“Surprisingly good”

El Mediterraneo
Ranked #44 of 322 Restaurants in Zihuatanejo
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: the front as a bar , and tables for drinking or for lunch or super and also people watch, and also a garden in the back of the restaurant Mediterranean style open air .
Acapulco, Mexico
“Surprisingly good”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We wandered into this restaurant rather randomly, mostly attracted by the menu on the street which offered artichokes. The owner gleefully explained that the artichokes were finished which was a huge relief for him. It wasn't for us, but even so I had a very pleasant Caprese salad and fried Calamari with a mayonnaise-y dip. I would have preferred a tomato-y sauce, but there you go! My husband had a very nice onion soup and an absolutely delicious egg-plant. We hadn't wanted pasta but regretted our decision as we saw various plates going to other tables and it looked extremely good. The flan for dessert was outstanding and I consider myself somewhat of an expert in the field as it has always been a huge favourite of mine.
The prices were reasonable and we will defiitely return when next in Zihuatanejo.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank archibalda

Barrie, Canada
“My fav restaurant in Zihua”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This is our go-to restaurant in Zihua. We have never had a bad meal here, the service is excellent and Julian the host is charming and wonderful. Whenever we want to meet friends and have a quiet chance to talk, this is the place to go because no one bothers you and you can dine leisurely while at the same time receiving great service. We love the manicotti, the fresh fish with mango salsa, the linqguini with clams and the seared tuna appetizer to name a few, but really you cannot go wrong no matter what you choose. They moved locations so they are now next to the church as opposed to the malecon, but I like it better. It brings back memories of European charm with a definite Mexican flair Provecho !

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Jellybean107_2000
Baie-Comeau
“Personalized service !”
Reviewed 11 February 2013

My wife and I - third week of January 2013- went at Julien's restaurant as our last dinner spot in Zihuatanejo. Great ambiance, superb food as far as fish (red snapper/ tuna) was concerned and pricing relatively low considering the quality offered. Julien- who speaks French/ Spanish/ English comes at your table every once in a while to entertain and double check service. Although when seated close to the sidewalk you are subject to a lot of soliciting from peddlers, I think it is a «miss not !» experience.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank BigSweet
Portland, Oregon
“5* dinner... that ended awkwardly.”
Reviewed 7 February 2013

My wife and I had heard and read many good things about El Mediterraneo and decided to make it our "special night out" dinner on a Tuesday, day 4 of our 5 in Zihuatanejo. Our cab driver whisked us into town and we arrived just as dinner seatings were starting to fill the front room. We got one of two tables for two next to the sidewalk, which meant we had a good view of the room (soccer on TV for me, the incoming crowd for my wife - oh, and each other!) and of passers-by on the street.

Having read so many good things about the tuna sashimi, we both opted for it - very good, 6 hearty chunks of fish, seared and crusted with sesame. Our appetizer was ceviche, fresh and bright with citrus. My wife had a couple glasses of Chilean wine and I enjoyed my Negra Modelos (wrapped in fairly cheesy neoprene 'jackets'). Service was good, our server always on the spot - AND we noticed the restaurant owner, Julian, circulating around the room through most of the evening, chatting with customers and waiting tables the whole time. He was wonderful, gracious and friendly.

One of our best moments of the trip was the children who stopped by our table (at least 3 times) to sell us small hand-painted animal trinkets. They were cute and we couldn't resist buying a couple as souvenirs.

Why the evening ended 'awkwardly'? As we were wrapping up dinner, my wife noticed a couple ladies (low cut dresses, well-endowed) enter, looking directly toward our table. They were asked to sit at the bar and were promised our table as soon as we were finished. Well, we weren't ready to leave, as we'd been recommended to visit Mediterraneo because they have a chocolate mousse that is (according to the women who recommended it) amazing, worthy of both dining in AND taking to go. When we for the mousse, our server informed us 'no, it's 'out of season' - we only have flan, vanilla ice cream and 'mango tacos'... hmmmm, really? Not interested. As it turns out, we really probably didn't need dessert, but it was a weird and abrupt ending to an otherwise lovely evening. We went across the street and found some silver earrings at the Artisans Market, minutes before it closed, so not all was lost... but we noticed those ladies had snagged our primo table just a minute after we left.

Our tab was 605 pesos for dinner with drinks and tip, not bad at all. All in all a good night out, still a place I'd go back to and recommend, despite the strange finish...

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank msubulldog25
London, United Kingdom
“Tuna Sashimi so good I travel over 5000 miles from London to eat it”
Reviewed 9 December 2012

We have been comming to Mediterraneo now for eight years since we discovered and fell in love with Zihuatanejo. For me the must have is Julian the owner's Tuna Sashimi. I have eaten good Sashimi at fine restaurants all over the world and the best is still at the Mediterraneo. I suspect that this is in part due to the fact that the fish only travel about 100 feet from the sea to table. The presentation is excellent and I have yet to have a bad meal. The other food is also great and I would definitely recommend the other fish dishes. My wife had the tempura prawns the other evening and they were great! 6 enormous camarones with the most delicious dipping sauce the tempura batter was perfection! The restaurant has moved in the last year to the current, even better, location and I can voutch for the fact that standards have been well maintained.

• Visited December 2012