“Peaceful B&B”
Review of Casa del Encanto

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Zihuatanejo
Casa del Encanto
Ranked #9 of 59 Zihuatanejo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We stayed at this B&B for a week and it was the most peaceful and relaxing! Our hostess Laura was helpful and very friendly. She knows the village very well and gave us great advice and tips. We love what she does for the village and the influence she has made for the children.
Casa del Encanto is beautiful and has great character! Our spacious, colorful room with comfortable beds and hammocks was always clean. We enjoyed our delicious breakfast. Our favorites were mexican style eggs and fresh fruits! YUM! We loved that Casa del Encanto is located in the village and that the rooms are open air. It is Mexico, so there are roosters crowing in the middle of the night anywhere. We got used to it very easily. We still speak of how much we miss sleeping in the open air! We met great friends here and had great conversation in the communal space by the kitchen. We love the atmosphere here, especially at night when the candles are lit.
We thought we'd get bored spending a whole week at the same place, but it was just perfect! We rented kayaks, went on a lagoon tour and a playa Manzanillo tour with Avi (recommended by Laura), met great people, attended a wedding for the whole village, and simply enjoying the beach!
We would love to go back soon!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank totalbeachaddict
There are newer reviews for Casa del Encanto

Reviewed 2 February 2012

I have stayed at this B & B many times through the years. Laura is helpful and knowledgeable about everything in the village. Her place is charming and welcoming. Love it! I'll keep coming back.

Room Tip: Love the upstairs rooms and the bungalow.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank senoravieja
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I don't think one could pick a worse place to stay in Barra de Potosi. There seem to be other nicer, cleaner places. This place is falling apart and full of bugs. Ugg!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Lauragecko, Owner at Casa del Encanto, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2012

This review refers to a two night stay in Oct, 2011. When this person contacted me I informed her that I would be traveling and not onsite during her stay. I offered her a discounted rate as her stay would be during the rainy season and also because I would not be present. I did arrange to have a bilingual manager onsite along with cleaning staff who were instructed to attend during her stay. I informed her I would be in close contact via internet with my staff and asked her to let me know immediately if she needed anything or if there were any problem of any kind. I heard nothing. My staff reported that she claimed she was content with the condition of the house upon arrival and made no complaints during her stay. I was surprised and disappointed to read this commentary.

We received very positive feedback from the Lonely Planet reviewer only one week prior to her stay. This conflicts with her description of the house. However, it is my wish to always do whatever I can to insure that our guests are not unhappy with their stay. IF something occurs to present a problem for a guest, we work hard to rectify it. If this guest had contacted me with her feelings about the house I would have acted immediately to make sure the situation was resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

I do feel her description is overly harsh and doesn't represent the real condition of Casa del Encanto.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

To escape the grey/rainy Pacific Northwest weather this December, I booked a flight to the southernmost destination my airline mileage program would take me - Zihuatanejo. I've never taken a Spanish class so for my first trip to Mexico staying in American operated accommodations was a must. I found Casa del Encanto's owner, Laura, praiseworthy. Over my 2 night stay, she directed me to the best enramada restaurants in Barra de Potosi, a kayak rental in the lagoon, and a masseuse. Activities, food, drinks, etc… are very affordable in Mexico in comparison to the US. For example, the kayak rental was about $8 US per hour. Casa del Encanto is located in the village, but Laura also owns a small piece of heaven on the beach. Her beach property which is about a 10 minute walk away has hammocks, grass, and the best part a massage tent. Masseuse Lupe charges approx. $20 US for a 1 hour massage. Despite being her last customer of the day, she was able to give me the most intense deep tissue massage I've ever had the pleasure to experience. Casa del Encanto's guest rooms are clean and spacious. While the rooms are open air, netting prevents wildlife from entering your suite. As other reviewers commented, I did hear the sounds of village life at night: music, dogs barking, and roosters crowing. If you are seeking a quiet oasis, a B&B on a lively village street isn't for you. The breakfast at Casa del Encanto included freshly squeezed orange juice, coffee, and an assortment of breads, granola, Mexican yogurt, papaya, and eggs. Better than the food was the atmosphere. Around the communal dining table I befriended other Americans who became my travel buddies.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Erica S
Reviewed 19 December 2011

If you want to stay in a wonderful little Mexican village and eat super-fresh seafood in palapa restaurants on a long undeveloped beach, stay at Laura's place. Her garden has hammocks and fountains and a communal breakfast table where you meet the most interesting people. If you want luxury and isolation from Mexican life, go to Ixtapa. But a vacation at Casa del Encanto will be a sweet heartful Mexican experience you will not forget.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katyayani76
Reviewed 13 March 2011

I arrived in Mexico a day ahead of my friends and family and needed a place to stay for one night. I wanted to stay somewhat close to the airport to facilitate meeting up the next day and I abhor staying in big hotels/resorts... in my search for a small B&B, I came across Casa Del Encanto and I shot off an email to see if there was any availability. Not only did Laura write back quickly, but gave me a great rate and arranged for a massage upon arrival and horseback riding after breakfast the next morning. The village is charming and there are several restaurants with wonderful fare... although you don't have to go far... just across the street you can get a fabulous dinner for only a couple of dollars.

The room was clean and comfortable and although mosquito nets are provided, there don't appear to be any pests in February as I spent a good part of the evening lounging in the hammock sipping tequila and listening to the sounds of the village. Breakfast was a delight and quite filling. I relaxed with the other guests sipping coffee in the garden until the horses arrived to pick me up for a ride. My guide told me he was fourteen, but I swear he wasn't a day over 9... a charming young man who took me around the mangrove, through a palm tree shaded field of cattle to a virgin beach... and then let me race him back to Playa Larga (and let me win).

I have to tell you that finding Casa Del Encanto was truly serendipitous and that no future trip to that region will ever be without a return to Barra... Thank you Laura!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank TarheelMD
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We have been returning to this special place for the past 6 years. The first time we arrived from the airport and drove into this small village with unpaved streets, we thought we made a big mistake and wanted to turn around and go back to Zihua. But as we entered the grounds to this magical place, we knew it would be special. The garden is lush, inviting and where the guests sit around a large table for breakfast. The rooms are really special - large, comfortable, open to the patio, hammocks for lounging, and large comfortable beds with netting. Laura, the owner and host, is an american who has lived in this village for many years. She started a library for the children, is very involved with the community and is a great source of stories and information about the area. Walking down the unpaved streets, eating at the tiny but very good outdoor restaurants in the evening and chatting with the local children is a real treat and authentic experience. Our last visit even included a local weddings.We would not hesitate to recommend this wonderful place mailnly because of the ambiance and owner.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple