“What a magical place!”
Review of Las Sabilas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Guadalajara
Las Sabilas
Ranked #9 of 70 Guadalajara B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My friend and I hugely enjoyed Las Sabilas. The charm of our room in such a beautiful and lush garden setting was delightful. Although the swimming pool was being repaired while we we there, we were able to use another pool a couple of blocks away owned by the owners of Las Sabilas. Bob and Luis, the owners, were most enjoyable to visit with and helpful in orienting us to Guadalajara. We'll definitely recommend this hotel to others and we are looking forward to returning some day.

Room Tip: Try to get the garden casita.
Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Len L

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Very good photograph! He was able to disguise the deterioration of sites and DIRT...even the garden lacks a gardener.
It is indecent to rent at this price those appartements so badly required. It's an American who rented it, so I expect to americain standards.
The owner is gentle, amable but when I rent somewhere, I need more than gentleness...

Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank Pasclair
Reviewed 25 February 2012

"Rustic" is one thing but a "garden house" that is basically camping out is another. I agree the place is lovely and inexpensive, but if the wind can send old dead leaves and dust directly into your room OR if you turn on the light at night or worse yet step into vermin as you are stumbling to go to the bathroom at night, this is a little disturbing. There are hotels with real charm in this same area of GDLJRA (Hotel San Francisco de Plaza for instance). My room in Las Sabilla was the one with the kitchen, but any food not confined to the fridge was nibbled by mice or rats. My second morning, Luis confronted me with a question re whether I had "borrowed' a garlic clove from the main kitchen. When I responded I had not, his retort was "are you sure?". I found this a little too familiar and more than a little contempuous. On my stay, Luis was "busy" coming up with little add-on fees to chisel money out of the guests. I did not find him helpful or especially friendly.

Room Tip: Some rooms may be sealed up better than others, I'm not sure...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Stewart L
Reviewed 21 February 2012

La Sabilas was our first stop on a 2 week self-guided tour for my wife and I thru the western highlands. We very much enjoyed our 3 day stay in busy, picturesque Guadalajara and in our oasis from the bustle, La Sabilas. As described in other reviews Robert has created a garden paradise that is both tasteful and unique. The atmosphere in La Sabilas is casual but we found Robert to be very helpful for suggestions on things to do, places to eat and helping with travel arrangements (the taxi service right next door is great). Coffee is always on in the morning and we really enjoyed walking the short distance to a big market for the most amazing fruit/yogurt based blended drinks that formed a whole meal on their own! La Sabilas is a 10-15 minute pleasant walk thru the quiet neighbourhood to the heart of the old town. This location worked very well for us.
Aside from the fact that Robert is a smoker and on occasion some smoke did linger we enjoyed our stay in La Sabilas and would certainly stay here again. Should also note that as the guesthouse was not overbooked at the time we were there Robert upgraded our room and did not charge us any extra for this...very considerate! Thanks Robert.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2011

an energy, a spirit, a living work of passion and art..
quirky, peaceful, surprising...
a place to encounter many things and wonderful people
not quite the usual guesthouse..
wouldn't miss it and will return for sure..

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank paulakiwi
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We had a fantastic stay. It's a beautiful little oasis, really helpful staff, but who also left to do your own thing. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Natasha F
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Las Sabilas is nice if you want somewhere pretty and rustic to stay in and are feeling laid back with nothing to achieve during your stay except hang out. It's popular with San Fran folk and gay couples who seem to have a lovely time exploring the local nightlife and meeting local people.

When I arrived at Las Sabilas from the UK I was charmed by this hideaway in the middle of a bustling city. Bob the owner has a very artistic eye - in fact he is a semi-retired garden designer and the courtyard garden is like something out of the hanging gardens of Babylon. I was staying in a mini apartment - it had a living room and kitchen as well as a gorgeous hand mosaiced bathroom.

When I met Bob he was very charming. And the young Mexican guy Luis who works there as handyman etc is very sweet and laid back. He also is really keen to improve his English so if you stay there you might be able to arrange an intercambio with him.

My problems came when Bob left for a week to do a job in the US. I came to Guadalajara to work - and having little Spanish - and this being my first trip to Mexico - I needed a bit of support. Especially as the job turned out to be quite demanding.

So there were various things where I could have done with a bit of help - like the airline lost my baggage - a phone call in Spanish to the airline would really have made a difference to me. I did ask for this but it didn't happen.

I also needed to get around the city by cab for my new job. And the interpretation through las Sabilas got crossed somewhere and the cab driver thought I was going somewhere totally different - I ended up being late and it cost me extra. You don't order a cab in the usual way through Las Sabilas - they talk to the lady across the road whose husband has a cab and she knows the other taxistas and will call them herself, or get a friend to do it for cash.

Another time I was checking out and moving to the next hotel and trying to get a cab to the same workplace with the same driver- this time when I had marked the school on a city map we had a 5-10 min confused discussion in my bad Spanish and in the end I gave up and walked to the new hotel. Yes I'm ashamed of my impatience because Luis was trying to help me. You know this is the reality - if I had been on holiday, nothing to achieve, such a conversation would have been good fun.. a kind of "let's see where I end up"...

There was no internet in my room at the front of the house - fair enough that I was warned in advance - but then I got bitten by mozzies when taking the laptop into the garden. Then the internet packed in and I asked the other owner of Las Sabilas about it - he was unconcerned and said I would have to go to an internet cafe, which he said was to the right somewhere. I walked up and down in the humidity trying finding it and gave up.

The room only had tiny towels for washing your face and my luggage was missing for 5 days so that was a pain - again it's not like a hotel where you call reception and everything gets sorted for you. The reception area was empty I guess because Bob was away. Lots of little niggles.. I could go on boringly. Again it depends on your situation and how effective you need to be during your stay in Guadalajara.

To balance that I had to iron some trousers for work one morning and asked Luis for an iron and the sweet guy he actually ironed my trousers for me! How lovely is that. So there is something very sweet about this place. It's just to think if you have to get things done to deadline... then it's probably not for you. Also there is a fruit and veg market about 3-4 blocks West of Las Sabilas - I bought fresh fruit and salad vegetables to eat at Las Sabilas.

The next place I stayed at was called La Rotonda - about 2-3 blocks south of Las Sabilas, near the cathedral. It's a charming Colonial style hotel with courtyards and this volcanic I think grey stone pillars and walls.

For me this was much more suitable because one lady at reception had amazing English. She sorted out my cabs very efficiently and they were cheap and the drivers got me there without headaches and U-turns... You can get vouchers that are cheap for the daily buffet breakfast, which is great. Loads of staff, so whenever anything went wrong I had someone to ask and practice my rubbish Spanish on. It's a bit more central if you need to get anywhere by bus. Plus it was about $30 - $40US dollars cheaper a night to stay there. So life got a bit easier for me at La Rotonda.

Good luck with choosing the perfect place for your stay in Guadalajara.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back will be quiet - mine was at the front by the road - so the lounge floor vibrates w...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business