“The owners are kind, the food is lovely and the ambiance is perfect.”
Review of Mariscos Sixtino's - CLOSED

Mariscos Sixtino's
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Sixtino's is a newer offering in the beach town of Zihuatenejo. The owners greet guests warmly, speak English or Spanish and offer a wide array of seafood prepared with creative methods. A minimum of oils are used in their dishes.
I must admit I have a weakness for great key lime pie, and theirs is an original recipe, the best I have ever tasted.
The bathrooms are lovely and clean, a cool breeze blows through the restaurant, the music is tasteful and at a low civilized volume.

I cannot wait for the day I can return...

Reviewed 6 April 2012

I've been going to Zihuatanejo for a long time and have eaten just about everywhere. Most restaurants there are pretty forgettable, i.e. the 2 fer 1 margarita places on the paseo with the people waving menus at the gringos as they walk by.

There are exceptions of course, and when Fortino's opened on the street behind the paseo a number of years ago, run by Pepe and his wife, both with lengthy experience in the restaurant industry and with seafood in particular, it was an instant hit with the extended stay gringo crowd. Unfortunately with such a small space, only 4 tables, even though they were busy every night, eventually they had to close down.

I haven't been spending as much time there these days, but was just down in Zihuatanejo for a few days to visit friends and bag a few rays. Few they were, too, due to some kind of climatical nonsense. But while catching up on current events, El Pelon informed me that Fortino's had opened again as Sixtino's, over the foot bridge on the way to the Madera hotel district, in the space that had previously been unfortunately inhabited by a religious fanatic from my own home town who ran a coffee house there while trying to ensnare unsuspecting people.
Gleeful at the news, I headed out there immediately, only to be reminded by the padlocked gate that they are closed on Tuesdays, just as in the old days. Ok, back to Cafe Marina for some excellent dorado, estilo Veracruzano Abuelo. Good to have options, and there's no better fall back than Cafe Marina. See my review....

Anyway, I was back last night after running the gauntlet of the menu wavers on the paseo and then the other restaurant guys along Adelita with their come-ons.

You need to look closely or you will miss it. They don't have a big sign outside and nobody is out in front trying to hustle you in. When you walk through the door you are greeted with a very friendly courtyard space with a nice breeze blowing through. Lots of potted plants, excellent ambience, and larger than the old space.

The menu is much the same as before. ¿Y Porque no? Mariscos is what they do and mariscos is what they do better than just about anyone. I went with my old favorite, camarones ajillo, which is one of their signature dishes. It's simple; big fat prawns sauteed in butter and garlic, with thin strips of guajillo chile on top, rice on the side. Three salsas out front, the standout being mango/serrano/jicama, which disappeared instantly. A pile of tortillas in the tortillera. And an ice cold Victoria in a frosted glass. This is the best meal available in Zihuatanejo at this moment.

For dessert, homemade frozen key lime pie with thin slices of lime on top. Yow, this is good! It's heading towards cheesecake and loaded with fresh lime. This alone is worth the walk.

That was it for this meal, and unfortunately I had to head back to el D.F. today, but I'll be back.

Here are a couple of other serious pluses about Sixtino's that might not immediately be noticed by the traveler who is new to Zihuatanejo.

Numero uno: zero ambulantes. These are the people trying to sell you anything from earthquake detecting devices made out of coconut shells (mostly small children) to time shares (mostly adults). Though I usually slip the kids some coins and don't really mind them as opposed to the slimy time share sellers, this lack enhances the dining experience by several degrees.

Numero dos; because karaoke seems to be the popular evening zocalo activity in Zihuatanejo these days, and because Mexican's like their music extremely loud if possible, and because the karaoke is amplified it accomplishes this very easily, and because many of the restaurants are near the zocalo, most restaurants are bombarded with loud amateur singing throughout their dining times. Some people might really enjoy this and if you do, you will miss it at Sixtino's because it's extraordinarily quiet there. Pepe plays an eclectic selection of Cubano big band music and other latin american salsa standards over his sound system, all at very low sound levels which for me is just right.
Sixtino's is one of Zihuatanejo's best restaurants and is a hidden gem. I don't usually comment on any of my absolute favorites on Trip Advisor, but I only get down to Zihuatanejo once a year or so at best so I'm happy for other people to know about Sixtino's.

1  Thank ektarama
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This quiet little place is top notch. The owner is an artist who prepares simple little meals with flair. We returned 2 days in a row. The octopus was cooked to perfection and the 3 different salsas (including a mango salsa) were refreshing and a great addition to whatever you ordered. Dont forget the lemon pie!!!!!!

Reviewed 24 March 2012

Near Madera Beach, unassuming little restaurant, food was outstanding and service attentive.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Originally came to this area looking for Mariscos Chendos but we got confused and ended up sitting down at Mariscos Sixtinos. We originally we going to leave but decided to sit down and give it a try... Boy are we glad we did... We started with the seafood salad which consisted of octopus, scallops, shrimp, peppers, and onions lightly oiled and seasoned. Was so fresh and delicious. I had the shrimp and steak fajitas, my wife enjoyed the shrimp fried rice and my son had the garlic shrimp. We have eaten at all the top trip advisor rated places and this was our favorite. We were the only ones in the place and the service was incredible. The only place that served me a beer in a frosted glass... Prices are incredibly cheap for the quality and freshness of the seafood. What a treat!

1  Thank hurdisct