“Warm, hospitable and truly charming”
Review of Casa del Encanto

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Zihuatanejo
Casa del Encanto
Ranked #9 of 60 Zihuatanejo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 March 2011

I arrived in Mexico a day ahead of my friends and family and needed a place to stay for one night. I wanted to stay somewhat close to the airport to facilitate meeting up the next day and I abhor staying in big hotels/resorts... in my search for a small B&B, I came across Casa Del Encanto and I shot off an email to see if there was any availability. Not only did Laura write back quickly, but gave me a great rate and arranged for a massage upon arrival and horseback riding after breakfast the next morning. The village is charming and there are several restaurants with wonderful fare... although you don't have to go far... just across the street you can get a fabulous dinner for only a couple of dollars.

The room was clean and comfortable and although mosquito nets are provided, there don't appear to be any pests in February as I spent a good part of the evening lounging in the hammock sipping tequila and listening to the sounds of the village. Breakfast was a delight and quite filling. I relaxed with the other guests sipping coffee in the garden until the horses arrived to pick me up for a ride. My guide told me he was fourteen, but I swear he wasn't a day over 9... a charming young man who took me around the mangrove, through a palm tree shaded field of cattle to a virgin beach... and then let me race him back to Playa Larga (and let me win).

I have to tell you that finding Casa Del Encanto was truly serendipitous and that no future trip to that region will ever be without a return to Barra... Thank you Laura!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank TarheelMD

Reviewed 27 February 2011

We have been returning to this special place for the past 6 years. The first time we arrived from the airport and drove into this small village with unpaved streets, we thought we made a big mistake and wanted to turn around and go back to Zihua. But as we entered the grounds to this magical place, we knew it would be special. The garden is lush, inviting and where the guests sit around a large table for breakfast. The rooms are really special - large, comfortable, open to the patio, hammocks for lounging, and large comfortable beds with netting. Laura, the owner and host, is an american who has lived in this village for many years. She started a library for the children, is very involved with the community and is a great source of stories and information about the area. Walking down the unpaved streets, eating at the tiny but very good outdoor restaurants in the evening and chatting with the local children is a real treat and authentic experience. Our last visit even included a local weddings.We would not hesitate to recommend this wonderful place mailnly because of the ambiance and owner.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ruthieCalifornia
Reviewed 31 January 2011

First let me say that I own a condo near La Ropa in Zihuatanejo. My own condo had guests and I needed a place to stay for two nights, so I booked with Laura Kelly at Casa del Encanto in the charming village of Barra de Potosí. It is a trip back in time!
I had made many outings to La Barra to kayak and bird watch in the amazing lagoon, to body surf in the waves and to eat red snapper 'a la talla' on the beach. This is my first time staying in the village. Laura is a perfect hostess. The mattresses are good, the linens and towels impeccable, the water is hot, Internet is available and the food is delicious and fresh. The B & B itself is charming, rustic and colorful with many hammocks, chairs, outdoor beds, fountains and lounging spots. The butterflies, bats, dragonflies and humming birds abound.
The village of three unpaved streets and 500 residents itself is alive with the sound of roosters, dogs and the laughter of children. At night the inn sparkles with twinkly lights and candles everywhere. This B &B is perfect for the traveler who wants to experience part of the real Mexico. Be aware: the roosters may start crowing before the crack of dawn!
A word about La Barra itself: the large lagoon is famous for it’s abundant bird life, mangrove tunnels, salt cultivation in the old way and shellfish hunting. It is magical. The enramada (arbor) restaurants that line the long white beach serve wonderful fresh seafood. The water is safer for swimming than the open-sea beaches like Playa Larga or Troncones because of the small ‘bay’.
Laura Kelly won the ‘Immigrant of the Year’ award from the county of Zihuatanejo for her work with the Children’s Library of La Barra. She is dedicated to teaching the children not only to read and write, but also to be good stewards of this amazing place. Do not miss your chance to experience small village life at the beach before big business ‘discovers’ it.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2010

We stayed here for a couple of weeks in February: my husband and I and another couple and their kids. Fabulous breakfasts, great hostess in Dona Laura and Juanni and Muni keep it all ticking along..If you have a choice then go for the upstairs rooms.

This is not for those who like all inclusive type holidays: it is definitely on the funky side but wonderfully charming and it feels as though you are at home (in a good way!).

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed 14 April 2010

Spent a wonderful 14 days there in March. Totally agree with previous reviews. Here is a place that you will have the feeling of true Mexico. The house is rustic and beautiful and kept clean by two wonderful ladies ,Juanni and Muni. The gardens around the home are lush, cool and tranquil with the sounds of water splashing in the pond and the songs of the birds in the trees. A delicious breakfast consisting of fresh fruits, yogurt, breads and freshly ground coffee. If you would like anything else, all you have to do is ask, the girls make wonderful eggs.

Our gracious and very friendly host was Laura Kelly who is the proprietor of Cas del Encanto. Our room was open air with ceiling fans and plenty of lounging/siesta space and areas designed to provide the best comfort for whatever you decide to do. Read a book, listen to music or simply fall asleep. Our bathroom was very spacious.

Each morning as you walk to the beach you are greeted with friendly warm smiles and greetings from all the little children in the village. You can grab a spot at an Enramada along the beach and just "chill", eat, or fish. All the food I have had in the past 6 years of visiting these enramadas have been excellant. The beach isn't dirty as another reviewer claimed, nor is it crowded. There has been many a day that there was only a few of us insite, on the entire beach.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2010

Here is a place that you will have the feeling of true Mexico. In the 2 months we stayed here the people were always warm and caring, both in town and at Casa del Encanto.

The house is rustic but beautiful and kept clean by two wonderful ladies (Juanni and Muni) who work hard to keep the guests as comfortable as possible. In the heat of the afternoon, the gardens around the home are lush, cool and tranquil with the sounds of water splashing in the pond and the songs of the birds in the foliage.

The home is open air as most of the homes in town are. In the evenings even though the windows and openings have netting, a bat may come in but they usually will fly out just as fast.

If you want a Club Med vacation than this is not for you. If you want to live among the people of the town, eat what they eat and understand a little more of their culture, this is an experience like none other.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Magnificent, Tranquility, Friendly and Absolutely Beautiful – Casa del Encanto, Barra de Potosi

I have read many reviews about All-Inclusive resorts and also have had the pleasure of vacationing in the same scenarios both in Ixtapa and the Dominion Republic at Punta Cana. Both offered great times and plenty of fun. There were endless buffets and very friendly people.

This year my wife and I tried something different and visited Casa del Encanta located in La Barra de Potosi, Mexico about 20 miles south of Ziuantinejo.

What a wonderful surprise. Casa del Encanto is a boutique Bed & Breakfast located in the heart of a small fishing village/town where you find a small paradise within the rustic environment where the local inhabitants practice their trade of making fishing nets by hand during the day and spending their nights fishing off the beaches of Barra de Potosí.

If you are looking for the personal touch and real experience of Mexico you should look for Barra de Potosi. In addition to the wonderful people and their openness towards visitors, there are over 9 miles of unspoiled beaches surrounded by hills on the left and open ocean to the front. You can expect ‘hola’ from everyone you meet including the children. It is not a nightlife town although it is what you decide to make it. From locally owned family café/restaurants to the over 29 enmaradas on the beach you can find virtually any type of seafood, chicken or even cheeseburgers and fries if that’s to your liking.

Each morning as the ‘cock crows,’ you are greeted with friendly warm smiles and a delicious breakfast consisting of fresh fruits, yogurt, breads and the very best freshly ground coffee available anywhere.

Enclosed by coconut trees and other indigenous plant life Casa del Encanta offers an escape from the routine providing its guests with comfort yet original Mexican culture and hospitality.

We have just finished booking our return trip extending our previous stay and cannot wait until we feel the warmth and familial comfort of staying with Laura, Juani, and Mune.