“Total Disappointment”
Review of Casa Kau-Kan

Casa Kau-Kan
Ranked #53 of 79 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed 4 December 2006

After reading all the fabulous reviews of Casa Kau-Kan, I was quite confident that my husband and I would enjoy spending our honeymoon there. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

We arrived at the hotel on a Wednesday afternoon, and were greeted by Pedro who is the waiter/concierge for the hotel. He was probably the only positive aspect of the whole experience, really. We had a welcome drink, and went to our room for an afternoon siesta. Unfortunately, as soon as we got in our room, the noise began. And I mean NOISE - as in power saws and jackhammers right next door in the suite behind us. This was not a good start, and unfortunately it never got much better. We asked if the noise would be continuing, and were told that it would only go on for a short time as they were doing some work in the suite next door. Well, it continued for several hours. A siesta was not going to happen.

We went to our balcony instead. We had really looked forward to having our own personal plunge pool, but the harsh reality was that it is basically a mosquito/bug breeding ground and looked like it had never been skimmed. Again, not a great start. Now to be fair, they did eventually skim the pool to get rid of the bugs, on our 4th day there. Needless to say, we never ventured into our pool. The other weird (not to mention dangerous) thing is that our 2nd floor balcony had no railing. You could literally walk (or fall) right off the balcony!

Our first morning, we were looking forward to breakfast and decided to have it in our room on the balcony. When I asked for decaf coffee, I was told they didn't have it and I got hot tea instead. They never got decaf, even after staying there 6 days I was still served hot tea. I know that people call this place a "first class" hotel, but all the great hotels I've stayed at in Mexico would have gone immediately to get some decaf if they didn't have it. Anyway, breakfast ended up being "continental" style. Okay, but not exactly great. If you actually want hot breakfast, be prepared to pay $7 for scrambled eggs.

Which brings me to the food/restaurant situation at Casa Kau-Kan. The place has 8 rooms, but only 4 tables in the restaurant area. As the hotel started to fill up, they brought out a plastic folding table to accommodate. Classy. Basically all the food is overpriced. Lunch for 2 came out to about $36 for guacamole, fish tacos, and ceviche. Ridiculous, and not that special.

On day 2 of our visit, there was more noise and more construction going on. There were wheelbarrows at the bottom of our stairs, which we nearly tripped over a couple of times. The grounds keepers at Casa Kau Kan could use a little...discretion. I don't really want to look at the gardener and his backwards baseball cap and baggy shorts and tank top while I'm eating breakfast or lounging by the pool. First class hotels make sure their employees are invisible, especially when they are doing big projects like planting palm trees by the restaurant. Seriously. Furthermore, much of the hotel looks like it is falling apart. The rails that separate the beach from the hotel grounds are broken, and I doubt they will ever be fixed. The stairwells are not lit at night, and the actual stairs themselves are very small and dangerous. There were 2 beer bottles left on the rails by the beach when we arrived, and they remained there for days until someone FINALLY picked them up.

By the afternoon of day 2, I was ready to check out and go back to the hotel we came from. So I called the agent who handled our reservations, only to be told that I would forfeit all the money that we had paid in advance. I can understand that if you no-show, you lose your cash, but we had problems from the get go, and were unhappy with the hotel. Too bad, basically. So we decided to tough it out, and stick around and hope for the best.

To add insult to injury, the one thing that really upset us was that Ricardo, the owner, whom we never met once, apparently told the waiter and all the guests there that we weren't happy and we were leaving. In fact, they even offered to upgrade a couple of guests to our honeymoon suite as soon as we left. From then on we were treated like the couple about to get voted off the island, and as this is a very small hotel, EVERYONE knew what was going on. My husband and I never would have squealed to other guests about our bad experiences. (Un)luckily for us, the owner did that for us. So now our entire honeymoon was pretty much spoiled. When Ricardo did finally show his face at the hotel, he gave us his back the entire time, and basically acted as if we weren't even there. Instead of coming up to us and apologizing for the noise, the mess, the general "unkempt" environment of the place, he chose to act as if our complaints were a personal insult to him. How unprofessional.

In all, we were EXTREMELY disappointed with Casa Kau-Kan. We will never be back, and frankly, we recommend you stay somewhere else.

Stayed: November 2006
19  Thank Austin_PolitiGal

Reviewed 4 December 2006

For the third time in a year, we recently spent another two plus weeks at this unique boutique hotel located on Playa Larga, just south of Zihuatanejo, Mexico. Casa Kau-Kan continues to offer the best of service with it's staff managed by Pedro and his staff. The owner, Ricardo Rodriguez also operates the beautiful Kau-Kan restaurant in Zihuatanejo and coordinates the two facilities with a masterful hand offering gourmet food at both the hotel and restaurant.
Casa Kau-Kan is located steps away from the 9 mile beach named Playa Larga and offers peace and tranquility to the most experienced traveller. While there, we were fortunate enough to observe a beautiful wedding held on the beach with guests from as far away as Europe.
Without a doubt this fabulous property will continue to be one of our favorite vacation spots. Highly recommended for a peaceful, tranquil, and relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Ducshooter
Reviewed 8 October 2006

My wife and I just returned from a week at Casa Kau-Kan. I have one word for our trip: R-E-L-A-X-I-N-G and two words for Casa Kau-Kan: F-I-R-S-T C-L-A-S-S!!! From the moment we set foot on the property (without luggage thanks to American Airlines) we were treated like royalty. Pedro took care of us with amazing meals (I'll never eat another fish taco in the U.S.), had a taxi there for us anytime we needed one, set up a horse ride on the beach and eventually helped us get our luggage. The people of Zihuatanejo were always friendly, and we felt safe everywhere we went. It was absolutely an amazing trip, and we're so thankful we decided on Zihua instead of Ixtapa. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank CC_In_Tennessee
Reviewed 28 August 2006

O.K. I will get into heaven for sure for the good deed of spilling the beans about this place. A true find. Ricardo Rodriguez, owner, deserves all the success he can get. So much personal thought has gone into each room -- and everything. Charming, comfortable, and the food is lovely. The staff is sweet. As I said: a real find. The only caviat is the insect issue. Bring DEET, or any industrial-strength insect repellent. The trick is to put it on late afternoon (with a touch-up mid-evening if you're out) and mornings. Religiously. Then your entire experience there will be as supurb as it has the capacity of being. I'm sure there's a drier season that would not be as problematic.
It's a bit hard to find since the signs disappear at a crucial juncture. I was lucky to run across someone who had me follow him in his truck. If the rutted road gets you, you haven't seen much of Mexico.
Anyway, I've done my good travel citizen bit with this review.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled solo
2  Thank Sono3120
Reviewed 28 May 2006

We stayed there for 4 days by mid-may and were delighted.
By the place - so quiet and so zen.
By the new (french) manager, Matthias, charming and always looking after our total confort.
By Tonio whith whom we loved to chat.
By the view on the ocean and the high waves crushing on the beach.
By the room - the honeymoon suite - which is the loveliest room we have ever had during our love trips in Mexico - all open from the balcony to the shower - and which gives you a real sensation of freedom and total privacy.

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank Loquita
A TripAdvisor Member
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 23 May 2006

From the moment we arrived the service was awesome. Antonio was there to greet us with a cold beer. All the staff at Casa Kau Kan were wonderful. The views are just so beautiful. If you are looking for a quiet place away from rhe crowds--this is the place. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: April 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 January 2006

This is a small, secluded place (8 rooms) with a gorgeous pool, right on La Playa beach. The food is WAY above average, and the service is top notch. Antonio, the manager, is fantastic. Knowledgeable, friendly, really knows the area, and is English is perfect.

It's about a $10 cab ride to town, but I loved being outside of town - no noise, no beach vendors, virtually no people. Love this place!

• Stayed: December 2005