La Quinta de Don Andres
Aura del Mar Hotel(Zihuatanejo)(Great Value!)
US$166
US$67
US$216
US$170
  • Breakfast included
Villa del Sol Resort(Zihuatanejo)
US$444
US$241
US$81
US$60
Las Brisas Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$81
  • Pool
Arena Suites(Zihuatanejo)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$68
La Casa Que Canta(Zihuatanejo)
US$557
US$405
US$344
Club Med Ixtapa Pacific(Ixtapa)
US$443
clubmed.us
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmadera beachperfect locationwithin walking distancelounge chairswonderful small hotelshort walkhotel is locatedfridgepesosoceanpool
Reviewed 4 December 2008

Stayed here with my wife in November 2001(had to put different date in the review info box, they didn't give me 2001 as an option). After our college years, 6 years of marriage and the 9/11 incident we decided it was time for a second honeymoon. With rock-bottom prices and tourism slowed we knew the supply/demand issue would be our fortune if we acted quickly. We had 14 days in Zihua (yes we heard the name on "Shawshank Redemption", did a bit of research and knew this was the place we needed to be). With no lodging reservations we arrived in town (my wife was a bit distressed to say the least). We knew La Madera was the neighborhood we wanted (close to downtown, on the beach and cheaper than La Ropa). After hiring a taxi to take us to La Madera we drove around the neighborhood and to our surprise we stumbled on this gem, La Quinta de Don Andres. I wasn't even sure what the rates were at the time as I had researched so many places I could only recall that we wanted to stay in the La Madera neighborhood. The sign in the lobby said $250-$1000 pesos/night depending on the room and season. I inquired about the best rooms and was escorted to the third floor and penthouse rooms. Both were nice, but when else could I try to haggle for a penthouse? As we walked back down to the lobby I was well aware that the secured parking spaces were empty, the place was immaculately clean and all of the 10 or so rooms were empty as well. Without hesitation I offered $400US for 13 nights. To my amazement they said yes immediately (I thought I'd at least have to go up another $100-$200US). A minute later a man appeared to take our bags up to the penthouse. I could go on, but here's the point(s):

After seeing hooks on the ceilings we asked if they had a hammock, they said it was broken several weeks ago, we went to town for an hour or so and when we arrived they had brought us up a new hammock. Awesome!

The setting, view and luxuriousness from the HUGE patio in the penthouse was great. The views from the pool and other rooms were outstanding as well. Awesome!

The housekeeper and her son kept the place looking great. From our room's daily cleaning (cool towel sculptures), to the pool area and the walkway to the beach, the place was well-kept. Awesome!

Zihua is a great place to get away from it all. We didn't even spend one second in Ixtapa (less Gringos=more fun, isn't that why we chose to leave the states for a few weeks). The town has it all. Stores big and small, mercado shopping, good food choices, traditional Catholic church, pier, 4 beaches, neighborhoods, etc... Awesome!

Basically, we fell in love with so many things about this place and town, plus we came home pregnant. Two things we wanted to accomplish. Nine months later our son was born. He's now 6 and will be taking his first trip to Zihua soon. This time we will opt for the 2nd or 3rd story suite. With two kids.............. we need two rooms!

So in short (ya' right) If it's anything close to the way it was in 2001, I wouldn't stay anywhere else. It was top-notch for my 'blue collar', the service was great, the setting superb and it still tops my list as my favorite vacation. Guess we'll find out in June 2009 if it still has the charm and sparkle of yesteryear.

Adios!

• Stayed: November 2005, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DaleMurphy4HOF
Reviewed 17 October 2007

A friend and I stayed at this hotel from October 11th thru October 16th, 2007. We had the penthouse room which is basically an open air living space on the roof of the hotel. The bedroom and bathroom are enclosed with locking doors, but we spent every moment we could out on our beautiful terrace (see photos). The hotel is small, with only 7 rooms. The grounds and the rooms are kept immaculate. The hotel is right on the beach, which is about 15 stairs down from the hotel grounds.

The hotel is located on Playa La Madera, about a 10 minute walk along the bayside boardwalk to the Centro where most of the restaurants and all of the shopping is located.

There are a couple of small convenience stores nearby where you can get water, beer & snacks. There is also a laundry. I paid $6USD to have my laundry done before I went back to the States which was totally worth it since I didn't have to do laundry when I got home. The water in the shower was hot, but the pressure was very low, making for longer rinse times. The AC in the room was cold. The bed was comfortable. We had a small refrigerator, stove and sink in our open air kitchen. The fridge kept the beer & water cold. Utensils, plates, cups, and a small frying pan were provided. There is a hammock which was great for relaxing and enjoying the breeze. We paid $73USD per night. It was a fair price for the wonderful views we got.

The staff at the hotel was kind, but not overly friendly or helpful. The hotel manager seemed indifferent and wasn't very helpful when asked for suggestions. I have encountered much friendlier people in many other areas of Mexico.

This hotel is geared mostly for families since they offer 2 bedroom suites. The hotel was full of screaming / yelling (seriously!) children the entire time we were there. We were unable to use the pool due to the fact that there were always 10 people in there from sunrise to 10pm. The pool was clean when we got there, but by the time we left it was very dirty. If you're going for peace and quiet, with no kids around, I would not advise staying here.

As for Zihua, we ate at several local restaurants that were fantastic. All are moderately priced, as this part of the coast tends to be more expensive than other areas of Mexico. For good pizza, Pizza Locas. For GREAT tacos, Los Braseros. For a wonderful filling breakfast, La Sirena Gorda. Bistro del Mar on the beach is very good, but pricey. The service at Bistro del Mar was outstanding, comparable to 5-star dining.

The beaches in Zihua are small and nothing spectacular. The best beaches were in Ixtapa or along other parts of the coast. Zihua is a fishing village and is not a resort area like Ixtapa. Ixtapa is full of large all-inclusive hotels, just like Cancun. Zihua is full of small family run inns and you have to go out for your meals or cook them in your room. The fish is as fresh as it gets here. If you like a small town feel and aren't high maintenance, then Zihua may be the place for you.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
5  Thank WorldTravellerr
Reviewed 27 September 2007

We found this on the web along with several others.

We had a very clean 2 bedroom, 2 bath on the 3rd floor front.
The maid service was excellent and the room was kept immaculate. The views from the balcony were fantastic, The grounds were very well kept. The beds were very large and the unit had a good kicthen but needed more utensils. The hotel provided plenty of extra towels for the beach. Betty, the book keeper gave us a great tip on Playa Large about 30 minutes fro the hotel. Very good food and service at restaurant Gemenni (sp). Ask for Juana for a waitress. She was fantastic. Great prices as well. Included bathroom, shower, lounge chairs ect.

Our family had a great time.

The pizza at Pizza Loca in centro was awesome. Great service too.

One sour note: the manager at Don Andreas did not or could not address excessive drinking at the pool which kept families away from the pool. He promised it would not happen again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank Chaplain-Jack
Reviewed 11 July 2006

My friend and I picked this place from tripadvisor and the website, so we were flying blind. Lucky for us, it was lovely. We got a two bedroom little apartment with a balcony facing out over the bay. It was totally amazing. What a view from the white arches of our balcony... We were on one end of Madera beach and just had to walk on the path on the beach about 10 minutes over to Playa Principal to get to where all the restaurants were. The view is great. The place is clean. The beds aren't the most comfortable, but I was so -ahem- tired each night that it didn't stop me from sleeping. Also, we were told one room would have a king and one room would have a queen, but instead we got a king and two twins. That was a bummer, but it wouldn't stop me from staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2006
9  Thank Memphisthecat
Reviewed 26 October 2005

We were in Zihua for 6 weeks and the last 18 days, we spent at La Quinta De Don Andres. This was not our first time to Zihua, but the place we had stayed before (Brisas del Mar) was way overpriced for this time of year. I was so pleased with our pick that I would recommend it to all. The view has got to be the best on La Madera Beach. We had a 2-bedroom villa (#6), right below the penthouse, and the view is incredible!!!! The rooms are very clean, spacious, and the beds are comfy. The location is great as welll......an easy walk into town along the ocean boardwalk. My dad, who is 71, had no problem walking to and from town. The only downside is that there are no lounge chairs on the beach........but you can always bring a beach towel.

• Stayed: October 2005