“It's spring all year!”
Review of Cuernavaca

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Cleveland, Ohio
5 helpful votes
“It's spring all year!”
Reviewed 7 January 2008

I spent 2 months in Cuernavaca in 2004 as part of a Spanish program from my university. I stayed with a host family and attended Chuanuac School ( I'm sure that is spelled wrong! ) It was a wonderful experience. If you are visit I suggest you go to the Palacio Cortez in the center of town.

While in Mexico I also went to the Shrine of Guadalupe, the silver mines in Taxco, the Pyramids at Teothuacan as well as the Ballet Folklorico in Mexico City. I highly recommend all of these activities.

Also when you are in Cuernavaca make sure you make time to go to the fiuca a.k.a. the black market. There you can fine wonderful things for a very cheap price. Extremely good looking knockoffs of things as well :) It is rather hard to find but worth the search. Just make sure you don't need to use the bathroom as it is dirty and filled with millions of dead cockroaches!

If you go to Cuernavaca let me know how your trip was. Enjoy!!

4 Thank NicNac0206
Lima, Ohio
9 helpful votes
“Most wonderful trip (Aug 26- Sep2,2007)”
Reviewed 10 September 2007

My wife and I spent a week at the La Villata School of Mexican cooking ([--]). It was a surprise trip for my wife. We had absolutely the best vacation. Chef Ana Garcia is a great teacher with lots of patience and charm.
We stayed at historical hotel Reposado, site of her cooking school and excellent gourmet restaurant. The hotel is exceedingly charming and romantic.
Cuernavaca and the surrounding mountain areas are absolutely beautiful and free of any 'tourist traps'. Even though it was raining for few hours every day, it was a welcome relief from the heat and humidity of Ohio.
We came away with totally different appreciation of the beauty, culture and culinary expereience of Mexico. We will most likely go back next October when all the flowers are supposed to be out.

5 Thank urodoc4570
A TripAdvisor Member
“The Weather is Divine”
Reviewed 19 July 2004

Cuernavaca is wonderful. The weather was in the mid to upper 70s every single day. There are fabulous museums, shopping and sight-seeing. We got great deals on souvenirs, took wonderful excursions and learned loads of Spanish. It is one of my best vacations ever.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“Day of the Dead in Cuernavaca”
Reviewed 3 December 2002

The Day of the Dead in Cuernavaca and surrounding small communities in Morelos state is absolute magic.
First of all, this is the beginning of the dry season, so the weather could not be more perfect. Secondly, Cuernavaca, in particular, is the place where Malcolm Lowry wrote "Under the Volcano", and where he became fascinated with the theme of the Day of the Dead. The city and the region are very atmospheric nestled in the valley and with views of the volcano on clear days.
On the Day of the Dead, the entire population is obsessed with decorating the cemetaries and homes and after dark the country churches and homes alike welcome visitors to see their "ofrendas" or altars depicting either a specific departed relation or a more general theme celebrating the spririt of the day. Brass bands play, people dance, and this holiday is anything but a somber remembrance.
This event is really a two night program as the following night, Cuernavaca's Borda Gardens are full of bands and dancing, and the large-scale sale of the skeleton figurines and symbols so famous during this time.
Cuernavaca is the best-kept secret in Mexico, offering perfect weather, colonial charm, and lodging from the most basic to the most luxurious. The people, as always, are wonderful. I plan to make this an annual pilgrimage

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Cuernavaca? Share your experiences!