“Charming, delightful, original, and friendly too”
Review of Las Sabilas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Guadalajara
Las Sabilas
Ranked #9 of 70 Guadalajara B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We just got back to Lakeside from a couple of nights in Las Sabilas, and we were reluctant to leave! The vibrant colors of our room, the stained glass accents, the comfortable bed and chairs, the wall lights, all made me wish I was half as skilled at creating decor and atmosphere. The quiet and very effective large ceiling fan kept us cool, I cannot imagine why anyone would fault it for not having air conditioning....how ridiculous, it isn't the Holiday Inn Express! It's a delightful and romantic jewel set in a quiet and safe neighborhood only 5 blocks from the city center, and decorated with an amazing garden and sparkling clean pool. The owner is a charming man who is a well known horticulturist and garden designer in this area, and he is happy to sit and chat and share information on the area and the gorgeous flowers and plants that grace this peaceful hidden gem. Pets are truly welcome, and my little dog so enjoyed himself too! I've stayed at many "boutique hotels" where I have paid three times as much and not felt so wonderfully at home as at Las Sabilas. It's absolutely perfect.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful and original . All are completely quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rosfreed

Reviewed 19 July 2012

My family and I arrived at Las Sabilas via taxi and were all so very excited to see the place based on all the rave Tripadvisor reviews....but OMG...what a horrible place it was. The rooms were filled with every kind of bug imaginable, there was no airconditioning, blankets, sheets and towels were old, faded and frayed, the shower and toilet in the master room afforded absolutely no privacy, the pool left my kids' feet blue and both rooms were dirty and dusty.

We somehow managed to pass the night with very little sleep. Most of our waking hours were spent chasing flying bugs around the room. First thing in the morning we found a magnificent hotel far far away from this monstrosity. For a moment, I thought I had found myself in the middle of the Twilight Zone for it was nearly impossible to find a taxi in front of Las Sabilas. We all breathed a combined sigh of relief knowing we were never to see this place again.

P.S. We traveled in June of 2010. The pull down menu on here doesn't go that far back.

Room Tip: Please pass this place on your way to something way better....
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Travlingman33
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I LOVED THIS PLACE! If you're worried about doors that maybe squeak, or don't even exist, this is not the place for you. BUT: if you are an adventurous soul who appreciates the delicate tile work in the bathrooms and doesn't mind curtains instead of doors (only in some of the rooms), well, this is a complete slice of private heaven! My only regret is that I did not write this place up sooner. We stayed, (12 family/friends) at Las Sabilas and enjoyed ourselves endlessly. We had a complete breakfast of fresh food each morning, as the local market is a couple of short blocks away. There was always a smile to greet us in the morn, along with the freshly brewed strong coffee and a WONDERFUL proprietor who was a gentleman in the true sense of the word. Visually, this place is ecstasy. If you like to photograph, this is the place where unique shots can be taken. If you want relaxation, this is the place to stretch out after a leisurely swim in the pool - just lay down in your bed with the window open and listen to the fountains lull you to sleep. If you want to be within walking distance of all the main attractions of Guadalajara, this is the place that must be your vacation destination. Considering we are a boisterous, multi-generational, multi-cultural family, there is rarely a place that can cater to every need and whim we have - but Las Sabilas accommodated us in every way. What deliciously delirious memories we have! Thank you, Las Sabilas!

Room Tip: Call them and explain who is in your party - adults? Elders? Children? For couples, there's a be...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank svetpesh
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My friend and I hugely enjoyed Las Sabilas. The charm of our room in such a beautiful and lush garden setting was delightful. Although the swimming pool was being repaired while we we there, we were able to use another pool a couple of blocks away owned by the owners of Las Sabilas. Bob and Luis, the owners, were most enjoyable to visit with and helpful in orienting us to Guadalajara. We'll definitely recommend this hotel to others and we are looking forward to returning some day.

Room Tip: Try to get the garden casita.
Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Len L
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Very good photograph! He was able to disguise the deterioration of sites and DIRT...even the garden lacks a gardener.
It is indecent to rent at this price those appartements so badly required. It's an American who rented it, so I expect to americain standards.
The owner is gentle, amable but when I rent somewhere, I need more than gentleness...

Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank Pasclair
Reviewed 25 February 2012

"Rustic" is one thing but a "garden house" that is basically camping out is another. I agree the place is lovely and inexpensive, but if the wind can send old dead leaves and dust directly into your room OR if you turn on the light at night or worse yet step into vermin as you are stumbling to go to the bathroom at night, this is a little disturbing. There are hotels with real charm in this same area of GDLJRA (Hotel San Francisco de Plaza for instance). My room in Las Sabilla was the one with the kitchen, but any food not confined to the fridge was nibbled by mice or rats. My second morning, Luis confronted me with a question re whether I had "borrowed' a garlic clove from the main kitchen. When I responded I had not, his retort was "are you sure?". I found this a little too familiar and more than a little contempuous. On my stay, Luis was "busy" coming up with little add-on fees to chisel money out of the guests. I did not find him helpful or especially friendly.

Room Tip: Some rooms may be sealed up better than others, I'm not sure...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Stewart L
Reviewed 21 February 2012

La Sabilas was our first stop on a 2 week self-guided tour for my wife and I thru the western highlands. We very much enjoyed our 3 day stay in busy, picturesque Guadalajara and in our oasis from the bustle, La Sabilas. As described in other reviews Robert has created a garden paradise that is both tasteful and unique. The atmosphere in La Sabilas is casual but we found Robert to be very helpful for suggestions on things to do, places to eat and helping with travel arrangements (the taxi service right next door is great). Coffee is always on in the morning and we really enjoyed walking the short distance to a big market for the most amazing fruit/yogurt based blended drinks that formed a whole meal on their own! La Sabilas is a 10-15 minute pleasant walk thru the quiet neighbourhood to the heart of the old town. This location worked very well for us.
Aside from the fact that Robert is a smoker and on occasion some smoke did linger we enjoyed our stay in La Sabilas and would certainly stay here again. Should also note that as the guesthouse was not overbooked at the time we were there Robert upgraded our room and did not charge us any extra for this...very considerate! Thanks Robert.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple