“not worth the money!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Zihuatanejo
Bungalows Pacificos
Ranked #50 of 79 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed 21 October 2007

We booked this place because it had a nice website, but we were sadly disppointed to see how run down it was after we checked in. Our pillows were gray, there was a rotting egg carton cushion on our bed, and ants all over the place. The first day we had to ask the maid three times to clean our room. The deck has a great view, but the furniture is old old old and very uncomfortable. We ended up moving to Bungalows La Madera, which was less expensive, had a beautiful pool, and beach access.

"Anita", the owner, never showed her face to talk to us and we did all transactions through the maid.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 February 2007

This was probably a pretty nice place at one time, like when Cortez was there. Its a two-bit hotel with a million-dollar view. The rooms are old and run down. Ours had a kitchen, but the stove didn't work and the coffee pot was parts from three different coffee makers, none of which added to one usable machine. Its obvious that the owner has made the decision to suck money of the place without reinvesting a dime. The only nice thing I can say about it is that there is hot water and good pressure in the shower. For a $100 US per night you'd expect something more. If you're on a tight budget and you have high tolerence level, go for it. If not, keep looking.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Rastadog
Reviewed 24 November 2006

This place is dirty and dingy and old. It’s the kind of place where everything is so dirty that you’re afraid to touch anything.

My arrival was a joke. I was not greeted by the innkeeper, Anita (I have never NOT been greeted by an innkeeper before). No "hi," "hello," "glad to meet you"...nothing. She screamed down something in Spanish, which I didn’t understand, from her upper level balcony to other woman who works there who spoke no English. The other woman showed me into this strange, awful looking room which I thought was some weird waiting area. I thought she meant for me to wait there for Anita. When Anita didn’t show, I asked for her again, and she screamed down from balcony above, “what, you don’t like the room?!!” Only THEN did I realize that was meant to be MY room! I said I’d like one on lower lever, closer to beach. That room was just as bad. The toilet didn’t flush and hadn’t been flushed by last user. There was a dirty frying pan in kitchen sink. Bed was okay, but sheets were threadbare. And there was something splattered on the walls. Looked like blood, but surely wasn’t. Don’t know what it was. Tablecloth was dirty. Kitchen appliances and utensils were a disaster (see attached photos). It was a nightmare.

This was the most horrible experience I’ve EVER had at an inn. EVER! I travel a lot and stay at a lot of small inns, so I have plenty of comparison. This place falls well within the category of DUMP. Especially for the price, $85/night, it’s outrageous. I’ve stayed at many places for far less money, with breakfast included, that were beautiful. I would've left immediately, but had paid 2 nights' deposit. I cut my stay in half. Just couldn’t stand it.

BP misrepresents itself drastically on its website. Wish I’d read the review “it’s a total ripoff” below before I'd gone. Don’t let the website fool you!

Stayed: November 2006
10  Thank Colo-Bound
Reviewed 24 October 2006

The Bungalows Pacifico was just what we were looking for. My friend and I treated ourselves to a week in Zihuatanejo, leaving our children with our husbands so we could spend a week relaxing in the sun. We found Bungalows Pacificos by cross-referencing internet reviews and guidebook suggestions.

It was the perfect place for us. Why? First, it was on Playa Madera, closest to the town of Zihua and less resort-like. Second, each bungalow has a large, private terrace. I estimate ours was a good 600 sq. feet and provided both sun and shade. We spent hours on our terrace talking, eating light meals, reading and napping. The intererior is not fancy but it felt clean and comfortable. We particularly appreciated the endless sterile water supply, the refrigerator for beer, fruit, and yogurt, and being able to make coffee in the morning. We walked to Zihua a couple of times a day, walked to Playa de la Ropa, ate in the neighborhood cafes. The proprieter and her daughters were lovely to us, informal, and helpful.

To us, Bungalows Pacificos embodies the spirit of Zihuatanejo. I am looking forward to returning and hope to stay again at the BP. I have talked about it so warmly and so often that my family wants to return with me next time.

• Stayed: March 2005, travelled with friends
1  Thank raincountrygal
Reviewed 25 September 2006

Is it any wonder there are no room photos of this low budget hotel but priced higher than better hotels in the area? The hotel has had no updates for over 30 years and it shows. Cracked tiles everywhere, stained beds with egg carton foam mattresses to fluff things up. The bathroom tiles were chipped and missing and it was dark with only a 50watt bulb, so hard to tell if it was clean. The kitchen had very, very basic utensils that were rusty and tired. Few decent dishes and ugly set-up. There is very little ambience to this hotel. The views are great but the amenities severly lacking and the hotel overpriced. Get a receipt when you leave or you may get an email saying you didn't pay and how will you be paying? A scary idea when you are still in town and at another htoel and face immigration on the way out. There is no common area to meet other guests and little balcony privacy from neighbours. The owner is nice and knowledgeable but she needs to tweek the place to bring it up to standards. We were terribly disappointed and bolted after our week there. We also experienced a theft there. Overall, it's dingy and dreary and lacking atmosphere and real Mexican flavour.
Signed,
Very disappointed and will never return.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
4  Thank Sunsetguy
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 6 August 2005

We planned to stay at this place for three days during our stay in Zihua. We had read a good review of it in Lonely Planet. Also, to our pleasant surprise, it was mentioned positively in an article in the in-flight magazine that we read on our way down to Mexico. Also, as you see there are other positive reviews of it here on this site.

But, for some reason, our experience of this place was COMPLETELY different. The room was horrible: dingy, old, rundown, dark, dusty, inhabited by cockroaches. The staff was rude to us. The best thing about this place was the beautiful view, but EVERY place on the bay in Zihua has a fabulous view.

This place was so bad that we only stayed for one night and lost some of our deposit. It was that bad.

• Stayed: December 2002
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 June 2004

We chose to stay with Anita Hafner in her hillside "bungalows" because of rave reviews we read on this Web site. It proved to be a good choice. Reasonably priced, easy walk into town (there are steps or hill, realize), and so "private." Great view, nice breeze (when it's up) on covered veranda. Not modern or newly furnished, but "real." Only Mexican A/C (ceiling fan over the bed) if you go after Easter or before December--important to note. Definitely a place for those travelers who enjoy "older," established tourist places rather than new high rises. She's been in Zihau since 1968, for Pete's sake! Enjoy.

18  Thank jemoi