“Romantic Hilltop Bungalow”
Review of La Quinta Troppo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Zihuatanejo
La Quinta Troppo
Ranked #36 of 78 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed 5 June 2007

La Quinta Troppo is a very romantic hotel on a hilltop with a view of the Bay in the distance. We stayed in the La Ropa Suite, open-air on one side and an open bathroom, hot water and a very comfortable bed with a mosquito net (we had no problems with insects). My significant companion was a bit skeptical but adjusted very well, and I loved every minute of it. All of the others rooms are quite lovely as well. We stayed there for 2 nights during low season and there was only one other couple lodging there as well, so it was very quiet and tranquil. The staff/service was impeccable. The only complaint was the noise one morning of construction in the distance at about 6am in the morning. And the distance one had to walk from the hotel to the beach. On a hot day it can be quite a sweated experience but enjoyable. Overall, I would highly rate this hotel if you can deal with these circumstances. I love nature so it gets my thumbs up!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pigeon428

Reviewed 10 April 2007

While my wife Natalie (then fiancee) and I had a great time during our stay at the beginning of 2006 and agree that it's an spectacular place, we have to caution against staying there. Why? It's a bit of a long story, but let's just say their poor management and lack of accountability cost us thousands of dollars and almost ruined the week leading up to our wedding in Zihuatanejo.

After having stayed at LQT in February of 2006, we immediately decided that it was the place for our entire wedding party to stay during the week leading up to our wedding in November. We talked to David Ferguson, the owner of the hotel, to find which week in November that we could book the whole hotel and, being that the 7th-11th was totally empty, we booked the whole place for that time. We actually planned the wedding date *around* LQT's availability - we liked the place that much. It was very, very important for us that our wedding party (parents and closest friends) stayed in the same hotel together. We asked David to give him a deposit and he responded with "No, don't worry about it for now. Please give me until June and we'll work it out then." Okay, sounds fine...

During the following months, we had several emails back and forth, extending a room's reservation here and there, asking a question or two...that kind of thing. He responded to each of these mails with polite answers.

Then, come June when we emailed him to ask another question and about the deposit, we get radio silence. Hrm. That's odd. Email him again. Nothing. Email him again a week later, getting very anxious to make the deposit. No reply at all. We decide not to freak out - "Maybe he's out of town 'cause it's the hot, low season." Send him another friendly, but concerned email. Towards the end we even start calling and leaving voice messages on his answering machine. Still nothing...

After a month and a half of getting no replies, we're getting really worried and decide to have a freind send a reservation request for the week we're supposed to have the entire hotel booked. Lo and behold, she gets an immediate reply back from David Ferguson saying "Yes! We have a room available for you during that week." Uh-oh.

Natalie, fighting back tears, decides its time for another phone call. We actually get a live person. The receptionist, sounding like she knows something we don't, immediately puts Natalie through to David. He picks up the phone and the first words out of his mouth are "The reason I haven't been returning your emails is that I'm afraid we've made a terrible mistake. We accidentally cancelled your reservations and have booked the hotel with other guests."

Take a moment to ponder the profoundly unprofessional nature of that action. He knows we're in town for our wedding - the most important event of our lives. He knows that its the people closest to us (and us - the wedding couple) that are staying there. He knows that the longer he waits to tell us, the less options will be available to us as far as other hotels go. Despite all of that, he simply did nothing.

At that point, there were no other hotels in Zihuatanejo with enough rooms to accommodate all 16 people in our wedding party. We requested that David do The Right Thing, call the guests who had booked the rooms we'd already reserved, tell them that he'd made a mistake, refund their deposits and help them find rooms at other hotels. After all, it's far easier to find the 8 individual couples rooms in a hotel here and a hotel there than it is to do the impossible and get 8 parties rooms in the same hotel. He apologized for his mistake, then refused our request.

At one point, he called and said "You'll be happy to hear that I've got everything sorted out." I was all "great! Thanks so much!" thinking that he'd finally come to his senses and would honor our original reservation. Then he said "you'll love this place. It's right on the beach." Uh...what? Turns out that he was trying to stick us in a competitor's place (Casa Don Francisco) that, while nice, was only able to accommodate 5 of our 8 couples and was at the opposite end of the beach from where our other wedding guests had booked rooms so that they could be close to us! David continually failed to follow through as promised in returning phone calls and emails, even in the weeks leading up to the wedding.

At that point, we went ahead by ourselves and found hotel rooms around the general area of LQT and, at a significantly greater financial cost, found everyone rooms in hotels that were close together and near our original location. Even then, to our great disappointment we had to split our wedding party up into 3 different hotels.

Of course, the week was still magical. Everyone had a great time - how could you not in Zihuatanejo?!? That said, it should have been even more so. David's cowardly and unprofessional actions cost us untold emotional stress and incurred a significant financial hit. The best he ever did to compensate us for our troubles was to offer a complimentary dinner for two at LQT. While better than nothing, his offer goes to show you the depth of his lack of understanding of the situation. We're there to be *with* our family and friends - not to have a dinner alone away from them!

Needless to say, we'd recommend that you avoid giving your business to La Quinta Troppo. If you'd like to send them an email letting 'em know what you think of this all, please do so at [--]

There are plenty of great places to stay in Zihua. Tentaciones is absolutely stunning in every way. Casa Don Francisco is nice and very cute and, on the high end, La Casa Que Canta is unbelievable

Good luck with finding a hotel that suits you!

Cheers,

Kevin

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank kbaillie
Reviewed 16 February 2007

My friend and I spent a week at La Quinta Troppo and it is a serene and very special, romantic escape. The host is charming and has worked to make the overall experience second to none. Our room, La Ropa, is enchanting. The view and spaciousness are splendid and at times, it was difficult to leave the property as we felt so content, relaxed, and transported. The food is excellent and it was so good that we ended up eating most of our dinners at the hotel - something we rarely do. We were able to view all the rooms and any of them would be just fine. We would highly recommend the boat ride with your host - a wealth of knowledge about the area and Mexico. We also loved a kayak tour with Zoe's Kayaks. Zihuatanejo is a lovely destination.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jls
Reviewed 30 August 2006

This is a jewel and their web page does not realistically present the property. Perhaps we should keep it a secret as it is so small but so luxurious.

What we look for is quiet secluded luxury and we found it at La Quinta Troppo. The decoration of the rooms is outstanding. We were in La Ropa an open room with amazing views of the Bay of Zihuatanejo. But all the rooms, we saw several, have individual design style which was great. Not surprising I suppose as we were told that one of the owners has an interior design shop in London. The attention to detail was extaordinary, the flowers in the room, the quality of the linens, the robes, the slippers the complimentary airport pick up but most of all the fabulous coffee out side the room each morning when we awoke.

And what about the food? The complimentary breakfast was tropical and beautiful. Lunch by the pool was fun.... try the shrimp tacos... and dinner on the top terrace by candlelight was a romantic dream.

The hotel also has a boat for guests to do day trips and sunset cruises, but we missed it. They use it in the high season only

I just do not know what the owners could do to make it better.... but do not tell anyone about it... we want to go back.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gus46
Reviewed 28 June 2006

My husband and I travelled to Zihua in January...I'm just not getting around to adding my experience to Tripadvisor...I should have done it forever ago!

La Quinta Troppo is a charming botique hotel/villa! Due to last min. reservations on our part, we stayed in two different rooms, but I welcome change and was very happy to do so! Our first room was the open air style and I adored it! The little sitting area, just perfect and relaxing. We were greeted with fantastic margaritas and chips and salsa! The staff was so awesome and so helpful. In our first room the only thing that I was not crazy about was the lack of major door on the bathroom...I'm not shy, but it's still a weird thing to get used to. After two nights in this room, we moved on to our second room for three nights and it was more closed in...but it had a phenomenal little sitting area/open air balcony attached. This room did have A/C which was nice, because husband and I ended up burning a bit on the beach. The bathroom was awesome in this room...full privacy door...I just loved the set up. I also adored the provided toiletries...there is a fantastic lavendar body soap and the hand soap is oddly wonderful, I believe it has caraway seeds in it! In both rooms there was plenty of closet space and a secure safe. Also, a nice touch, they leave french pressed style coffee outside your door every morning, wonderful strong coffee...right up my alley!

The pool appears small...but it's fun, and cute...I really liked it. Also, the bar is great..and when no one is around it operates on an honor system...the bar offers great great drinks when he/she is around!

When we dined at La Quinta Troppo we very much enjoyed our food. They have an amazing BLT w/ avocado...a suprising treat...their guacamole is fantastic! The provided fresh fruit and roll, juice breakfast is fantastic...the addional egg offerings also very very good!

THE ONLY BAD THING I have to say about La Quinta isn't even all that bad...but you have to walk down and back up quite a hill when you are going to and coming from the beach...the first day it was rough...but we got used to it fast. In another review someone mentioned the fact that La Quinta Troppo is on a busy street....WELL, most of the smaller botique hotel/villas in this particular area ARE...but the street truly isn't THAT busy...or maybe because I come from Chicago, anything is quietter than there... but I didn't at all mind the cab traffic...it was easy to hail a cab into town or to different restaurants this way...in fact, I even enjoyed seeing the local bus pickign up and dropping off locals...it was cool...it was the same, yet different than when I see in Chicago... all in all, I would go back to La Quinta Troppo in a heart beat...

Go there...enjoy the beach...which is clean and beautiful...and the town, which is busy and fun...and hit Amuletto for dinner one night...it's up the hill, a few buck cab ride from La Quinta Troppo...you won't be sorry.... but make reservations!!

• Stayed: January 2006
9  Thank tiffeecanoe
Reviewed 20 May 2006

This is a not wonderful - but nice-enough - little hotel in a definately not wonderful town. The hotel is quaint and the staff are friendly. It is on the side of the hill about 5 minutes walk from the beach. The rooms are spacious and clean and some have OK views over the neighboring houses to the ocean. The beds are ROCK HARD - so don't stay here if you have a bad back. The bathrooms/toilets don't have doors - so don't stay here if you are bashful.

As for Zihua - we were expecting a pretty little fishing village with a pretty little beach and nice "authentically Mexican" surroundings. Unfortunately, the bay is polluted and the water is brown and smelly. The neighborhood is rough and dirty. For example, the local Coca-Cola delivery trucks all have a guy in a flak jacket with a rifle "riding shotgun" to protect the delivery guys. And the locals all advised us not to drive outside of town at night for fear of robbery.

Downtown Zihua is OK, but no more than that. There are a few nice-enough Mexican restaurants. We also visited Ixtapa, which is even worse - a kind of shabby tourist town. On top of all this, neither Zihua nor Ixtapa is actually cheap. For example, the hotels are better and cheaper in Cancun and the beach/surroundings are MUCH nicer.

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank bounchitos
A TripAdvisor Member
Hollywood Hills, CA
Reviewed 1 April 2006

We've been to Zihuatanejo four times. The first time, we stayed at La Casa Que Canta. Then for our return, we found La Quinta Troppo (via Karen Brown's).
It is a quiet, quaint, very personal and intimate place to stay. It is almost a shame to call it a hotel, since it feels more like a house where the owner's personal staff are at your disposal. Only eight rooms, it cannot get crowded. Set on a hill overlooking Playa La Ropa (just two minutes' walk away) you have a commanding view of the gorgeous Zihuatanejo Bay and Playa Las Gatas. Go to the public recreation places, then retreat to your personal villa at night.
Each room is unique. We have our favorite. But ask to see each one that's available. Each has it's own charm, be it a view, a shower for two, an air conditioner, or a private terrace.
The dinners there are amazing. We've often canceled plans to go out after viewing the night's menu. And have never regretted it.
The staff are incredibly friendly and accomodating.
Most of the people we've met there are returning visitors (like ourselves).
In fact, I am afraid to write this review, for fear that we'll spoil it by drawing people there. It really does feel like Zihuatanejo's best kept secret. But I love the people there so much that I feel obliged to give them this glowing review.
If you like big resorts with tennis courts and activities and big pool areas, then this is not the place for you.
But if you like to stay where you can go by your own way, have tons of privacy, and feel like you are a part of the local fabric, you will love La Quiinta Troppo.
I have spent entire days floating in the pool sipping margaritas, staring up at the canopy of palms as I can smell my plate of shrimp tacos (with mango salsa) being prepared. The unofficial greeting among guests is "Isn't this place amazing?"
Zihuatanejo is an amazing place, one of the most peaceful I've been on Earth. La Quinta Troppo is quintessentially Zihuatanejo.

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member