“2 weeks in a private paradise”

Bungalows La Madera
Ranked #3 of 59 Zihuatanejo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 January 2008

We rented three units from Mark and his family for Christmas and New Years 2008. Mark was a stand out when scouting something different than the Hotels on La Madera Beach, love that beach.. The best vibes were from Mark. His command of Spanish and English is a great asset. We handled our reservations via the Internet and then paid over time with PayPal. If you have never been to Mexico you have to think manana or tomorrow. Mark may not get back to you in what you consider to be “prompt”.
We arrived late, after dark, and were met by Mark in bare feet as usual. He helped us carry our bags to our rooms and gave us a quick tour. We dropped our bags and scrambled down the hill for dinner at Rufos (with the dogs) with our local friend Carlos, owner of Platinum. Make sure you visit his silver shop on the beach downtown. We all believe each of us had the best room at the Bungalows. In general I would say if you are looking for a down home experience and don’t need heavy maintenance you will enjoy this property. If garden snakes, iguanas, fruit bats, regular bats, cutter ants, humming birds, chickens, roosters crowing, and other crawlies bother you head for the concrete of Ixtapa. The dead tree at the bottom of the property fills with birds, I saw seven different birds at one time. Personally I enjoyed the pool the most, with so few people staying at this property you feel like it is your personal pool. The only down side of this and any property in this area is the hill. You have to walk up or down either way you look at it. A cab is always an option, but unless you are in really bad shape it’s not an issue. This property has an upper and lower entrance with key pad access. You can walk back from town along the concrete beach path or hoof it on the cobblestone road by the canal. Would I stay here again, in a minute.

Stayed: December 2007
3  Thank pmauto

Reviewed 7 January 2008

Bungalows La Madera is just the best! Our room was perfect, the king sized bed was very comfortable (many beds at other much more expensive properties are cheap mattresses on cement slab and very hard, but this bed was great!) The view and infinity pool overlooking La Madera Beach and Zihuatanejo Bay was stunning . The owner, Mark, is so nice and helpful (and also speaks perfect English.) We were there for business and really appreciated having free wifi. It is walking distance to town along the beach boardwalk or on the road, so a car is convenient but not necessary. The rates are so reasonable for what you get - this is the best value for the money we found in several weeks in Zihuatanejo. I can only say wonderful things about Bungalows La Madera!! Would definnitely go back and definitely recommend it to friends for any type of trip.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank dcilliers
Reviewed 27 December 2007

I cannot say enough about Mark's place, Bungalows La Madera. We had a great time! It is affordable, convenient to el centro and beaches, very clean and comfortable, and you'll meet plenty of friendly locals and tourists alike. It seems everyone in this neighborhood is very laid back, which is something I definitely look for in a vacation. The more relaxed I can be, the better! (A little side advice I got from a fellow guest, and applies to any vacation, get a massage when you first arrive to your destination and it will be much easier to relax! I'm definitely trying that my next vacation.)
You will definitely find your home away from home at Bungalows La Madera. It is just a short stair walk (I'm talking really short AND beautiful) down to La Madera Beach. When you get to the bottom of the stairs you can either take a right onto the Fisherman's Walk to the center of town or take a left and chill at MJ&Ritchies. Going the other direction, streetside, there are little stores, nice restaurants, coffee shop, laundromat. You can also walk to town via streetside. It's very close.
You can relax in the pool or just hang out on the deck and take in the fabulous view. We stayed in the Coconut Room for 5 nights and were very satisfied. Great view, relaxing hammock and sofa on the deck, dining table, 2 beds, maid service, very clean bathroom with large shower - never out of hot water, and full kitchen with all you need if you just want to cook at home. I highly recommend this place! Mark is very friendly and helpful, and so is everyone we encountered in the town of Zihua. Overall it was a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BallardNAILS
Reviewed 20 November 2007

I found Bungalows La Madera online through the Zihuatanejo.net site and I feel so lucky for it.

I should clarify for other travelers reading this review, I am not an all-inclusive-big-fancy-hotel-keep-away-from-the-locals kind of traveler. I enjoy staying in places that feel more like I am an inhabitant of the locale and not just a tourist.

I stayed for 9 nights and in two of the different units offered. Each of the units have kitchens and since they are located within 5 minutes of downtown Zihua, it's easy to walk to town and buy groceries at the Central Mercado. I would recommend Madera Beach over La Ropa Beach simply because Madera is closer to town and less isolated, so all the restaurants, bars, stores, banks, etc. are within walking distance.

Mark, who runs Bungalows La Madera, is a fantastic host and extremely friendly, gracious and helpful. The units are well-maintained and very clean and they are located right above the beach. It took me exactly 45 seconds to walk from my door to the shore to take a daily swim in the warm sea water.

There is maid service, wireless internet access, satellite TV, AC, a pool, but I found myself lounging in a hammock reading most of the time.

If you don't have too much luggage, don't pay $28 for a cab from the airport, take a public bus (looks more like a van) that you catch at the main road by the airport and it's only 7 pesos (roughly 70 cents) to downtown Zihua and then you can get a cab from there for a few dollars.

And the best part, Bungalow La Madera prices are better than most of his competitors nearby. I will be returning to this lovely place!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo
4  Thank LMB33
Reviewed 24 July 2007

My wife and I stayed at Bugalows La Madera for ten days during our honeymoon. We had a fantastic time. The view overlooking the bay was beautiful and the room was perfect for us. Mark, the owner, provided a laid back atmosphere, but was amazingly helpful at the same time. We loved it!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Hurlach
Reviewed 22 July 2007

Absolutely wonderful, like having your own private villa.
Beautiful view of the bay and mountains, walking distance to everything, refreshing swimming pool, beautiful grounds, the rooms are very clean and comfy and Marc and his family are great hosts .
My husband and I spent one week last year and looking forward to one month this coming winter.Just can't wait.
Ray and Louise (Vernon, B.C.)

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BcWeezie
Reviewed 17 July 2007

Our party of four fishermen stayed at Bungalows La Madera in June, 2007. We had the Coconut and Girasol rooms.

Great views from the rooms and from around the pool, good location just above the beach and very comfortable accomodations. Rooms are spacious and clean, and Mark the owner was very helpful with everything we needed.

There are a couple very small tiendas nearby for basics (beer, tequila, chips, soda, etc). However, the walk into downtown is only about 10 minutes for other needs.

Overall, I highly recommend Bungalows La Madera for a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends