“A perfect spot to feel close to the true Mexico”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa del Encanto

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Zihuatanejo
Casa del Encanto
Ranked #8 of 57 Zihuatanejo B&B and Inns
Drexel Hill
“A perfect spot to feel close to the true Mexico”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

Here is a place that you will have the feeling of true Mexico. In the 2 months we stayed here the people were always warm and caring, both in town and at Casa del Encanto.

The house is rustic but beautiful and kept clean by two wonderful ladies (Juanni and Muni) who work hard to keep the guests as comfortable as possible. In the heat of the afternoon, the gardens around the home are lush, cool and tranquil with the sounds of water splashing in the pond and the songs of the birds in the foliage.

The home is open air as most of the homes in town are. In the evenings even though the windows and openings have netting, a bat may come in but they usually will fly out just as fast.

If you want a Club Med vacation than this is not for you. If you want to live among the people of the town, eat what they eat and understand a little more of their culture, this is an experience like none other.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Darby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2010

Magnificent, Tranquility, Friendly and Absolutely Beautiful – Casa del Encanto, Barra de Potosi

I have read many reviews about All-Inclusive resorts and also have had the pleasure of vacationing in the same scenarios both in Ixtapa and the Dominion Republic at Punta Cana. Both offered great times and plenty of fun. There were endless buffets and very friendly people.

This year my wife and I tried something different and visited Casa del Encanta located in La Barra de Potosi, Mexico about 20 miles south of Ziuantinejo.

What a wonderful surprise. Casa del Encanto is a boutique Bed & Breakfast located in the heart of a small fishing village/town where you find a small paradise within the rustic environment where the local inhabitants practice their trade of making fishing nets by hand during the day and spending their nights fishing off the beaches of Barra de Potosí.

If you are looking for the personal touch and real experience of Mexico you should look for Barra de Potosi. In addition to the wonderful people and their openness towards visitors, there are over 9 miles of unspoiled beaches surrounded by hills on the left and open ocean to the front. You can expect ‘hola’ from everyone you meet including the children. It is not a nightlife town although it is what you decide to make it. From locally owned family café/restaurants to the over 29 enmaradas on the beach you can find virtually any type of seafood, chicken or even cheeseburgers and fries if that’s to your liking.

Our gracious and very friendly host was Laura Kelly who is the proprietor of Cas del Encanto. Our room was open air with ceiling fans and plenty of lounging/siesta space and areas designed to provide the best comfort for whatever you decide to do. Read a book, listen to music or simply fall asleep.

Each morning as the ‘cock crows,’ you are greeted with friendly warm smiles and a delicious breakfast consisting of fresh fruits, yogurt, breads and the very best freshly ground coffee available anywhere.

Enclosed by coconut trees and other indigenous plant life Casa del Encanta offers an escape from the routine providing its guests with comfort yet original Mexican culture and hospitality.

We have just finished booking our return trip extending our previous stay and cannot wait until we feel the warmth and familial comfort of staying with Laura, Juani, and Mune.

Port Moody, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2010

Wishing I was back in La Barra de Potosi at la Casa Del Encanto. Spent a wonderful 10 days there in late January. Totally agree with previous review.. you can hear the ocean at night amid the sounds of the village going to sleep. Dona Laura is a wonderful inn keeper ..and the people you meet while staying in the village add a whole other dimension to this getaway.
If you want fancy this isn't the place.. if you want casual, easy going, part of the village with interesting discourse around the breakfast table then stay at the Casa.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Ashland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2009

I have been staying at Casa Del Encanto since 2004. It always surprises me with the total change of pace. I stay for a week in Zihuatanejo before coming here and the slower pace is something I'm always ready for. It is an encompassing world of rural Mexico. It is not for "city folk" or those not accustomed to being in rural villages. But it is lovely--I was working on a writing project while I was there and felt like Hemingway, sitting in the pastel open air room with my computer and a cold brew at my side. And, contrary to other reviewers, you can hear the ocean. The short walk down the village street to the beach is a welcome change of pace. The small restaurants on the street are great--I ate many times at Dona Martha's "Dos Hermanos". Enchiladas and beer for under 5 bucks. I also enjoyed kayaking in the lagoon--world class bird watching with Orlando from the village. I worked on a wildlife refuge in Alaska, so was thrilled to see some of the same migrating birds. I enjoyed the breakfasts--we had granola, yoghurt and also huevos rancheros one day and chilequiles another. The coffee with real cream is something I indulge in here--the caffeine doesn't seem to stop me from sleeping at night as it does in the states. I prefer to stay in the village instead of the beach because of more contact with the great folks of La Barra. The beach isn't dirty as another reviewer claimed. Enramada La Condesa has a fabulous grilled fish with garlic that is to die for. Dona Laura is a great host and the rooms are comfortable. If you don't like the sounds of dogs or roosters--bring ear plugs, but these sounds are the sound of "home".

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fireweed108
mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2009

Beware! Casa del encanto's website pics look fine but they are highly deceiptful, taken in specific angles that do not show the reality of the town nor the place. Don't get me wrong, I am a very experienced traveler around Mexico. Being a Mexican citizen and working for an international foundation for almost a decade, I've visited awesome little B&Bs in places like San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas; Ocotlán, Oaxaca; Patzcuaro, Michoacan. I know all about Mexican good & bad B&B so I wasn't expecting of course a deluxe hotel when I arrived there, but neither I expected a place where we had to suffer. Following are some of the key "features" we found at Casa del "des" encanto:
1) Room with no view and separated from the kitchen by only a curtain. We could hear from 7 am practically all the noises of the house. Our only window faced a garbage dump, full of garbage because according to the owner "during holidays garbage collectors don't come that often". You can immagine the smell.
2) At night, BATS will come INSIDE the room and pooped in our bathroom, by the bed and the owner's answer to that was that this is part of the things you would find in a place like hers.
3) Beach was super full of people and dirty, kids peeing in the water and leaving trash everywhere. Don't know if it is different during other seasons but it was a nightmare in New Year's eve.
4) The "lovely owner" as it is described in other reviews, hired a KID to serve tables (and alcohol) during new year's dinner. I was simply outraged. She found him "so cute". That's child labor, cannot be called any different even if you are in Mexico.
5) We made the mistake of paying 100% in advance. If you are really willing to take the risk of going there, DONT' DO THAT. She won't refund you anything. We decided to leave after 2 nights of surviving trash and bats, and she didn't refund a single peso even if we had paid in advance 5 nights at an outrageous rate of over 90 USD per night.
I know the Zihuatanejo area pretty well. There are dozens of other nice little hotels you can visit there. Just don't go to Casa del (des) encanto. If you are a foreigner, you will feel trapped as you won't have available transport to run out of there. If you are a Mexican, you will feel as offended as I felt by finding this lady who thinks knows soo much about Mexico and in reality deceives people who trust her misleading internet page.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank KSJP
san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2009

I just spent two incredible weeks in this most unique and beautiful bed and breakfast. I will go again in a heartbeat.The visual delights never ceased to soothe and amaze me. Laura, the host, is not only gracious but a true artist as well in this beautiful setting she has created. Each room is personally designed with brilliant colors, tinkling fountains, cozy spots to recline and relax, comfortable beds and hot showers. To give you an idea of how special it is, the B&B was featured more than once in Europe's Elle magazine. The staff is friendly and competent. The breakfast is healthy and delicious. But remember, this is the tropics. It is not the fancy resort polished and protected from real life, meaning you may find a gecko on the wall or hear the rooster crowing in the wee hours, Step outside your door and there is a little village where you might one day see a child on a horse pulling behind him a bull. Or the village children singing in a procession as they move down the dirt street. Traditional. A treasure. Just a long block away is the stunning white sand beach where you can rest in a hammock in the shade of the palapa and sip from a fresh coconut. Or wander down the beach to Laura's private palapa for a massage. I highly recommend this experience to anyone who wants to be in the tropics in a clean safe setting of true beauty with all the delights of an unspoiled small village literally out one's door. Do yourself a favor and have this experience just once in your life.

• Liked — the beauty and setting
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank evagrace
Somerville, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2009

I recently stayed here with my new wife and had a positively awesome time. Our room was enormous (1 queen, 2 single day beds, and 2 hammocks, BR in the room with shower). Laura (owner) was great, she knows everything and everyone in the area and is really invested in both protecting and improving the community she lives in. The whole place was magical - hammocks to lounge in everywhere... candles and white holiday lights twinkling everywhere made it glitter. Breakfast was great with yogurt, fresh fruit, granola, and good coffee. And while it is not right on the beach, they have an on the beach property with shade and hammocks... a stone's throw away from a beach-side bar and some pretty good ceviche! Note: this is not the place to come if you are interested in all that comes with an all inclusive resort. The best part of my experience was meeting wonderful friends at breakfast, the knowledge of our host, knowing that supporting her also meant supporting the children's library in town, and the fact that time slows down to a very relaxing pace here. Be ready for living in a rural seaside town. No ATM in town get your cash at the airport. It is quiet most of the time, but being rural you will be exposed to dogs barking, roosters crowing, and the sounds of the town just outside the walls (bring ear plugs if you need to) - and read Laura's website thoroughly. With this advice you will have a wonderful and relaxing time! We did!

• Liked — its unique atmosphere - it is not like any other place I have stayed in - it was fantastic
  • Disliked — I did not know before I came that the nearest ATM was back at the airport about 30 min away
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple