“Paradise found in Zihuatanejo”
Review of Amuleto

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Zihuatanejo
Amuleto
Ranked #6 of 78 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed 7 January 2013

My girlfriend and I took a road trip up the West Coast of Mexico with our first stop Zihuatanejo. We couldn't have wished for a nicer place to begin our stay than Amuleto. It is the epitome of luxury. We stayed in both the Main Suite 1 and the Palapa Suite, extending our stay by an extra day as we were so reluctant to leave. Where to start?... the magnificent views, amazing architecture and decor, exquisite tasting menus, attentive service, cosy family feel... so many wonderful touches. It was fantastic value. We are finding every excuse to return again asap.

Room Tip: Main Suite 1 and Palapa Suite were both fantastic. But I doubt you could go wrong with any of the s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank S R

Reviewed 3 January 2013

I have been going to Zihuatenejo every year for Christmas for over 20 years but this was my first at Amuleto. It truly exceded my finace and my expectations! The owners (Neglia and Ricardo) are so personal, they will take care of you when you are there and make sure that you have a wonderful time. The rooms/views are incredible, every detail is taken care of, for example they welcome you with margaritas and guacamole when you arrive!

We were there for New Years Eve and had the 6 course tasting menu designed the Cordon Blue trained Neglia, including lobster, duck and scallop sashimi. The food is better than most restaurants in LA or NYC! We had champagne as we watched the fireworks down on the beach and enjoyed the comfort of the Palapa room from the private rooftop terrace. I highly recommend Amuleto for a couple that enjoys the finer things in life

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We had read the rave reviews on Trip Advisor but our experience at Amuleto truly exceeded our expectations. The hotel only has 6 rooms and the combination of the beautiful architecture, design, landscaping, stunning view of the bay and the small scale of the resort made for a very special and intimate experience. Attention has been paid to every detail. The service was impeccable! the staff seemed to anticipate and take care of our every need quietly, professionally and politely.We ate at the restaurant almost every night. The food was fabulous. Creative and fresh. While we were there one of the owners was on site and was delightful. The feeling you have is that of staying in a beautiful private house on the bay with staff. You never want to leave. It was one of the most perfect and restful holidays we have ever had.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2012

This was my 4th visit to Amuleto, a place I love and consider my favorite hotel in the world. What I appreciate is the fact that it continues to be fantastic, even though the hotel has existed for many years now. I value this quite a lot, as it is not easy to have & maintain a professional staff that is attentive and not intrusive, rooms that are charming and make you feel at home, an architecture that pleases the eye, privacy - in every sense, service, quality things and fantastic food! What a combination!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 December 2012

This was our first trip to Amuleto and we felt like being in paradise! Everything was perfect - the room, the architecture, the exquisite design, the landscaping, the attentive staff, the service, and the absolutely amazing food! Our room was totally private with its own swimming pool and lounging area overlooking the bay. You feel you are on the top of the world. The restaurant is Cordon Bleu cuisine - a truly unique experience! You can also have your meals in the privacy of your room, if you want. It is like being home and being cared for by a fantastic staff in a luxurious environment. A romantic dream! Total bliss!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2012

First, let me start by stating that I put my trust in the Trip Advisor reviews written by others regarding Amuleto as the basis for choosing our recent vacation, and last week we spent 5 memorable days appreciating that decision. I feel confident in stating that most seeking a similar experience to ours may also trust that regrets will not be had with this truly exceptional boutique hotel. That is to say, if you are looking for first class service in unique architecturally designed surroundings, amidst a beautiful scenic backdrop, coupled with a desire for peace, intimacy and relaxation, then Amuleto should be the benchmark for your search in Mexico. We jokingly described Amuleto as the Swiss Family Robinson compound meets the Four Seasons: Five Star in approach to quality and service, intimate in size and scale, all set in an oasis of a hillside compound wrapped artistically in natural and quaint architectural design. This was our first visit to Zihuatanejo. It fit our location criteria for this trip: It lacks the commercialization of the larger coastal resort towns. We have been to most other popular Mexico locations and Zihua is a bit more subdued - almost sleepy in comparison. Though we left the Amuleto grounds only twice - once on a Saturday afternoon (a short taxi ride downtown and to the pier and a few hours touring the shops and the beachside cafes) and the other time ventured out to find a beach to spend the day, in both cases once we arrived at our destinations, we found ourselves in a hurry to return to Amuleto. The beauty of Zihua really is in the view of town and the surrounding bay as opposed to being amidst it and there is no better view than from Amuleto. I use the term “oasis” to describe Amuleto because everywhere outside of the hotel you are a tourist, at Amuleto you are a guest. Actually, you feel more like a guest in a private villa than a hotel: tips are politely refused during your stay in lieu of a gratuity given with your final bill… A request that I tried on more than one occasion to ignore, only to find my left -behind gratuities tallied as a credit on my closing bill if so desired… WOW! This to me was a testimonial to the professionalism and commitment by the staff to deliver on the experience that the owner (Ricardo) has obviously so carefully crafted for his guests. The entire staff is always at the ready, but never seen unless needed. In charge during our stay was Jacobo, a gentleman who’s talents at his profession have set the bar for comparison going forward in my mind: courteous, respectful and always at your service as host. The entire staff was very impressive. Our room was tended to multiple times daily by the housekeeping staff, with a new artistic flower petal decoration on our bedspread awaiting us each night. At poolside, any towel taken from the stack was discreetly replaced within minutes. Margaritas well made and the service from the bar or kitchen throughout the day attentive (and the best guacamole we’ve ever had!). Having done my research ahead of time, there were a few local restaurants we were anxious to try, but after dinner the first night at Amuleto (an exceptional meal in which she had the sea bass and I had the tuna steak, and the absolute best view from the outdoor dining room) we subsequently found ourselves contemplating each afternoon whether to actually venture out and risk an experience less than a known winner or simply trying something new on the Amuleto menu. In the end, due to the allure of “our table” at Amuleto, the quality of each and every previous meal, and the attentiveness to our dining experience by both Juan and the chef, we failed to even try any of the restaurants on our list. Similarly, we were treated to a wonderful breakfast each morning. After day one we decided to simply agree to the “breakfast special” each day and we were not disappointed! Each and every meal was delicious and spot on. Take advantage of the massage services offered. The masseuse will set up in your suite and provide what we agreed was one of the best massages we each have had. We were completely useless poolside for the remainder of the day. Based on reviews, we stayed in the Palapa Suite. It is everything you will read and the photos do not take in the full appeal (the outdoor rain shower was the big hit!), but we had the opportunity to peek in the other suites and truth be told, we would be equally pleased with staying in the Main Suite or Suite number 1 our next visit. Each suite has its own appeal and its own slightly different view – not a bad one in the bunch! Amuleto has been designed with all the details thought out towards its intended clientele…me, and it was our experience that they execute on all the right deliverables. Believe too all the positive comments others have written…This place is exceptional!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jim_and_Bethany
Reviewed 10 September 2012

They thought of everything in creating this hotel. In the seven nights we stayed here, we left the hotel only once. That’s how perfect it is.
Here are some perks we discovered upon arrival:
• Our room had a mini-fridge stocked full of free waters and cokes.
• The gym has dumbbells and treadmills.
• Our room was serviced twice a day, and after breakfast, there were fresh towels on our lounge chairs
• The bed was the most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept on
• They have books you can borrow, and a Scrabble game if you want to play in the open air bar area.
• Our lounge chairs were perfectly positioned in the sun, and our hammock was in the shade. Nice, because if my husband wanted to step out of the sun, we were still right next to each other.
Food – wonderful. I do not eat dairy, and they were very accommodating. The breakfasts were the best I’ve ever eaten. Shrimp tacos for lunch were amazing.
Service – impeccable. Jacobo, Juan and Fransisco were so kind and helped us with anything we asked.
We are already saving up to return next year.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple