“Back again and love it more than ever!”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Casa Don Francisco
Ranked #43 of 78 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed 6 March 2012

This was our third stay at Hotel Casa Don Francisco, which pretty much says it all. Until we retire and can spend several months in Zih, Casa Don Francisco will always be our home away from home. The grounds are incredibly beautiful and serene. With only eight rooms in the hotel, there is a tremendous amount of privacy and very little noise. Erika and her staff go out of their way to make visitors feel welcome and at home. Each night there was a security guard who kept track of the guest arriving home for the night. While we never once felt unsafe anywhere in Zih, it was nice to know someone was keeping track of our comings and goings.
We planned on staying in our regular rooms on the 3rd floor, but because we frequent the hotel and it was our honeymoon, Erika upgraded us to a second floor room with a plunge pool. The room was slightly larger than the ones above it, but the balcony was larger than the others and the private pool was nice refuge after a grueling day at the beach. Each day and night we would sit have cocktails (from the VERY reasonable priced) mini bar, while enjoying the amazing view.

In the morning, Erika and her staff served up a wonderful breakfast that was different everyday and she would chat with her guests about the evening before and their plans for the day. She took care of all of our dinner reservations and even ordered food for those guests who wanted to eat on their balconies.

With immaculate grounds, very personal service and finely appointed rooms, there is no doubt that this is one of the nicest places we have ever stayed.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 March 2012

First off, I would like to start this review by stating most emphatically that I am not a risk taker and if I did not feel totally safe in Zihuatanejo I would not come. Statistically, I am safer here than in Orlando, Florida where people take their kids all year round and think nothing of it.

I will not expound on my previous reviews of this hotel except to say Erica is constantly doing everything in her power to make this hotel the best ever. Erica Ibarra Rivera grew up on this beautiful beach, went to Mexico City at the age of 15 to go to high school and receive a university education, and eventually returned back to this small town to run the family owned and newly built hotel about 10 years ago. Erica tells me how as a young girl she whined everyday to her mother to leave this small town, only to return years later when she realized what a gem it really was. Did I mention she had to come back here to meet her future husband, Sanin?

Ok, down to this year's activities. A wedding on the beach and about 20 young (age 23-30) adults attended. All were surprised by the charming town of Zihuatanejo and La Ropa Beach, the great food, and the reasonable prices. As the wedding photographer remarked, "You can spend as little or as much as you want here and have a great time". All vowed to return next year and agreed that the experience by far exceeded their expectations. Traditionally, Zihuatanejo has not been a destination for young people, but I see that changing in the years to come.

Another highlight of this year's trip was a visit to" La Chole" ( about 20 kilometers outside of town) where a more than 2000 year-old archaeological site is currently being excavated. A newly opened museum provided a fascinating insight into life back then with many artifacts on display. Our guide, Carlos, was excellent, spoke perfect English and was a wealth of information. Currently, 300 university students are coming to continue the excavation of this important site in Mesoamerica. I can't wait to return next year to see more of this town that was wiped out in a Tsunami more than 500 years ago. The Spaniards, upon their arrival, covered up what the tsunami didn't so there's lots of work to be done. As of this writing there was no admission charge but we did tip Carlos for his approximately 2 hour tour. Take water if you plan to visit as it was very warm that day.

This year I attended (not by invitation and all were welcome) Owen Lee's Birthday Party out on Los Gatos Beach. I can see why he decided to make this his home way back in the 70"s. His view is breathtaking. Owen gave an interesting and animated speech about his years working with Jaques Cousteau on the "Calypso" and of his experiences of moving to this wonderful area. His book, "A Prisoner in Paradise" chronicles his love affair with Zihuatanejo

As always, the food at my two favorite restaurants, El Mediteraneo and Piazza de Angelo continue to be my all time favorite places to eat both for quality and consistency. For a wonderful late lunch experience check out "Carmelita's" . . . like eating home-cooking at your grandma's house. She serves food that you will not find in any restaurant in the town.

Finally, Hotel Casa Don Francisco will continue to be my #1 rated destination for January and part of February. One could almost spend a vacation sitting on their terrace with a view of the bay and never leave the room but, the beach and adventure calls. I would be sad not to see the friends I have made from Canada, Mexico, and all over the USA. I am already looking forward to next year and another "chapter in my book".

Room Tip: All rooms on the 2nd level and up have terraces and a wonderful view of the bay. The first level roo...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SenoritaClaudia
Reviewed 24 December 2011

As mentioned in many of the other reviews, this small luxury hotel is very special.
All of the rooms have a walk out to a private patio and some have pools!. The views from the rooms are spectacular. Erica and her team personally prepare breakfast with a true mexican passion for food. They will also recommend daily activities and arrange reservations in Zihua's best restaurants. A must stay for visitors to Zihua peaceful and romantic.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2011

I stay at Casa Don every year for 5 to 6 weeks. . . this year I stayed in Pez Vela. The view was incredible and as usual the service and food were excellent. A delicious full breakfast is included in the price of the room. Mis amigas, Erica and her sister Edid do a wonderful job of making the stay memorable. I can't say enough about this special place. The previous reviews say it all. The same returning guests, year after year, is a testament to the quality you get at Casa Don for a price lower than comparable places to stay on La Ropa beach.

This year Erica made reservations for a whole group of us to go and have the Thursday 3:00 lunch/dinner at El Pueblito. Erica did the ordering for us and we were served a delicious traditional Mexican meal including my favorite tameles with pork in red sauce wrapped in banana leaves. My mouth waters thinking of them. The special "Chiles en Nogada", a traditional dish, was really good and worth the calories. The entertainment was wonderful, a singer /musician who had a beautiful voice. Our whole group had the best time laughing and eating. It was truly a fun experience that I won't forget anytime too soon.

Thanks to Edid, too, where I found a great dress for my son's rehearsal dinner by the Canadian designer, Joseph Ribkoff. She has ladies and children's clothes in El Centro that can't be found in other shops in town.

As always, I am already looking forward to my return trip in January 2012 at Casa Don.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank SenoritaClaudia
Reviewed 13 March 2011

We chose the Casa based on other reviews and we were absolutely not disappointed. The location (a few steps) to the Playa Ropa was great. Erica and her staff were kind, helpful and as good as any 5 star hotel. We stayed in El Ostion which has a fantastic view out over the Bay of Zihuatanejo. It is so peaceful and relaxing at this location that all we wanted to do was sit on the deck and read! However, the beach called so of course we went down to enjoy some cold beer and margaritas.
One of the other reviewers called the Casa a hidden gem in the hidden gem of Zihuatanejo. we could not agree more. This is absolutely the best of the many places we have visited in Mexico. Like most other places around the bay the Casa is built on a hillside and requires climbing some steps to get to the rooms. Ours, almost at the top, needed 72 steps but they are shallow to maybe about 60 normal ones. This could be a problem for some people. I am 68 and in reasonable shape and it was no problem.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bomani
Reviewed 19 December 2010

My husband and I made a last minute, quick trip to Z/H for business. We discovered Casa Don Francisco & sure glad we did! The location was perfect, room very nice & grounds amazing & the service even better. Just wished we couldn't have stayed longer. Thank you Erica & staff.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 October 2010

The staff is so kind and helpful you feel like they truly care about you and your stay. Erica, the owner is very protective of her guests you can tell she knows everyone so she keeps the bad guys out and gives you real advice.
Someone stays up until the last guest returns at night so we have an extra pair of eyes making sure we stay safe. Great place, and great people. We're leaving today and I'll be back as soon as I can afford another vacation.

• Stayed: October 2010