“cancelled reservations”

Ranked #2 of 79 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
A TripAdvisor Member
“cancelled reservations”
Reviewed 21 June 2006

My husband and twin teenagers were booked to stay at this hotel from June 13th through the 18th. We were spending 3 nights prior to our stay at another hotel. While we were at our first hotel, we decided to take the "fishermans walk" along the beach to check out the Brisas Del Mar. During our walk (around noon) along the paseo we realized we were being followed by 2 men. We were so fearful that we actually started making some contingency plans and then decided to just start running until we reached the end of the walk. We have traveled extensively in Mexico and have never felt threatened until then. While we were running towards the hotel, we saw trash in the water and along the waters edge and even what appeared to be a human or large animal's femur bone laying in the sand. When we arrived at the hotel, my twin sons were shocked. Madera Beach could quite possibly be one of the ugliest beaches I have ever seen. It is SMALL, with trash everywhere, dark sand, trash in the water etc. The hotel is VERY rustic and the pool was so dirty that I wouldn't even think about swimming in it. It looked like no one had taken care of it in weeks. The slide would be fun for a 3-4 yr. old. We proceeded to walk up the stairs to the lobby and saw a Toucan or some exotic bird in a cage with drinking water that looked like it hadn't been changed or cleaned in a month. We were appalled at the condition of this bird's cage. By the time we got to the lobby, we all were think the same thought--"we are not staying here!" I couldn't believe the reviews that I read about this hotel prior to the trip. We knew if we cancelled our stay here (4 nights) that we would have to pay the penalty of half of the trip's stay. (2 nights) We thought about it for about 2 minutes and realized there was still no way we would stay here. I had seen the Club Intrawest on- line before the trip and it looked nice. We immediately took a cab over to check it out and see if we could get a room for the remainder of our trip. Club Intrawest is beautiful, right on Playa La Ropa and light years away from this hotel. I have never written a review before, but felt it necessary to shed the light about the Brisas Del Mar.

• Stayed June 2006
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
chicago, il
Reviewed 19 June 2006

Thanks to everyone's postings on tripadvisor, I made a FANTASTIC choice by going with hotel brisas del mar. we were there from 6/7-6/17, and the hotel staff went above and beyond to make us feel like this was more than a place to sleep. alejandro, santiago, and jeanette were awesome!

the hotel was more rustic than i was used to, but this was a good thing. it was exceptionally clean. they used local crafts to decorate the hotel rooms. In addition, the hotel has a lot of nooks that are hidden by palms, flowers, and barro (a type of ceramic) statues. There were families, couples, singles, retirees, and adventurists just letting the mexican sun melt their stress away.

I can't add much to what has already been written, but I wanted to confirm what everyone else is saying: if you want a clean and beautiful place to decompress, this is the place to do it.

Stayed June 2006
10 Thank travel133
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 11 June 2006

We stayed at Brisas Del Mar May 27th to June 3rd and had a wonderful time. From the moment we walked into the lobby and saw the view and rustic feel of the hotel, we were in love. We had a very stressful day of travel that included our bags not arriving with us, but the staff, Santiago & Alejandro in particular, made us feel at home and assured us it would all work out( the bags did arrive the following day). I traveled with my wife and two young boys, and we could not have asked for a more beautiful setting in such an incredible part of Mexico. The atmosphere in the hotel is so pretty, and the room was great, as was the view. We had a very nice beach to play on, and the location is absolutely ideal. The pool is 4 feet deep, so it stays pretty warm, but the slide is an absolute must for kids and adults. We all compared techniques going down.

Maybe the beds are firm, but they did not bother us, and the restaurant does an O.K. job, but certainly not as terrible as so many others had made it sound. The setting alone is worth having at least a couple meals there. But to restrict yourself to eating just there, when you can go on a beautiful 10 minute walk into town and have a hundred other places to choose from, would be silly. We walked the town every day and tried many restaurants. We especially liked Arrecife (cheap), Margaritas and Casa Arcadia on Playa Principal for breakfast. MJ & Richies on the beach has great tacos. Our most amazing dinner and view was at Il Mare, a short but steep walk from the hotel, towards La Ropa. We ate there twice and were treated like family. For a break from the local fare, we found pretty good pizza at Paccalo. We also had a nice meal and setting at Jarocho. You can't go wrong searching out new and fun places to eat.

This was our fourth trip to Mexico, but the first to Zihuatenejo. We have a new favorite in both the town itself and especially Hotel Brisas Del Mar. Can't wait to go back.

10 Thank seasay
Denver
Reviewed 3 June 2006

Just returned from Brisas del Mar and it was great! We were there from May 27th through June 1st. The weather was hot! Just a slight drizzle one night. The hotel was beautiful! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was comfortable. Platform bed was firm, but my husband said he never slept better in a hotel! Most importantly the A/C worked well to keep the room cool. Bathroom was spacious, although one of our sinks did leak which was really not a problem as we just used the other sink. There are many stairs, but manageable by any active person or child! I would also highly recommend a massage from Lupita, again, my husband ranks it as top 5. I would never have imagined a woman so petite to have so much strength kneading my muscles. Overall, we very much enjoyed the atmosphere of the hotel and of Zihuatanejo! We will definitely return to this charming hotel!

8 Thank denver724
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 2 June 2006

It is difficult to determine whether some hotels really have balcony rooms on the beach. This one does. We were a couple of mountain girls looking for quality beach time and we got it. It was nice and quiet, we are not party girls, except for the happy hour tunes which were pure Mexico. It was decorated with Mexican tiles and lanterns and very breazy and comfortable. It was centrally located to town and to the other beaches. The only drawback was the restaurant service. I expect to be asked if I need a marg while I am lounging, I don't want to have to get up and get it myself.The food was good but inconsistent. One day we got yummy creamy salsa and one day chunky no cream salsa. Overall, really great and we would go back.

• Stayed April 2006
8 Thank snowgirl1969
dgriffin1976
Reviewed 24 May 2006

Stayed 5 days at the Brisas, and enjoyed it a great deal. Beautiful property at a great location. We very much liked the ability to walk to the town center and to various excellent restaurants. I would srongly advise against anyone that has trouble with steps, as there are many and quite steep. (we personally considered the climb as a good way to burn off all the great food). Hotel has an incredible view from your room and balcony (I am certain every room has a great view).
I would also advise that they are converting the old spa into a few new suites, so construction noise was heavy on a couple of our days. Be sure to ask for a suite that is not on top of the construction if you are going to be there during the day.
Also, upon checking out, I had $60 worth of towel charges, so do be aware that everytime you switch a beach towel, you have a charge..
Dont miss restaurant La Gula and La Casa Viejo, both right down the street.

6 Thank dgriffin1976
Indianola, Iowa
Reviewed 23 May 2006

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at Brisis Del Mar in Zihuatanejo. We can't say enough good about it. First of all, thanks to all of you who reviewed this hotel for this website. It was very helpful, and the main reason we picked Brisas. We weren't disappointed.

Most of what I have to say has already been said in previous reviews, but this is a very homey place to stay AND is very reasonably priced. The hotel has an authentic Mexican look and feel to it. The rooms are very clean, and almost all of them have a great view of the beach with a large balcony with two chaise lounges and a hammock. (We stayed in Room #10. For extra, you can also get a balcony with a jacuzzi.) The rooms are very spacious with large beds and bathroom. The mattress was very firm and sits on a concrete platform, which is in keeping with the decor of the room. It may feel a bit hard, but even a middle-aged guy like me got used to it by the second night.

The hotel sits right on the bay, along Playa La Madera. The beach is not as pretty as Playa La Ropa or Playa Las Gatas, but a short cab ride (or 20 minute walk) gets you to La Ropa or a water taxi can take you to Las Gatas, both of which I also recommend. But, we spent most of our time on La Madera. It is a much smaller beach, but very clean and quiet, especially during the week. Its other big advantage is that it is much, much closer to Zihuatanejo (a 10 minute walk, at most, along the beach) than from La Ropa. It makes it very easy to visit this lovely little town. We didn't go over to Ixtapa at all. We didn't feel any need to. Everything we wanted for this vacation was right there in Zihuatanejo or at Brisas del Mar.

We thought the food at the hotel was just fine. And the wait staff (Francisco, Edgar, Jesus, et al) was very, very friendly. You must try the Ensala de Jilomate y Queso de Cabra (salad with tomato w/ goat cheese). For the best ceviche, go just down the beach to MJ and Richie's, owned and managed by a very nice gentleman, Raphael. He also makes a great breakfast, but so does Brisas.

Another thing I would recommend is getting a massage from Lupita. I think it's 400 pesos (about $40) for an hour. Believe me, it's worth it!

But the very, very best thing I can recommend about Hotel Brisas is the staff. As foreigners, we want to feel welcome, and everyone at Brisas Del Mar makes you feel welcome, not in an obsequious way, but more like they are inviting you into their home. Our very special thanks to our very special friends: Lorena (the manager), Janet, Santiago, Alejandro, Francisco, and Zihuatanejo's best bartender, Federico. (Margaritas in the U.S. will taste like lemonade after you've had one of his.)

Will we stay there again? You bet! If you want a relaxing, hassle-free vacation that actually feels like you're in Mexico rather than a resort, Brisas Del Mar is the place to go.

Feel free to write me if you have questions.

7 Thank Richard0058