“Home away from home”
Review of Arena Suites

Arena Suites
Ranked #46 of 79 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Charming, clean, and the staff is very kind. Best for guests who like to shop in the market close by and do some of their own cooking, but there are wonderful restaurants just steps away. The bay is wonderful to bob around in. The only downside is that there never seems to be enough lounge chairs on the beach for the guests. We love this place!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Spokesman99

Reviewed 3 January 2011

My husband and I stayed in Bungalows Ley/Arenas Suites for the entire month of December. We were very impressed with the entire staff. Moi was especially helpful, professional and attentive, and his excellent English was a plus. Our maids, Elizabeth and Carmen, were efficient and accommodating. The owner, Gladys, could not have been more kind and helpful. The first room we stayed in, #2, was comfortable and light and had a gorgeous, huge patio. The second room, #5, was less satisfactory because it did not have an ocean view. However, there is a shared patio that comes with this room, and it was fine for relaxing or barbecuing. A big plus is the private beach area with comfortable lounge chairs and palapas.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ColoradoGirl099
Reviewed 27 November 2010

I was fortunate to find reviews of Arenas Suites (formerly Bungalows Ley) on TripAdvisor.com, which helped me choose to stay there. I was there 14 nights, from Oct 26, 2010 thru Nov 8, 2010. I stayed in room 9.

The reason I gave all categories 5 stars but my overall rating was 4 stars is that this is not a "five star" hotel in the standard definition, but in my book everything about it rates 5 stars.

The room was very clean at all times, I didn't see one bug the entire time, which in my experience in 10 trips to Mexico, is pleasantly unusual.The bathroom was well maintained and had a window which let in light and a ceiling light and a light above the sink. The room had flat screen multi-channel satellite TV, and a king size bed. The mattress could be upgraded, but it did not adversely affect my sleep. The air conditioner looked fairly new, had a remote control and worked very nicely to cool the room as needed.

Thru sliding glass doors was a private deck with kitchen and private cooling tub overlooking the beach and bay. The kitchen was fully stocked with plates, cups, glasses, cutlery, cookware, sink, refrigerator, gas stove. So I was able to have some of my meals there which saved me some money.

I have to thank the hotel owner Gladys and manager Moy, for all their kindness, and for helping me track down a temazcal (Mexican sweat lodge) to go to. They went above and beyond with that.

The beach was never crowded. On the busiest day, the weekend of the Dia de los Muertos holiday, I was able to count 53 people on the beach, which was nothing. There were times of the day where I pretty much had it to myself. There are a couple vendors that come by, but they are not annoying and I actually enjoyed chatting with Felix the basket vendor and others.

The La Madera neighborhood feels separate unto itself because of the way the canal and hills separate it from the main part of the town. BTW, Zihuatanejo is a friendly, laid back, non-touristy feeling town. Thankfully there is no creeping American corporate blight there.

If you stay here, be sure to visit Patio Mexica, one block down the hill, for breakfast. Patiomexica.com is the website, and owner Monica also offers a cooking class which was a highlight of my trip. In the evening Ruffo takes over for dinner service, so don't let the two names confuse you.

While posting my photos I realized they don't capture the charm or do justice to the place. I would go back and stay at Arena Suites on my next stay in Zihuatanejo and have already recommended it to friends.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Kirkguy
Reviewed 28 October 2010

A beautiful part of the world...quiet, peaceful and relaxing. great food, and a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We are a bunch of friends from Guadalajara who went to visit ixtapa-zihuatanejo. One of our friends recommended us Bungalows Ley to stay, and we are very glad we did. It is a quiet, nice, charming spot to rest on a vacation -although we didnt went there to rest- we just had to keep it down so we dont bother the neighbors (in that matter, they take their policies very serious) We came back very happy with our stay at the hotel, and we'll not doubt on coming back!! Thank to it's staff,too, they were very nice to us.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2010

My experience here was awesome. I stayed in the room 9 and was great it has a jacuzzi and a good ocean view

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Great location on beach....close to banks, shopping and markets...very safe and secure.
Good bed, a.c. free internet...great english speaking staff...friendly and very helpful. Very nice expat neighbourhood. Wish we has found this location at the start of our month stay (may 2010 for 10 days) Gladys (owner) is a gracious host. (we had a problem one nite with a noisy pump left on and she gave us a free nite to compensate us) Moi, the manager speaks great english and was very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple