“Excellent Value and Expert Owner”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Villa Golondrina

Back of Villa seen from Garden Terrace Suite living area
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Back of Villa seen from Garden
Terrace Suite living area
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
BronxBoy3...
Stanfordville, New York
“Excellent Value and Expert Owner”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 for a stay in June 2014
people found this review helpful

I was at the Villa for two weeks and stayed in two units. They were clean and comfortable.
The pool is a real plus (weather permitting). Pancho the caretaker is always there to help.
Then there is the owner Sr. Jim , he knows all the ins and outs of Cuernavaca and the surrounding area . He was always there to help . Great place....the only downside is some steps which I even managed with my gimpy knee. Great WiFi.

glenn1905
Guadalajara, Mexico
“A lovely spot and great base for exploring Cuernavaca!”
Reviewed 4 February 2014 for a stay in January 2014
person found this review helpful

I spent a week at Villa Golonrinda. It was a great spot to use as a base to visit Cuernavaca and the region. My apartment had everything I needed for meals and to hang out and relax. I like to walk, and was able to visit Centro without using a taxi. Jim Horn, the onsite owner, is a great host and offers advice on travel not only for Cuernavaca but for my other destinations in Mexico. As a travel writer, he wrote a book about Cuernavaca that he gives to guests and you can link to his blog for updates and further information. It was my first time in Cuernavaca and I will return. There is an authenticity to the place that is lacking in places frequented by tourists. My only regret. I need to work on speaking Spanish. I managed fine, but it would be a great asset (and appreciated) to converse more.

Travelling group: Solo Traveller
ochunmima...
Seattle, Washington
“A home away from home”
Reviewed 20 September 2013 for a stay in August 2013
person found this review helpful

If you want a sense of what it's like to live in one of Cuernavaca's nicest residential areas, this is a perfect choice. The studio apartments are very nicely furnished and provided me with everything I needed. Compared to other apartment rentals I've had in the past, I was impressed with how well the kitchen is equipped. I was able to make all my meals from scratch and eat much more healthily and economically than I would have if I'd had to eat all my meals in restaurants. I enjoyed being able to have coffee / meals looking out over the beautiful garden each day. The room has abundant natural light, good ventilation, and it was very clean and comfortable. It's tastefully furnished, with a small sitting area, a desk, a tv with cable connections to lots of channels, plus wireless internet. I'm a writer and found it ideal for work, because although I was often sitting inside at a desk, I felt like I was outdoors. From the large windows in the living room area, I could see lush tropical plants, flowers and trees, humming birds, butterflies, wild parrots... and mountains in the distance. There is a pool (which I seldom used because I am not a pool person, but I did like looking at it, and liked knowing it was there for my use if the mood struck.) The grounds are private and secure, the area is peaceful and quiet, but it's not isolated. The neighborhood is well located, only a block from a main street and the "rutas" (buses) or a $3 cab ride downtown. There are supermarkets, laundry mats, restaurants, banks and other businesses within walking distance (although sometimes it involves a walk up or down a steep street.) The house is located on a "privada" with 24 hour security, which is a plus. Jim in the perfect host, like a good neighbor welcoming you to the neighborhood. He's helpful and friendly, but respects your privacy and independence. Pancho, the apartment manager, is great, always ready to help with a big smile and boundless energy. I enjoyed meeting some very interesting people during my stay there. Villa Golondrina appears to attract loyal guests who return year after year, well-traveled people who prefer a home-like setting to a hotel. It's nice to have other people around, but I was never bothered by noise and never felt my privacy was being invaded because the house is laid out in a way to give everyone their own space. It was a great combination for me, providing a quiet workspace,a relaxing and beautiful setting, and a convenient location.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the setting (beautiful house and garden)
Liked least: no complaints of any kind
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Wendy S
Oaxaca, Mexico
“Very nice, and a great location”
Reviewed 25 June 2013 for a stay in June 2013

It has been perfect for my needs during my stay. Very Pleasant accommodations, and lovely gardens. It was in a very convenient, safe and quiet location which was great.

Florence...
Olympia, Washington
“An oasis in Cuernavaca”
Reviewed 28 May 2013 for a stay in January 2013
people found this review helpful

Just returned from 4 1/2 months of staying in Cuernavaca at Villa Golondrina. The owner Jim was very accommodating and pleasant. He invited my husband and myself out to dine with him on the Saturday nights we were available. Jim has been in Mexico over 25 years and knows the best restaurants in Cuernavaca to dine at. He gives every guest a copy of his guide book as a Thank You for staying with him and its recently updated version has all the latest information on the best places to eat and visit in Mexico.

Because we were arriving near midnight Jim arranged to have a driver come to the Mexico City airport to pick us up ($90 for 2 which at an hour ride and with helping with the luggage was well worth it).

Property manager, Poncho, was available whenever we needed him and always saw to our needs. He cleaned our unit twice a week and replenished our bottled water supply almost before we drained the last bottle.

The pool however has no ladder so getting into or out of it if you have mobility issues could be a problem. The pool is heated.

We had unlimited wireless internet, cable TV, ceiling fans and clean towels every week.

For the unit on the ground floor our cooking area was outdoors (but covered). This took some getting used too but was honestly a blessing after a time since I learned to make my own totopos and other foods which are best if cooked outdoors anyway.

Because the house is located in a locked, gated and patrolled complex we felt completely safe and secure. If you have a car getting to the stores or other amenities is quite easy. If you are walking everywhere expect to walk and hike a distance since Cuernavaca is built on hills. There are lots of buses and taxi's are incredibly cheap.

Added benefits; Pancho is a trained hairdresser and gave both my husband and myself haircuts (for a charge).

Detractions: There are no laundry facilities on site. All laundry is taken to the local laundry mat and you have to pay to have your laundry done or you will have to hand wash all of your things. Unless you are staying as long as we did however this might not be a problem.

Overall an incredibly relaxing and pleasant place to stay while in Cuernavaca.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: How quiet and relaxing the location was overall.
Liked least: No stairs to get into or our of the pool.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Matt4Mont...
Helena
“Great location and facility”
Reviewed 3 January 2012 for a stay in December 2011
person found this review helpful

Wonderful place to stay while visiting Cuernavaca. Jim is an attentive host and makes sure that everything is in order. Conveniently located in a quiet, secure "privada", it is near bus lines and easy to get around. While Cuernavaca doesn't have the colonial charm of other Mexican cities we've visited, there is certainly enough to see and do to keep you occupied for more than a week. Worth the trip.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The flowers, birds, coffee on the veranda, Pancho and his attentiveness to our needs.
Liked least: Kitchen (just two gas burners) was a bit spartan but workable
Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
greg s
vegas
“Absolutely Amazing!”
Reviewed 1 November 2011 for a stay in May 2011
people found this review helpful

I stay in Villa Golondrina every time I visit Cuernavaca, which has been more times than I can count over the years. Jim (owner) is very accommodating, friendly and extremely knowledgable about Cuernavaca and its surroundings. the accommodations are great, I have stayed in both the terrace condo (gorgeous views of the valley and sunset with an outdoor patio, and the garden (my favorite) complete with a covered outdoor kitchen and dining area, one level above the pool.

I can't say enough about staying here, the location is very convenient to shopping and the zocalo. Private and safe! in a gated community complete with guard at entrace, not that you need it. Cuernavaca is very safe overall.

Staying here is a pleasure, and I will continue to do so on all my future visits. You can't go wrong staying here. In a nutshell... convenient, safe, relaxing, and simply gorgeous!!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: location and facilities
Liked least: liked everything!
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing