“Outstanding”

Ranked #1 of 79 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Perth, Australia
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Arriving at Aura Del Mara from LA via Mexico City it was great to be checked-in and settled in our room within minutes of arriving. The service throughout our stay was fantastic, beginning with being addressed by name the moment I walked into the lobby to check in. Okay we were the only ones checking in that afternoon so of course they were expecting us but it was still a nice thought. Nothing was a problem for them the entire week of our stay. The hotel, restaurant and bars are well-staffed and always there for you without being intrusive.

We had the 2bdr Zihuatlan Suite, which was very comfortable, each bedroom was spacious, airy and with a private hot tub. A common area had the small but totally functional kitchen and outdoor sitting. A nice little shop across the street sells all the goodies needed to fill the fridge and stock with snacks. There are great markets in town if you are staying awhile and wish to cook for yourself, we chose the indulgence of the many great restaurants. Air-con and ceiling fans in each room and ceiling fans in the outdoor areas. This suite is on a lower level but still with gorgeous bay views. However the views definitely improve with elevation up the hill. Like many Zihua hotels Aura Del Mar is on the side of a steep hill (thus the views!) and steps are involved in negotiating the grounds. We found them no problem, nor the one hill to ascend when walking back from town, but we usually took the waterfront path into town and avoided the hill (but did require steps back up to the hotel).

Playa la Madera fronts the hotel and the hotel maintains a small private palapa-covered zone as well. The beach is small and far less crowded than Playa la Ropa around the corner. Being in a bay the waves are small and swimming is easy in the very warm waters.

The Bistro Del Mar restaurant at beach level served up some of the best seafood meals we had anywhere in Zihua. The setting and service were first rate and a decent wine list complimented the meals. Most nights Martin looked after us and he was outstanding. We also spent several evenings in the hotel bars before going out elsewhere for dinner and especially enjoyed the beach side bar although the upper deck near the hotel lobby had fantastic views over the bay. Breakfast was included in our deal and although a sparse set menu selection it was good quality and plenty to start the day. A full menu selection is also available.

The grounds are well covered in beautiful tropical vegetation which, together with staying towards the end of the wet season, meant mosquitos. Definitely bring a good repellent (they have spray available for use if you ask, and was offered to us several evenings without asking). Mosquito nets for the beds might be a good idea but I kind of understand them not providing them as in general I don’t like the confined feeling when using them. The mosquitos are the only negative of our stay but are not a problem exclusive to or due to the hotel and realistically should be expected (still a nuisance).

The hotel and restaurant are somewhat expensive for Playa la Madera but to a large degree you get what you pay for and we found everything well worth the price. A completely enjoyable stay and I would love to return to Aura Del Mar.

Room Tip: Higher rooms for best views but really all are great
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RockDr23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The Aura del Mar was AMAZING in every way, absolute paradise, and we will definitely stay there again when/if we visit Zihua again. It is immaculate and gorgeous, every room has a fantastic view of the bay, the pool is big and lovely and has a great water slide... We were upgraded to a room with a tiled hot tub on our patio, which is absolutely worth paying a few extra bucks for. Every day we returned to our room to find fresh flower petals arranged on the bed. Heaven! The staff is also incredibly friendly and helpful—shout out especially to Carlos (who will set you up with a great snorkeling tour guide) and Francisco, who were wonderful. Oh, and they have 2 computers with wifi if you need to be connected (though the connection can be slow/spotty) and a talking parrot. A TALKING PARROT.

The only reason not to stay here is if you can't handle stairs and/or a steep hill. It's perfectly located (about a 5-10 minute walk downtown and about a 10 minute walk to Playa la Ropa), but you do need to deal with the hotel stairs to reach Playa la Madera and a quite steep hill whether approaching from La Ropa or downtown. But you get incredible views because the hotel is set up on that hill.

Seriously, I cannot praise this hotel enough. Paradise on earth! We loved every minute of our stay there and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Worth paying a few extra dollars for room with a hot tub!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mightypow
Hillsboro
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This hotel is in a beautiful setting and staffed with friendly helpful people. Me and my 2 teenage kids stayed here at the end of July for 7 days. We relaxed, played in the pool, walked into downtown each day and enjoyed our time at the hotel a lot. We stayed in the family suite (#1 - Acupulco) where my kids slept on the couches that converts to 2 twin beds. The king size bed was comfortable, (but directly under the A/C). The room had a jacuzzi tub, hammock and 2 deck chairs. The view is amazing!

There are a couple things to note:
There are a lot of stairs and a big hill to navigate no matter which way you venture out. The market across from the hotel is handy for drinks and snacks for your room. There are no ceiling fans so if you need to cool down it is only A/C. There are no nets/screen for the patio so watch out having your door open to hear the beautiful ocean - there are a lot of mosquitos. The hotel wants you to pay cash for excursions - bring a lot of pesos, everyone wants cash even if they say they take credit cards. They service your room 2 times per day and there is no sign to tell them you want privacy (this got annoying after a while). They provide a large water bottle for in- room water each day, but buy more at the market if you need it. The mini-bar is not stocked, it is just a tall min-fridge. The TV has about 3 channels in English, but who needs TV on vacation?

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view and face out to the pool area.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank msalice72
Roswell, New Mexico
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Okay, I think I need to start this review with the fact that our stay happened last year. Now that I am writing about my experiences, I felt this was one place that deserved the high ratings and I would love to see it in the top 5. Vamonos!

In agreement with what most of the current reviews say, the Aura del Mar is a great value and in my opinion, a first rate experience in lodging. In order for you to know where I am coming from, I must say a couple of things. First off, my traveling experience ranges from backpacking and hostel-jumping overseas to new job training and staying in business type hotels. I am not a fan of business traveling and the "perks" of paying more for a hotel. I'm more of a free spirit who likes to save some money and spend what I save at restaurants, attractions and shopping. I believe in finding a comfortable bed, strong flowing shower, clean linen, quiet room and good A/C. I am not a fan of spending more than a $100 for hotels which do not offer a free breakfast. I am in my early thirties, married and we have a little girl.

Now to the review, this is a hotel with that perfect balance of service and lodging. Each and every person we encountered, from the front desk clerk to the early morning security staff, had a great attitude, was knowledgeable, patient and helpful. When we asked about a crib for our baby, there was one in the room by the time we opened the doors. When we wanted to walk the beach at sunrise, the security guard who opened a gate for us to access the beach offered us a little flashlight and advised us from going to far from the area. We had a little leak with the sink and it was addressed within the hour. No complaints whatsoever!

While checking in, they mentioned the availability of a room with a jacuzzi, however, it was June, it was humid and I did not see ourselves sitting in a Jacuzzi anytime soon. So they offered us a room with a better view and it was a little less expensive. The room was large, clean and comfortable, had a great balcony with two lounge chairs, a hammock, a gorgeous view, spacious bathroom and A/C that saved us from the heat. The bed and linen was the icing on top of this triple layered double chocolate with mousse filling cake. Buenisimo!

The breakfast was very good. Yes, it was a pretty small menu and wasn't what you might see at a five star restaraunt, but it was delicious, light and a great way to start the day. The wait staff was exceptional and the view magnificent. There are few luxuries in life that are as nice as falling asleep to the sound of waves and having your first meal of the day oceanside.

The beach had a small area sectioned off for their clients and this came in handy when the crowds were large. The beach is nice, has few rocks and the waves are not too rough. I'm not much of a beach person so I do not have much to compare this experience. All I know is that my wife and I both had a great time and seemed to lack nothing. The location is pretty good with additional restaurants and eateries within a 10-15 minute walk.

This leads me to talk about Zihua and the surrounding area. There are restaurants on the beach and the staff does their best to persuade you to join them (which I found quite amusing/annoying as I am not accustomed to this). Walking on the beach was safe (although the sunrise walk was a little sketchy) and we found it easier to get to town via the beach route rather than the streets. Approaching the hotel from the street side was quite the hike and doing this in the afternoon took it's toll. The town was nice and had plenty of shops for our tourist needs. We did eat at a couple of restaurants and had a good experience each time. Also, for those on a budget, there is a big grocery store (don't try to walk there) and we bought snacks, drinks and food to make some darn good sandwiches. Oh yeah!

Finally, my thoughts on the overall experience...you have to see the pool. Before Zihua, I had not stayed at a beachside resort or hotel, so I didn't understand why I would see people in a pool when the beach is right there. I grew up in NM and seeing so much water was strange, but seeing someone not enjoy a beach was even stranger. Now I know why and I encourage it. The pool at this hotel was AWESOME. SUPER PADRE! It was clean, clear, had the coolest slide and the hammocks were relaxing. One thing that our family really enjoyed was the small sitting area at the top of the slide. It was the perfect wading pool. My little girl also enjoyed the "pretty birdie." Adults would appreciate the opportunity to have a drink and lounge back in the patio at the top most level. I cannot say enough good things about this place.

I really encourage you to make a reservation. This place is magical. The hotel is big and multi-leveled so people need to be prepared to walk. I must let you know that spending a morning at the beach, walking to the little town to eat and then coming back can be quite the hike, but it was definitely worth it. Yes, there's lots of stairs. Yes, it's humid in July. Life is what you make of it, and...to spend our time in a luxurious hotel on the beach and complain about stairs or filtered water to brush my teeth...eh, it's pretty petty. You will not find a place like this in the states and if you do, please let me know.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Rodney A
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Having traveled many places in the world and having stayed in some of the most highly rated resorts and hotels in the world I have to say that my experience here was nothing short of outstanding! The hotel is older and the rooms are on themselves nothing exceptional but very functional with many features we all consider to be comforting when we travel. We stayed in Room 9 on reception level with Carola. Our room had 2 double beds, small refrigerator freezer in room, jacuzzi, 2 lounge chairs, table and chairs and hammock on balcony, more storage space than you needed, iron, ironing board, hair dryer, clothes line in shower, hot water, good water pressure, safe, double sinks in bathroom and the best view in Zihua you could imagine. All of the staff was amazing, with special thanks to Alexander and Carlos in reception. The Restaurant El Bistro bartender Alfonzo was above and beyond exceptions for the whole week opening the pool bar up for us whenever we went to the pool (we were in off season). Now about the steps, they are a bit of exercise but kept me from gaining weight. But they are doable as we were two 60 year old guys here for fishing. The fishing was bad as we had a Hurricane form off the coast and the Port was closed while we were there due to high waves. This is definitely the place to stay in Zihua for the money. If you need anything just ask and they had a great exchange rate for dollars if you needed pesos currently 12 pesos for a dollar. We also had breakfast included in with our $139.00 room rate which was worth $10 US each and fantastic. They give you a little menu to choose from but its basically whatever you want.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Marty J
Novato, California
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I found Aura Del Mar through Tripadvisor. I was travelling to Ixtapa to stay at Club Med for a week to celebrate my parent's 50th wedding anniversary- and it was so expensive to fly there- I thought I'd see if I could get some better flights by staying an extra few days. Ok...I also wanted to come to Zihuatanejo and find where Andy Dufresne lived out his remaining days as a free man.

I was interested in Casa Que Canta- but it was just too expensive. At Aura Del Mar, a big suite with room for my two children, aged 14 and 11 with a giant balcony and hot tub overlooking the bay was only US$200/night, including breakfast for two!

The cleaning staff left a pretty floral decoration on the bed every day, and the rooms were really clean and nice.

The staff was always super-helpful and pleasant. The restaurant is one of the better ones on Madera Beach for sure- and the staff there was also fantastic.

They even have a parrot that says "Hello" and "Hola" and while it may seem corny- that was really a highlight- as my family is continuing to say "hello" in Mexican Parrot-ese.

After getting into an altercation with a sea urchin while snorkeling at Playa Las Gatas- one of the restaurant waiters, Alfonso, spent over an hour with a candle and a needle trying to pick the urchin out of my mother's foot. I know that sounds like a weird story if you weren't there- but he was just so genuine and friendly- it really made a lasting impression. I even got a massage for 200 pesos next door with Hilda. You can't beat that!

I only have two nits to pick with the hotel... I think that if they are not going to have filtered water, they should provide more water for your room. Now, they do provide one 32 ounce bottle and a couple of 16 ounce bottles- and there is a refrigerator in the room- but that's just not enough for 4 people to be drinking and brushing their teeth with for one day.

There are quite a few stairs in the hotel. If you have a room with a wonderful view- it's likely quite a haul down to the pool and beach. It was really not a problem for me and my family- but I think that you should be aware of that before you book.

All-in-all, Aura Del Mar is one of the best experiences I've had for a local beachfront hotel in Mexico. The quality to value ratio is super high, the location can't be beat and if you are looking for a great experience- you'll find it here at Aura Del Mar in Zihuatanejo!

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher level seemed nicer- with better views- but I suspect you get what you pay fo...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank G3rshik
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I think I echo other reviewers who were married here...my wedding at Aura del Mar was better than what I had even imagined it could be. I had the benefit of knowing the lay of the land prior to our wedding; we were engaged in Zihua on New Year's Eve 12/31/12 and had our wedding at Aura del Mar in early June, just five months later. We spoke to Janet (the wedding planner at the hotel) right after we were engaged and the rest was history. Janet and I were in regular email and/or phone contact form the day we left to the day we got back for our wedding...and I could not have asked for more. She went above and beyond to make our wedding everything I had ever imagined it to be and more. Seriously. Myself and my fiance (unfortunately) do not speak Spanish; it was never an issue. The only English word Janet doesn't know is "no." Anything I asked she would say "yes, of course." And it wasn't just lip service. Everything was done, and done well. From multicolored wedding bags to special small welcome gifts in our parents' rooms to decorations I shipped there and wanted incorporated into various parts of the ceremony, reception, and group activities over the weekend...it was all done and exceeded my (high) expectations. For many of my family members (including my parents), this was their first international travel. They were all immediately put at ease by the fantastic service and staff at Aura del Mar. I can not thank them enough.

For the wedding...we had a harpist for the ceremony on a beautiful terrace full of lush flowers and vegetation overlooking the ocean, amazing. The mariachi band came as a surprise to our guests and was a highlight of the evening right after the ceremony, leading us to the reception space on the large pool terrace below. When we got to the reception space, I could not believe my eyes. The entire pool deck had been transformed into a chic sitting space for the cocktail hour. The reception decorations that I had been talking over with Janet were even better than I thought they could be. She incorporated her ideas and my ideas into something better than I could have ever put together myself. I literally cried when I saw her at the reception...and she was there making sure everything was perfectly orchestrated throughout most of the night (literally, she left at 10PM...well into drinking and dancing). The food at dinner was plentiful, delicious, and completely reasonable in price. The servers...oh my. I never had an empty wine glass, I never could get to the point of wishing I had anything. It was top notch. The DJ was great, took requests, and brought an English speaking MC with a great personality. After a few tequila shots from our friends, they always ran requests for music by myself or my fiance (smart...one of our friends requested a song by a title that I probably can't even post here...we were getting down but lets be honest, our parents were there).

We had about 30 people, about 1/2 of whom who never have left the US, who had an amazing weekend enjoying the true beauty, cuisine, and culture of a real Mexican town while still experiencing the pampering that many travelers expect when going on a beach vacation. Perfect location, perfect staff, perfect wedding. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. My husband and I already are planning on renewing our vows there at 10 years :-)

Thank you, thank you Janet, Miguel, Carlos, Fabian, Jacqueline, Alexander, Francisco...not only for giving me the wedding of my dreams but for giving my family and friends an experience they will never forget. Amazing.

Feel free to contact me via email if you have questions about getting married at Aura del Mar. I added a few photos just to show how beautiful everything was. I personally wouldn't change anything about my wedding for the world.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family