“Casa Adriana, The place to be in Zihuatanejo”
Review of Casa Adriana

and 1 more site!
Casa Adriana
Ranked #41 of 79 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed 27 March 2009

My wife and I stayed in Casa Adriana from 3 to 21 February 2009. It wa our first time in Zihuatanejo and we could not have chosen a better place. Located at walking distance from the beach, from el Centro, the Mercado, the banks, standing on a quiet dead end street and overlooking the entire bay, Casa Adriana was more than what we expected. Earlier reports mentionned the long climb up the stairs from the beach but if I was able to climb those stairs on a daily basis even though I am 63, overweight and a smoker, anybody can do it.
The room was spotless and there was a large balcony with a small kitchen facility including stove, fridge and microwave. Being an early riser, I found it nice to be able to watch the sunrise while watching the fishermen in the bay.
Casa Adriana is pretty basic. Forget about amenities and services of large hotels. However, if you look for a clean room in a small hotel close to everything for a decent price, this is it.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robeli

Reviewed 7 February 2009

We have just returned from Zihuatanejo and were pleased to have stayed at Casa Adriana for 5 nights. We would have stayed our entire trip of 10 nights had there been availability. We did not book in advance and were fortunate to find an opening. The staff (Ditna and Brenda) are great, as is the proprietor Lucy. Love the outdoor balcony with gorgeous view of Playa La Madera and the cooking facilities being in the balcony area. The room was very nice and the location is great for access to the beach and to walk downtown. I would highly recommend it to any of my friends. We had stayed there in the past about 7 years ago and enjoyed it then also. The rooms have been refurbished and the upgrade was a pleasant surprise. To us, it is truly one of the best (if not the best) value for the cost of the room and great service and friendliness. Upon returning to Zihuatanejo this would be my 1st choice in a moderate price range. We like the fact that there is no TV or AC. The overhead fans and the ocean breeze (all rooms have great ventilation) are all you need. Beds are comfortable and a good nights sleep is easy to come by as it is a quiet area. Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!
Phyllis & John Chico, CA

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank papalouie
Reviewed 14 December 2008

Just got back from our 30th wedding anniversary and had to share our experience. We loved Zihuatanejo and our stay at Casa Adriana was excellent! It is located on a bluff overlooking Playa Madera and the whole Zihua Bay. Easy walk to the downtown area, central market, and all the restaurants. Quiet location at the end of the street with waves breaking 80 feet below on Playa Madera. The rooms have a small kitchen with a full balcony with great views! We stayed in room #4 on the second floor which had a queen and twin bed-good firm mattresses-reasonable sized tiled bathroom with walk-in shower. A set of screened doors (rarely closed) led onto the full balcony with dinning table and 4 chairs and a lounge chair. The small kitchen area included fridge/freezer, two burner stove, coffee maker, blender, adequate pans and utensils. There are two rooms on the third floor which are larger, better furnished, with incredible views. All the rooms (8) had bottled water provided and were cleaned every day with fresh towels. Friendly, helpful staff and a bilingual manager-Lucy Hernandez-who was just great. Only downside is climbing the stairs from the beach if you're walking.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rustyrussll
Reviewed 5 March 2008

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful trip to Zihuatanejo! We stayed at the Casa Adriana and I want to report that it’s a fabulous hotel for the budget minded. We had room #1, which was a good size with two comfortable double beds. This room is the one with the large open deck (see pictures on their web site). The kitchen was outside and it was clean and amply appointed. We found a coffee maker, good size fridge, 2-burner propane stove top, and plenty of cookware, dishes and utensils, along with a table and 4 sturdy chairs. All appliances were modern and in good working order.

All rooms have large bottled water dispensers as well. All the rooms have a great view overlooking Playa Madera and it was so nice to go to bed hearing only the surf below! Our room had sliding windows that closed (which wasn’t necessary as the cross breeze was nice) and a ceiling fan. We were never too hot. There was a large-size new bar of soap in the bathroom (not the usual small-size bar you get in almost all motels everywhere) and two fluffy towels! In fact, everyday the maid changed out the towels and they were all quite nice.

When I made the reservation, I asked for a small room, at their lowest rate! Our rate for this room was $80/night! I’m sure their larger rooms and suites are even nicer, judging by the pictures. Their location is the best! They are at the end of a dead-end street so there is no traffic noise whatsoever. After having stayed in hotels in many towns all over Mexico, this was so nice! It’s within easy walking distance to town and to Playa Madera – although there is a pretty decent set of stairs up from the beach, as the hotel sits atop a high hill. But the path is well-lit at night and we frequently came in well after dark and never felt unsafe. The staff of Casa Adriana was wonderful and friendly. Their “office” consists of a reception desk outside, which at first I thought was pretty weird. But it's typical "laid back" Mexico at its finest! There is always someone there if we needed anything (which we didn't) and when I had a question for Lucy, the manager, she appeared within minutes!

I made the arrangements via email with Lucy Hernandez, sent her the required deposit via Western Union as requested, and she was quick to answer all my questions every time I wrote. It couldn’t have gone smoother.

All in all we loved our time in Zihuatanejo, and I can honestly say that if you are looking for reasonably-priced hotel in a great location, you simply can’t beat Casa Adriana!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Okgal
Reviewed 29 February 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Casa Adriana for our honeymoon in January and we really enjoyed it! It's probably not your typical honeymoon place, but we were on a bit of a budget and we aren't picky about our hotels either so it was perfect for us. Just a quick warning, this hotel is pretty basic, it was fine for us, but if you're looking for something fancy with lots of amenities, go somewhere else! But if you're looking for something a little simpler, close to beach, and with lots of charm, than this is the right place for you.

The rooms were nice and clean. Not huge, but no big deal, you should be spending your day on the beach! Every room looks out on the bay from a huge terrace! This was my favorite! We went to the mercado the first day and bought some breakfast stuff to put in the fridge (there's a kitchenette and dining table on the terrace, complete with all the cooking utensils and dishes you might need) and had breakfast out there every morning. A bottle of purified water (the big several gallons ones, not the small individual ones) is included free of charge as well, and that was very nice. It was a really beautiful view and the hammock was unbelievably good for afternoon naps. Too bad there's only one, fighting over who got the hammock took up a lot of siesta time :) One really nice feature I liked was the book collection they had in the bathroom (not sure why it was there, probably that's just where the bookshelf fit). There were some nice selections and it was perfect for lazing around in the hammock!

There isn't any a/c in this hotel, and it was pretty warm when we were there, but it wasn't that big of a deal. The rooms are designed with huge windows for maximum cross-winds to cool the room off, and the ceiling fan took care of the rest. There also isn't any restaurant or anything else in the hotel, just the rooms, but there's plenty of stuff nearby (Calle Adelita is just at the bottom of the hill, lots of good stuff there).

The staff was very nice and helpful. Towels and sheets were changed everyday, and if we ever needed anything, all we had to do was ask. Not sure how much english they speak, as hubby is mexican and my spanish is fairly good, so we never bothered using anything else, so that may be an issue for some. But there were other Americans there and they seemed fine. Lucy, the owner, was great and she speaks fluent english, so i'm sure she could resolve any problems you might had, but we didn't have any!

While the hotel is up the hill a bit from the beach, it's like a 30 second walk down the stairs, which weren't too bad, and you're on Playa la Madera, which is a very nice beach. Not as big as Playa la Ropa or Ixtapa, but a lot less crowded. Definitely, get a beach massage from the lady right next to the stairs leading down from the beach. 250 pesos per person for a 1 hour massage, and it was amazing! Sometimes she will even call one of her friends to come do a couple's massage if you ask. She was able to when we were there, not sure if this is always the case.

Anyways, in conclusion, this hotel fit our needs perfectly and was a great deal for the price. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone. I have some great pics, but I don't have them with me to post right now. I will try and edit later to add them :)

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Liadan23
Reviewed 8 June 2007

Though there are more expensive, so called "higher end" hotels in Zihuatanejo at Playa Madera (and we looked at rooms in other places just out of curiousity once we were there), we concluded that room #5 at Casa Adriana was not only the very best buy of all the places we looked at, but was also THE BEST accomodation possible!
Casa Adriana, because it is not a blocky hotel with access to each room room through central hallways, has the most amazing cross ventilation, allowing the experience of the outside to come in in the most lovely and cooling way. Though we were there in the last week of May, there were nights we actually had to turn off the ceiling fans because it would otherwise have been too chilly to sleep! Being sealed into an air conditioned room, when the ocean is only steps away, and the ocean air is all around, seems ridiculous.
Another aspect of Casa Adriana we so appreciated was the hospitality of the proprietress, Lucy, and her assistant, Ditna. We were traveling with a large number of family members (since we were there for a wedding) many of whom were staying at other hotels. They did not have the kind of ease of communication or warmth of reception that we did at Casa Adriana, and we were most grateful for the loveliness of Lucy and her son, and for the fresh flowers in vases when we returned from a day's outing. There were rose petals on our bed when we arrived.
This is a most amazing and lovely destination, and we recommend it enthusiastically.
Eve Eliot, James DelGrosso, Edmond Ordes

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank buddhagirl
Reviewed 10 January 2007

We booked our vacation late, so our lodging options were somewhat limited. I read another review about Casa Adriana and decided to give it a try. I contacted the hotel by email, and my emails were always promptly answered. This was our first trip to Zihua, and we couldn't have asked for a better location. We walked or easily caught a bus or boat to almost everywhere we wanted to go. Casa Adriana was clean, had a great view and fit our needs. However, I wouldn't say it was a great value for the $100/night we paid - but, maybe there just aren't great deals in Mexico anymore. The unit we stayed in (we thought it was the best one) had two double beds, a tv (with four all Spanish channels), a coffee maker, a blender, a stove and a fridge. We bought groceries at the Comercial Mexico (grocery store owned by Costco) so we didn't have to eat out every meal. The only noise issues we had were with the other guests. Two other balconies were close to our bedroom windows and the first night a family with small children stayed out on their balcony very late - the kids were really wound up and quite vocal. The windows don't have glass in them so it sounded like they were running around in our room. They were quieter for the rest of our visit. We did not hang out or swim in Playa Madera because of its close proximity to the canal, we spent most of our beach time at Playa Gatas - where the water is much more clear. There is a good coffee shop/cafe around the corner form Casa Adriana - they offered some of the best food we had on the trip and the coffee is good too.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple