairs to reserve them, then they sit empty all day and thus have no chairs available for people needing them. If everyone only used the chairs when they actually were there, there would be enough for everyone. The hotel has a statement in the rooms that towels will be removed from chairs, but it's not enforced and there's no deposit required for the towels. The other guests at the hotel are mostly middle aged and friendly Americans and Canadians and most are repeat customers.

You can easily walk the length of the beach. The walk into town is a little bit of a hike on a hot day, but the bus is really cheap (6.5 pesos per person) and only a 2 block walk away. We were able to walk to Playa Las Gatas from the hotel. You go to the left to the end of the beach, onto a dirt path, then on a trail along the shore over rocks; be sure to wear some shoes as it could be slippery and hard on the feet.

A highlight on our last night was releasing 70 baby sea turtles into the ocean at sunset. We were sitting in the restaurant and the manager, Zandra, came and asked us if we would like to help release the turtles. Their nest had been found the previous night by the hotel staff and the turtles were rescued so they could be safely released into the ocean. It was something I will never forget. One week was not enough. I can't wait to come back next year for two weeks.

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth the extra cost! Be persistent to get one.
1 Thank Susan L
Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This was not my first stay at Villa Mexicana, and it will not be my last.
With this said, I was very disappointed this year and hope to see improvement in the future.
While booking our stay, no where on the website does it allow for a "waterview" room request (my dates are flexible). I pointed this out to the gentleman at the front desk, he could have cared less.
I asked him if a room became available, could I please move. He informed me there would be nothing available.
Day 2, while swimming, I see many people checking into unoccupied waterview rooms. This upset me a bit as I was told "no rooms would be available".
At my insistance, I was able to get a ground floor room, no view. Okay for this trip, though the man at the front desk could have certainly had a better attitude and been much more hospitable, as all seem to be on Playa la ropa.
We love eating at their restaurant (their food is d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s), however, the service was H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E! The wait for water, ordering, food delivery, and even check delivery was ridiculous, something I had not experienced in years past.
In closing, the wonderful little villa in the middle is delightful. I do remember bar service there before, but apparently not now. Not even when servers walk by to perhaps deliver a drink that had been ordered by me at the bar, do they clean up plates/glasses/trash/etc. sitting on the table top. Therefore, while we enjoyed our drinks and played games or worked on laptops, we were also forced to look at dirty dishes belonging to someone else.
Not impressed this trip but am hopeful things will change.

Room Tip: Try to call the hotel direct to request a waterview room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Chris N
South St. Paul, MN
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I reviewed this hotel in January 2009 and haven't been back in 5 years. I was there last week, and the issues regarding booking rooms remain, but are not quite the same. It used to be that all the rooms were the same price, but the quality varied. Some were ocean view, some were pool view, and some had virtually no view and no outdoor patio space. Now you can get an ocean view room if you pay more, BUT you have to wait until you get to the hotel to try to get the room. I was willing to pay more for an ocean view (or at least a pool view) room, but the staff tried to stick me (a single woman) is a room with a lovely view of the parking lot. Seems to me at most other hotels in the western world, you can pick the quality of room you want to book at the time of booking. Here I was told by the desk staff if I wanted to book for 2015, I couldn't reserve an ocean view room. I was told I would have to call down to Mexico at some unspecified time and tell them I wanted an ocean view room. In speaking to other hotel guests, they said they had called and they still didn't get an ocean view room.
I refused the first room the hotel tried to put me in and finally got a room that overlooked a courtyard but which had no patio space. After two days of persistent asking at the desk, I was finally moved to a room that overlooked the swimming pool and one that included an outdoor patio. I would have been happy to pay extra for the room I eventually got if I could have booked it online and not gone through the irritations. I won't say that I wouldn't stay here again, but I just do not understand why they want to antagonize people so much.
Other than the horrible booking policies, this is a great hotel for the money. The location is good, and the beach is beautiful. I just wish they would go into at least the 20th century on their booking policies - let alone the 21st century.

Room Tip: There are rooms that have virtually no outdoor space. This may be fine for some people, but I want...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SSP
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Many travelers are repeat each year and two weeks to month is a norm. This resort is loved by Mexican tourists as well. Was busy the first part of January. After the holiday time mostly USA -Minnesota and western Canadians alta and BC. Right on the ocean and the sand is amazingly soft. Approx 8 close by beach restaurants on the beach for breakfast/lunch or dinner. Villa has a 2-for1 from 5-7 as well and the drinks are not watered down. Our room was very clean and cleaning staff was accommodating . We usually tipped 5/day dollars. Need styro cooler from resort if your lucky or purchase a local store to keep your drinks and food stuff cold. No coffee maker. If you don't sign up for food packages you can have coffee free from 7-8 (not great coffee though) we found foods just as good elsewhere and cheaper on the pocket book. You can walk to town 20 minutes. Two hills steepish -one on the way in and one on the way back. Not too bad but you may work up a sweat. Good for your daily exercise! When I go back I would go three weeks rather than two and bring a small coffee maker and coffee. By the way not may kids, and the average age would be mid 40s to 70s but mostly 60ish....quiet and great for reading, relaxing and swimming.

Room Tip: Oceanview second floor near restaurant has great view. #1416 had quiet air conditioner . We paid ext...
Yellowknife
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Steps from the room to the dining room, beach, beach chairs, and sea.
Clean, comfortable rooms.
Great shower!
Wonderful, friendly, hard working staff.
If you need something, just ask. Staff want to please.
Over Christmas and New Years, many families visiting. Perfect for children.
Saw sea turtle lay her eggs on the beach!!!
Really, this hotel operates very smoothly!! Management credits their staff who do deserve many thanks for providing a great holiday venue.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends