“Expensive overrated and not well maintained”

Villa Bejar Cuernavaca
Ranked #8 of 59 Hotels in Cuernavaca
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Due to work, I stayed one night in this Hotel Villa Bejar, with my wife.

I was charged a fortune for the room about 172 US.. I had asked on various occasions how much the room was going to be as I was there for work, not for pleasure. Noone gave a straight answer but always referred me to someone else.

It was not very clean. Obviously the gardens and facilities were attended to by the gardeners and they were working hard that day I was there. Even so, it all had a very dated look, and as the hotel was apparently built in the 1980's, the people who ran it had not done very much since then.

A great song and dance was made about the Jacuzzi outside the room in open air. It was full of mould, there was a beer can there from a previous resident as well as a bottle of shampoo or similar from the bathroom. Obviously it is not at all maintained. Knowing of the potential risks of the Jacuzzi we decided straight away that that was not on our list.

Wifi was not available all the time. On the Wednesday night there was a weak signal, but the reception could not give me the password. After three attempts, the gentleman in reception finally said that "perhaps this would solve the problem" but it took time. On Thursday morning, there was no Wifi in the room. I rang reception and they said they would move the antennas, but it never worked that morning. Other guests recommended that there was a better signal by the pools. They never asked me whether the problem was resolved. Until we left it had not been resolved. You could get it at breakfast in the dining area, which was again dated, but more or less functional, but nothing special, for a $172 USD room. Actually the buffet was paid for the company that I was attending. So it would have been an extra.

There were not many options for breakfast. There were no mixtures of juices just orange juice. That was at least freshly prepared. I also had bacon and eggs. The bacon was not of a good quality. They only had white bread, Nowadays one expects to be offered options. My wife said that the chilaquiles looked disgusting, and she was not at all impressed by the other dishes. Her scrambled eggs and ham were not very good, as she said that the comal on which they were cooked was not cleaned before cooking her dish, and therefore carried the tastes of other dishes ! She saw them cooking so this is not a guess.

As is usual in Mexico, in general, the people were friendly. The least friendly were the people in reception. They all tried to an extent but obviously the problem is due basically to Management and Supervision.

I will never stay there again and I would pass that recomendation to all possible visitors.

Room Tip: Mejor no lo visitas !
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank rogerkmex

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I loved the way everyone treats one there. Service at the pool makes you feel like the money you spent was totally worthfull. The buffet on Sunday is great: has a lot of variety; for the rest of the week it good (doesn't have as many dishes as on Sunday, [that ofcourse can be understood because the quantity of people staying is lower]). Will definetly go back!

• Stayed: April 2013
Villabejar, Director General at Villa Bejar Cuernavaca, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear guest thank you for your comment, for us it is a pleasure to serve. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 14 December 2012

reasonable size rooms, access might be little hard atimes (especially if tired).
the gardens are nicely decorated and maintained.

cleaning services not supreme but can't say its dirty, but making a note to the reception might make it better.
the food is acceptable, the lower rates are justifying the value.

in general not a bad place, but better not to have too high expectations.

from the different options in the area - that's a good place to be.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Shay M
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stayed at villa bejar for the long weekend of november 1st. for 3 nights with my parents and my brother, we stayed once many years ago and it was a very nice hotel but now it was a disappoitment, the hotel is really old and now part of a vacation club so its really run down.
I stayed with my family in the suite number 72, good sized room that easily accomodated my wife and my 3 sons (ages 5, and the twins 4) but the room was falling appart there was a broken window at the top left of the room, the WC will not stop running so water will waste forever ( I had to fix it twice so water stop running) and the ligt of the ceiling fan was ready to fall, the sheets on the bed are at best "translucid" My brother stayed at suite number 75 and in the second day the lock of the door just stoped working so they tried to fix it and just couldn´t do it, at 10:30 PM they askd my brother to gather all his things and moved him to another room far away from all of us. My parents stayed at suite number 68 and on saturday was the "invasion" of 3/8 of an inch red ants, they called the front desk and a maid came in and began killing them all, telling my mom "I have to get rid of them because if one bites you it will ve very painfull".
On saturday night the hotel organized a paty that went on until 2:00 in the morning 20 meters from our rooms so not even the kids were able to go to sleep.
The only good thing at the hotel is service, employees will go the extra mile to accomodate your needs, particulary Jesus the "pool buttler" he was to say the least "extraordinary"

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MichelMexico
Villabejar, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa Bejar Cuernavaca, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, and we want to let you know that we are going to work on your observations. We hope to see you again. We apologize for the inconveniences and thank you.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

I stayed in this hotel per one night i paid almost the same price than a regular hotel 5 stars 200USD per one suite (it was near from a wedding place) and the hotel is very old, furniture is very simple, bed is hard as a rock, rooms have a lot of noises inside (servibar, TV screen, etc) and outside (cars, trucks, etc). I also paid for a jacuzzi and it was too dirty to think about getting in. Other disdusting issue is that the charge you 200USD but pretend to get much more money even for the bottle of water inside your room if you take you will be paying extra 2 USD, form servibar of course much more. Please if you go to Cuernavaca go to another hotel, save yourself unpleasant stays, cost effective relation is pretty bad.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jose H
Villabejar, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa Bejar Cuernavaca, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2011

We are very sorry to desappoint you and we will take into consideration your observations, especially in the bottle of water issue. It´s important to point out that our beds are new and they may be perceive as hard. Thanks for taking the time to help improve Our Service.

Reviewed 25 June 2011

Cuernavaca just about an hour away from Mexico City is a really great place to visit; it is called the city of eternal spring because it has great weather all year long. We visited all the colonial buildings and great pre Hispanic archeological ruins nearby, we missed however a tour to Taxco, a nearby mining town were silver is turned into marvelous and beautiful pieces. We won’t miss it next time.
The Villa Bejar hotel has great features, it has beautiful gardens and a great Spa for unwinding and relaxing after a whole day walking and visiting beautiful places. The staff at the spa was friendly and they gave the best massage, we took the Anti stress massage and loved it. We wanted to visit the spa more often but ran out of time.
We left so much undone, we will need another visit to Cuernavaca to catch up. Cuernavaca has it all, lovely weather, great restaurants, movie, shopping center, crafts stores, (which I love because Mexican crafts make me crazy), friendly people, great constructions, cultural life, Diego Rivera’s paintings, no wonder Cortez, yes Hernan Cortez build his palace here.
The rooms at Villa Bejar were clean and spacious and the pool was at good temperature for the warm weather outside. The fans and air conditioner worked wonders for the room’s temperature. The restaurant bin the hotel had great food we enjoyed at breakfast every day and at dinner a couple of times. Although Mexican food can be very spicy the chef would cook a mild version for you, all the great taste none of the discomfort.
The staff is great they help you with all your need even non hotel related ones.they all speak English or at least understand enough to get you someone who does so language is not an issue. Great hotel I would definitely visit again, and this time I am bringing my husband.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 1 February 2011

We stayed at the hotel for a week. Despite knowing no Spanish the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful getting us about. We ate in the restaurant a couple of times and the food was excellent, especially fish bejar! The Margaritas were the best I tasted. We were the only Europeans there but is not a bad thing! Also had a wonderful massage. We had the pool to ourselves on a couple of occasions. A beautiful setting with the white buildings against a blue sky.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple