“Special Place- Even During the Rainy Season!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Embarc Zihuatanejo

Embarc Zihuatanejo
Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Portland, Oregon
“Special Place- Even During the Rainy Season!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

So what sets Club Intrawest apart. It is the only resort in the Playa La Ropa section of Zihuatanejo that has spectacular views resulting from their hillside terraced structure and direct beach access. We are members of Club Intrawest and this was our first visit to this location.

We were there from September 19th-25th 2011, the tail end of the rainy season. There have been a couple of comments on bugs and mosquitoes- there were some but this is the tropics and in the rainy moisture rich time of the year it's to be expected. Nothing out of the ordinary. We've traveled throughout Central America and Asia at various times during the summer / rainy season months so that is our point of reference.

Our room was fantastic- you opened the doors and what a view of the Bay!
Special note on the hospitality of the entire staff- restaurant, pool/beach area, maid- all were very welcoming and excellent attention to detail. The room was beautifully cared for- there were some torrential rains due to a passing hurricane (made for great evening light shows) when we returned to our room the clothes we'd left on the terrace were all taken in under shelter. Very much appreciated.

Exchange rate- I had read some of the reviews so was skittish and did make a special trip into town to use an ATM- Well frankly a mistake in our case- depending on what amount you exchange you incur an ATM service fee that you need to comprehend and factor in. At the Club the exchange was 11 to 1 which when you compare with ATM with fees was comparable.

We used the meal plan for some of our meals (breakfasts and several dinners). We found it easy and intuitive. Note on the prices- for the quality the Zi restaurant was very reasonable and the prices compared favorably with several other places we ate at in the La Ropa area. The food was spectacular very innovative cuisine- we're foodies and were impressed. Try Mexican red wines.
Very enjoyable and relaxing. Will come again even in the rainy season! In fact there are things about the rainy season that are appealing- less crowds!

Room Tip: Rooms are spec'd by points or membership level- we'd recommend going for one with an ocean v...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Irvine, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

First I will say that most of the staff were wonderful!!

I can completely validate the other user whose post was titled "bugs, bugs, and more bugs! We were there at the same time and had very similar experiences. I noticed the management reply was interesting. I don't think the management is understanding that it is the fault of the hotel when people experience things like this and we are saying these things so that you can work on them. I don't care what you have been doing it is not working. We used 30% Deet which we brought from home. Sprays, plug in's the works! The mosquitos won. More about that below.

Below are our thoughts:
We had a two bedroom with a fabulous view (which I had to request-the hotel was basically empty and they were going to put us in a non-view room and said the Hilton Grand
Vacation told them to do that - beware HGV owners..check where your room is), dipping pool, outside shower. The kitchen is tiny! Patio is huge and views are amazing. We liked second bedroom which was actually it's own wing, but the other bedrooms are kind of like the living room. Loved having 3 bathrooms. The sound of the waves crashing at night was heaven! The condition of the room was wonderful, but the closet smelled like an old sea chest. I get that it is moist there etc, but I really didn't want to put my things in it.

The prices were a little high at the restuarant and there was only the one place to eat! Since we were trapped by Hurricane Hilary we had to keep eating at the restuarant. The whole meal ticket thing was confusing and made things more complicated than it needed to be. Should just be one price period.

The exchange rate given at the hotel was not very good. 11% at the hotel and 14.5% at the bank. This made us have to go into town and go to the bank. Other hotels I have stayed at give the going rate for the day. The information is available, no reason to not do it. When you have a large bill over 10,000 pesos this makes a big difference of over $300.00 US which is a lot to me.

Mosquitos were a major problem. Closing the doors is a joke. The very large gaps between our front door and the door frame and floor. The sliders also have huge gaps between the floor and door. I think the sand bags that line the doors may have bugs in them too! It is difficult to go to the restuarant at dinner time and get eaten alive by mosquitos while you are eating. The same problem exists at breakfast. I would suggest an interior location or sliding screens or something for the off season. Had I known it would be this bad we would not have come.

The large pool was closed, the swim up bar closed and the poolside restuarant was non-existant when we first checked in, but was open the last 2 days. Enough people complained and they finally opened the large pool. After speaking to many quests, I can't believe it apparently took over 2 weeks to thatch the roof of the swim up bar! It still wasn't finished when we left! Living in California and seeing this type of construction before, we have never seen one take more than 3 days to complete. Just not exceptable.

The price of taxi's should be one price. It makes the hotel look bad that the cost of the cab is so much more from the hotel. I understand you say it is the taxi's and an insurance thing, but I bet you can work something out to charge the same. It costs less from town to the hotel does that mean it's only covered by insurance leaving the hotel but not going to the hotel! Doesn't make sense. It makes the hotel look bad!

Maid did not change our sheets or replenish our towels, even after we asked her too! This did not happen until after 5 days and we complained twice! Maid never replenished our sugar and coffee goods ever! We got them from the restuarant and did it ourselves.

We did have a great experience fishing and snorkling with Moses - others on Trip Advisers had good reviews about Moses so we decided to book with him. Great day, great price, caught a Mahi Mahi and went to a beachside restuarant on Las Gatos and cooked it up right there. It was delicious and the snorkeling was amazing, lots of interesting artifacts and beautiful fish to see. Moses was very entertaining. Someone at our hotel paid twice as much and did not get to keep the large fish he caught. The hotel tried to help him get the fish but they could not. Be sure to ask before you fish if you want to keep it. We like to think the fish went to the homeless shelter.

All in all, if we didn't have a hurricane and mosquitos it would have been a much better experience, glad we tried it but we will not be returning.

Room Tip: Call a week before to find out where your room is. There are no view rooms! So beautiful there tha...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Joanne U
Pablo_Contreras_R, General Manager at Embarc Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, 1 October 2011
Dear Joanne U,

Thank you for taking the time your very first review on TA and to let us know about your experience in Zihuatanejo and at Club Intrawest.

At Club Intrawest - Zihuatanejo we continue doing everything possible to keep mosquitos away, they are not an exclusive problem to our property, it is a problem in the area as we are located in a tropical environment, where mosquitoes are common in the rainy season, as you experienced. I invite you to look at other reviews of different hotels in the area to see what I mean. I believe it is human nature to blame others for what happens to us.

You always will get a Vacation Home equivalent to the corresponding amount of Points that you deposit. In your case we had a few Vacation Homes that corresponded to a fair exchange and that is what was offered to you. Due to the design of our property, not all Vacation Homes are the same or have the same view, even if they are within the same type.

Based on your comments, I notice you are an experienced traveler. It is with great interest to see your comment regarding the exchange rate. In my 20+ years in the industry, and traveling practically all over the World, I still have not seen the same exchange rate at a hotel's front desk to be the same of the bank across the street. Hotels offer the service of exchanging money as a convenience for its guests, as we are not a bank. Hotels must take the money to banks at their buying rate. Banks and ATMs are located all over town in Zihuatanejo, and you can check the different exchange rates they have so you could take the one that is more convenient for you. By the way, the exchange rate is not based on percentages, it is expressed in Mexican Pesos per Foreign Currency, and this can change up to 10 times in one day at the banks, so if you happen to see a great sell rate of 12.3 Pesos per your currency in the morning, do not expect to be the same in two hours. It is simply due to our bank system, that allows free currency fluctuation according to offer and demand in the markets.

Thank you very much about your kind comments about our most wonderful asset, our Team Members, who will happy to see you again.

Respectfully,

Fairfield, California, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

My husband and I traveled to Club Intrawest Zihuatanejo for our honeymoon Sept. 5-9, 2011. I will admit that I read many reviews on here regarding this property and I was slightly worried before our arrival. Being Hilton Grand Vacation Club Owners I was worried that we would not be treated the same as Club Intrawest members and I happy to say that we were treated fabulously by the staff. When we arrived we were greeted by cold water bottles and wet towels, which after our long flight was perfect. We were informed that we were to recieved a partial ocean view one bedroom villa, but after stating that this was our honeymoon the manager on his own informed us that we were being upgraded free of charge to a full ocean view one bedroom villa. We were beyond excited and grateful. The villa was very clean and beautiful. The ocean view was spectacular and the private dipping pool was lovely. As this was the rainy season the hotel was being renovated and there was construction going on next door to our villa. The noise was minimal and we honestly had no issues with this or any complaints regarding this. The Zi Restaurant is fabulous and I would definitely recommend the meal plan while you stay. We stayed at the resort for our entire stay and never once got bored with the food. The Surf Club was were we spent the majority of our afternoons and Pedro and Armando were amazing bartenders. Very friendly. Armando booked us a romatic private 5 course dinner, which was spectacular and we highly recommend guest take advantage of this extra. We visited the spa and Laura the therapist was amazing. One day we did the hot stone and the second day we did the special massage, both we highly recommend. It did rain just about everyday, but my husband and I enjoyed this aspect of our trip. The hotel only had about 18 other guests staying so it was very peaceful and quite, which we loved. I also enjoyed the pottery painting on the beach with Seabatiania (sp) what a fabulous idea. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and are planning a return trip around the same time next year. We hope to see the same employees as they truly helped make our honeymoon a vacation we will not soon forget. One tip I will give is to bring bug spray and cortizone or benadrly cream. The mosoquitoes are off the hook.

1 Thank nicole817
Pablo_Contreras_R, General Manager at Embarc Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
Dear nicole817,

First of all congratulations on your wedding! We wish you many years of happy and safe trips with your husband, and we certainly thank you for choosing us for your honeymoon.

Thanks to your kind and remarkable comments towards those Team Members who were lucky to serve you in various occasions, they will be receiving special recognition at our general Team meeting next Wednesday. Knowing them, I am sure they will be extremely grateful to you.

As I had mentioned previously, mosquitoes are common at this time of the year, and some of them are able to find their way around our strict insect control. I strongly recommend visitors to bring repellent suitable for their skin type, especially if you visit us from May to October.

On behalf of the entire Team at Club Intrawest - Zihuatanejo, I look forward to seeing you again soon. Hopefully you will choose us to celebrate your upcoming anniversaries and much more!

San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

Let me first start by saying that I have never written a review before. I hate to complain or slam a company because I work with the public everyday and understand how hard it is to make everyone happy. After our experience at Club Intrawest I felt I owed it to everyone. I will start with the good stuff. The location and ambience is world class. You can't pick a better location to visit Zihua. It is close to La Playa la ropa and is a easy walk that only takes 5 minutes or so. Downtown is also only a short walk taking anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes. I would highly recommend walking to the top of the hill and catching a cab if you decide that taxis are your preferred method of travel. At the resort they obviously have a deal with the cab drivers for their "more special" cabs which are the same cabs that pick you up at the top of the hill but they cost 3 times as much. We figured they were in business with the local cab drivers and got a cut. At the resort lobby it costs 100 pesos to go to the other side of downtown, if you walk 40 yards to the gates of the resort a cab costs 30 pesos. You tell me which you would rather pay.
Don't get me wrong, the staff is very nice and very pleasant. Although if you need to speak to a manager good luck. They don't come out from the back to talk to you. We were told that transportation from the airport would cost us $34 for 4 of us. Although at the airport they told us we should use a suburban because it would be "more comfortable" and told us it did not cost more. After reviewing our bill we saw that we were charged $70!! And no one would give a good reason why. I just received a ,"I'm sorry there's nothing we can do" from the lobby. This kind of service and fluctuating prices from guest to guest made us feel like we were being taken advantage of by the hotel staff. And it's hard to enjoy a beautiful resort when you feel taken advantage of.
We originally planned on staying at Club Intrawest for 2 weeks. Now let me tell you about the reason we actually left a week early. Bugs. I completely understand that we are in the tropics. I know that there are a lot of bugs down there. And although the mosquitos absolutely drove us nuts! I can forgive this. Which let me tell you, we had a plug in mosquito repellant, and 2 Raid incense mosquito repellants (the kind you use when camping) burning at all times. Despite our efforts we still got bite over 100 times each. And we religiously used 3 kinds of repellant sprays. As bad as that was that wasn't the worst part. We kept getting bites and welts all over our body and thought it was spiders or mosquitos. But after we got home and my wife went to her doctor (mainly because she had a worse reaction than I did) we were disgusted to find that our bites were constant with bed bug bites. Which are prevalent in mexico. So check your mattress if you decide to go. We also had 2 tree frogs and a crab, which I thought was funny, but my wife didn't share my sense of humor.
All in all we loved to pool and the view. The meals are way over priced and the bars close early during the off season which forces you to go to the main restaurant (which is double the price). The stairs and the steep hills didn't bother us. It burned off some of the beers we drank. Just be advised, just because this resort is beautiful on the outside does not mean that it's beautiful on the inside.

Dear Mattnkatie,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an extensive review. As Manager of this beautiful award-winning location, it is with great interest that I read through your comments. Your statements are taken very seriously and we consider and appreciate them, while I also strongly believe that you and the travel community deserve to know straight and true facts.

At Club Intrawest we are aware of the situation that bed bugs represent in the hotel and travel industry. I would like to add to your statement that these insects are not prevalent in Mexico, but in the World, as they could make their way in travelers luggage and clothing. In our specific case, our Vacation Home Quality Team have been trained to identify the presence of these insects, while we constantly conduct dedicated visual inspections in Vacation Homes to immediately act in case we find anything that indicates their presence. After reading your review for the first time last Thursday, we immediately proceed to revise and inspect the Vacation Home you occupied and those around it in much further detail; after a dedicated check we found no insects other than a few dead mosquitoes and some ants.

Travelers must know that just like most hotels and resorts in the World, we adhere to a strict insect fumigation program, which includes spraying and fogging twice a week with non-toxic EPA approved products, while we also wash all linens and towels with hot water above 55C (131F). That being said, we do not stand still against any kind of insect infestation, and we actively work towards providing a pest free environment for our Members and guests. Still, it is absolutely true that some insects like flies and mosquitoes keep coming and going, and are extremely difficult to eradicate, especially during the rainy season (May to October), therefore our reminder to use repellent that is suitable for your skin type and our invitation to keep your Vacation Home doors closed to keep flying insects away.

As per your taxi statement. I do sincerely apologize for giving you a mistaken perception. In your review you forgot to mention the fact that you were traveling with another couple and that you had more luggage than what a taxi can carry. Taxis from the airport to Zihuatanejo carry a maximum of four guests with one piece of luggage each. Like in your specific case, when your party has more pieces of luggage than those that can fit in a regular car, you have to be transported in a Suburban, which always comes with an additional expense, like any other place in the World when you have a larger car. Our representative at the airport is very well aware of this situation and always informs our Members and guests accordingly prior to boarding the taxi. In fact you signed a voucher with the price of the Suburban on it prior to boarding.

Your perception about our Team Members conducting business with taxi drivers to charge you more is highly respected, and I understand it might be perceived as such when you have not been informed of actual facts. Taxi rates are set by taxi associations and are available for you to see at Member Reception. These rates are set for the convenience and comfort of picking you up at the lobby of any hotel. The taxi associations are the ones that set higher prices for this service. As you very well said, you can simply walk out of the gate and catch a taxi, which most likely will not carry traveler's insurance or will not give you any type of guarantee. We have had many incidents of Members forgetting valuables in the taxi (cameras are the most common article left behind), and we have a 100% return rate of forgotten articles that are given back to their owners when the taxi is taken from the lobby, as the associations have strict control of their units and their whereabouts, while those guests who had forgotten articles in a street cab have not been fortunate enough. In the eyes of most travelers, saving 2 or 3 Dollars, might end up costing them a lot more. The choice is still there for you to make.

For the convenience of our Members and guests, The Surf Club in the pool area serves food until 5pm; Zi Restaurant opens at this time, and the prices are in line, not double.

Lastly, on behalf of the Team at Club Intrawest - Zihuatanejo, I would like to extend our gratitude for your kind words and positive comments towards our most valuable asset, our Team Members. They certainly are the ones that make everything possible on a daily basis to ensure our Club Location looks even more beautiful from the inside out.

All of us at Club Intrawest – Zihuatanejo appreciate your comments and feedback. We will continue to take all appropriate measures to keep unwanted insects in our property, and to maintain the high level of hygiene, integrity and service that we are known for.

Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

I am not a member of this club but we had points to use so got a last minute deal. It was excellent perfect room we ended up getting a studio open air, little kitchen all the works, outdoor shower - just as the pictures show. Built on side of a hill so not for people with knee/leg problems when walking or in a wheelchair. The staff were very helpful serving cocktails poolside and dinner at night. I would not recommend buying too many points for meals as you can easily wander into town along the prom path and get really good food and experience the local scene.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MossieFish
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

Obviously a timeshare resort, but had some really nice perks to it- first if all, no annoying timeshare reps!(: I think it's b/c of it being off season. La ropa beach is wonderful in front, pools are small, food is sooo pricey and not worth at all. Do not go for the credits scheme! Eat from outside. Buy groceries from comercial mexicana and municipal market. Kitchenette is small, good size for making breakfast. Stayed in a 1 bed 2 bath with plunge pool pretty nice but too many stairs around the resort! I do not recommend for elderly people. Overall decent place for an rci exchange, nice staff too especially friendly front desk receptionist Jorge.(:

• Stayed August 2011
Pablo_Contreras_R, General Manager at Embarc Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, 28 August 2011
Dear alymj,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our beautiful beachfront property. I am sorry to prove your thought wrong, but regardless of the occupancy or season, we do not have annoying timeshare reps at any time. We operate different to where you own or have been to.

I have found that the perception of food prices is always relative - if you are traveling on a tight budget, and you are the kind of person who prefer cooking while on vacation, then I guess you are right.

Thank you for your kind comments about our wonderful Team Members. Jorge at Member Reception will be certainly commended.

We look forward to welcoming you back again at Club Intrawest - Zihuatanejo.

Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

We had a wonderful time on our honeymoon at Zihuatanejo. The staff are as lovely as can be, and the grounds were beautiful. We stayed in a studio with a partial ocean view, and it was still great. Wonderful kitchen, living area, and lots of room to lounge on the patio.

We fully suggest taking advantage of the 'massage on the beach', kayaking, and surrounding restaurants. Each were highlights for us. We loved every minute and were thankful for such safe, comfortable, clean, and beautiful grounds to stay on.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple