“Great location, amenities, service and value.”

Villas San Sebastian
Ranked #32 of 79 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Outer Banks, NC
“Great location, amenities, service and value.”
Reviewed 11 February 2009

My husband and I just returned from 12 glorious days in beautiful Zihua. We were celebrating our 5th anniversary and couldn't be more pleased with our time on Playa la Ropa or with Villas San Sebastian and staff. We stayed in Villa 3--great view, loved the kitchen, good bathroom, always clean. One thought is the bed was a bit hard for our taste, but oh well. It's vacation, not home, right? The road noise can be heard from the screened porch (kitchen, dining and sitting area) but never bothered us and couldn't be heard from inside with doors shut, especially if the AC is on. I agree, you have to cross the road and there are 2 curves but this is the case along much of the road. It was worth it for the beautiful view from the side of the hill. I would not only recommend this hotel, I AM recommending it to a friend/coworker who is heading to Zihua!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OBXAli

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
MN
Reviewed 30 January 2009

This is not a bad hotel--I imagine a few years ago, with less road noise-it would have been a nice retreat.....but now, the road noise--dump trucks hauling, buses screeching to a halt right under you--makes a nice little pool almost unbearable---and be warned-this hotel is on the WRONG side of the road--you almost get run over if you want to go to the beach! The front gate is about a foot off this busy, busy main road---the traffic is going FAST>>>nothing about this place feels relaxing, except for the climb to your room. And it IS A climb!! We stayed in # 8--fantastic view--but so hot during the afternoon--the sun beat in and made it unbearable. There's air conditioning--but only in the bedroom. Bugs take over the place at night, and ants crawl on everything in the kitchen area. We were hoping that being up on the top would give us privacy--too bad the hotel next to San Sebastian has a pool area that looks DIRECTLY UP INTO THIS ROOM!!!! I walked out of the bedroom without thinking (& naked!) and was waved at by someone at that pool!!!! The people who work at San Sebastian are super nice, and the hotel is very well kept; but it just wasn't what all these other review said it was. I guess we should have stayed here 10 years ago.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the location and the traffic noise
  • Stayed January 2009
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 31 July 2008

My husband and I were looking for a quiet, beautiful vacation spot and we found it! Zihua is very tranquil and Playa Ropa is lovely. After finding the hotel on Trip Advisor, we contacted the hotel directly. Booking our stay with Luis was easy because he responded promptly and answered all of our questions. The hotel is quaint and had everything we needed for a much-needed getaway. We stayed in room 6, which has a full kitchen on the patio and a good view of Zihua Bay. Like other posts, I will say that I enjoyed the stairs much more on the way TO the beach... I got a little tired upon our return, but reminded myself how good cardio exercise is for me - even on vacation.

Mario (the on-site property manager) is a great resource for local restaurants. There is a grocery store in town which was a great stop on Day 1 to stock the refrigerator. You can expect a short taxi ride to go most places other than the Play Ropa beach. The one-way fare was $3 USD (well worth it considering the rolling terrain).

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FWBeachGirl
Milwaukee,Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 April 2008

From our initial contact with Luis the owner, to our final goodby on our last day-not a single complaint! Both Luis and Mario the caretaker were friendly, helpful and sincere in their desire to make your stay rewarding. We encountered significant flight problems and had to alter our itinerary, but Luis and Mario did everything possible to accomodate us.The property is very clean and attractive and our villa (#9) had a fantastic view! There are a number of steps up to the top villas (8 &9) but if you are in reasonable condition the effort is well worth it. The pool is just right for this size property and never crowded. The walk to the beach was five minutes and for those looking for more exercise the walk into town was around twenty minutes, which we did nightly. We have been to Zihua before as well as many other locations in Mexico and the Caribbean. If you are looking for a relaxing and laid back vacation, the Villas will not disappoint!

• Liked — Beautiful view and relaxing.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
Carmichael, Ca
Reviewed 6 February 2008

My wife and I had unit #6 for the week of Jan. 24-31. What a great place! Luis is a super host and Mario is receptionist, concierge, and caretaker all in one. The accomodations of our unit were perfect for the two of us. Of the nine units there are some that accomodate more people. The view is spectacular. The pool area and pool are fastidiously clean. The little kitchen area on the veranda is just so neat and to sit and enjoy breakfast or dinner while looking at the bay is a joy. The "camerista" (chambermaid) did a beautiful job and always left a towel on the bed in a clever design adorned with flowers. It''s an easy 5-10 minute walk to the broad sands of Playa La Ropa, one of the nicest Mexican beaches we've seen. However, be aware that the walk back is mostly up hill. My cardiologist will be pleased that I had to climbed 80 stairs to get to unit #6. It's a little effort but I guarantee it's worth it. Luis was so accomodating he loaned me his clubs so I could golf without renting equipment. Mario recommended 3 restaurants that all turned out to be winners. My advice is to go to Villa San Sebastian, listen to Mario and sit back and relax and enjoy the ambience of the Mexican Riviera at its finest.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank globecrawlers
Portland, OR
Reviewed 26 January 2008

This was our first trip to Zihua. It won't be our last. We have traveled many places and we enjoyed our stay.

Villa San Sebastian was everything we had hoped for. There were no surprises. We stayed in Villa #8. Its at the top next to villa #9. They have the best views.

There are many steps to the top where the villa sits, but Luis, the owner, has paved the top and now taxi's etc can pick you up or drop you off at the top and avoid the steps if necessary.

We chose wo walk up the steps almost every time to get the excerise we needed. I counted 62 steps to the Pool area. If someone has dificulty with steps I would suggest one of the lower units or have Mario or Luis call a Taxi and pick you up at the top.

The pool area was better than we expected. Kept crystal clear and the water temp was just perfect. I thought it would be smaller than it was, but plenty of room to take a few laps.

Some have mentioned the noise of the cars/trucks. That does exist, but after being there a few minutes we didn't hear a thing. Got used to it I guess. If you are planning a pool day, as we did, do it on a Sunday when traffic is less. We did seveal times at the pool and enjoyed the area. Very clean and expensive lounge chairs ( not the cheap ones).

The room was simple but elegent. Villa 8 has an open air kitchen and dining area overlooking the bay and La Ropa area. One king size bed, as the bedroom has view of the sunsets and bay as well. There are three sliding doors to close off the bedroom. A screen, a glass door and a solid wood door. We only used the screen. Never used the others.

There is a patio at the top for guests to use, where there is a table and chairs. It has an excellent view of the bay and perfect for sunsets. Didn't see anyone take advantage of this spot to watch the sunset except for Luis (the owner) who had a BBQ there one night. Too bad others didn't take advantage of it as the lower rooms couldn't possibly have this great a view. Perfect spot to have a drink or glass of wine while watching the sunset.

The bedroom has aircondition, but we never used it. The bedroom has two ceiling fans, the kitchen one and the bathroom one. That was plenty for us. We don't like airconditioning. Also the bedroom has a safe.

The kitchen is simply furnished. Had everything we needed, except plastic glasses. I asked Mario for some and got them right away. We like to take our Gin & Tonics to the pool area when we are at the pool.

The view was exceptional. Watched the sunset everynight from our room. Would strongly suggest if you book Villa #8 to do so to take advantage of the view.

The grounds were kept in top shape. Landscaped well and very clean. A small villa atmosphere where you rarly ran into anyone.
This is not a villa for those that want the Mega resort with connecting pools and people everywhere. But this is a small place with excellent location to La Ropa. We walked to La Ropa nearly everyday. Either for a beach day or for a meal. It takes about 5 min walk. Taxis are abundant as is the bus ( never did the bus to Zihua) right in front of VSS. Taxi fare to Zihua is 30 pesos ($3).

WIthout a doubt would stay at the VSS again. Good value for the dollar, great location and excellent service. What more could you ask for?

• Liked — The open air kitchen/dining area and the view that went with it
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Caribbean5
Oakland, California
Reviewed 18 December 2007

We spent a lovely week at the Villa San Sebastian. Our great experience began when our taxi pulled up to the door and Jose and Mario were there waiting for us and our bags! Mario was always available to give us directions and to offer advice about Zihuatanejo.

We stayed in villa #3 and the accomodations were spacious and comfortable. Having a kitchen was great and there was lots of storage and room to move around. I liked the design of the villa, and the furnishings were in good shape and complimented the architecture.

My only complaint would be the traffic noise from the street. It was not particularly bothersome in the villa, but I wasn't able to enjoy the pool area because I found it so annoying, My husband agreed it was noisy, but it did not bother him as much as me.

• Liked — Friendly, personal service
  • Disliked — Traffic noise
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple