“Charming colonial hotel in the historic downtown with great staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel la Rotonda

Hotel la Rotonda
Hotel la Rotonda
Ranked #65 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
Mexico City, Mexico
“Charming colonial hotel in the historic downtown with great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel four nights for a conference. The location is great, right in the historic downtown. The hotel is colonial style and very clean. I was most impressed with how accommodating the staff was, like tracking down a converter the first night when I realized my three-prong charger wouldn't fit in the two-prong outlet. There's a restaurante and café as well. The only downside was no A/C, so the room got a bit stuffy (though there was a large window with a screen)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Rebecca W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Manzanillo, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

I came to Guadalajara for a job teaching English and needed to be effective from day 1. I found La Rotonda charming - the reception staff were bright and efficient. And the younger ones are bilingual - even better, they let me practise my bad Spanish on them and then we switched to English if I got stuck. This charmed me.

The place is clean, and it has high ceilings and stone walls and pillars arranged around courtyards. Rooms have double wooden doors opening into them, and balconies. I was put first of allinto a room at the back, which felt quiet and rustic. It made a change from the zooming, rattling car noise of my previous hotel. the only problem was the wireless internet couldn't get there. So I asked to change rooms and the reception staff were very quick and efficient in organising this. I got a bigger room that's on the street front so not quiet like the other one but practical because I needed to work on the laptop.

things went wrong of course - the toilet broke twice, the light bulb blew. For me this was a great opportunity to try out my bad Spanish on the reception staff - and the handyman sorted this stuff quickly. I was trying to find a sauna - I do this for my health - and one of the receptionists rang up a couple of gyms in Spanish for me. No sauna, sadly, but this was so helpful because my language isn't up to phone calls.

There's daily breakfast, for which you can get cheap vouchers - and it's big... all those meat dishes they go in for, tacos / tortillas freshly made, fruit, cake, lashings of hot coffee. There's a coffee shop next door they own too, which I went in a few times.

Also I wasn't well when I arrived in Mexico - stomach problems - which made eating difficult. I was picknicking on dry crackers and avocadoes, because I couldn't stomach protein foods and dairy. I asked the waitress if I could just have a plain vegetable soup and she sorted it for me, even though it was late. The staff were very sweet and welcoming and this meant a lot to me.

Room Tip: For internet access you want a room near the wireless access point - so the balcony rooms at the fro...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank kath b
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

We tried to stay here. After several emails to hotelselectos.com requesting a reservation were not answered, I tried calling the hotel directly. Got as far as "Habla ingles?", which the desk clerk answered no to and then she hung up on me! I then had a friend who is a native spanish speaker call. She made a reservation and asked them to email me to confirm it. They did not. I then sent a letter via registered mail with my credit card info to confirm the reservation I hoped I had. No response. At that point I made a reservation elsewhere. When I got to Guadalajara, I went to Hotel La Rotonda and they had my letter right there at the desk! Too late, but I will say the place was in a good location, and the lobby was clean.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rainy_day_travelers
Mexico City, Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2010

Arrived late (1am) on a Viva Aerobus flight from DF only to get to the hotel and be told that despite the reservation number we had in hand (we had been given over the phone when we made reservations) that they had no idea what we were talking about and the hotel was full. As best as we could tell, they decided that we weren't showing up and gave our room away for a quick profit from someone else. We argued with them, but there's not much you can do when the beds are all full and it's 1am. They did not help us find another place or offer and sort of remuneration. We stayed there the following night because we were out of the city all day and did not have time to look for another place and they charged us the full rate and gave us a hot/not air conditioned room facing into the central (TV blasting) courtyard. All around a very unpleasant experience.

By the way, we are Mexican, so there is no chance that there was a language barrier or a misunderstanding.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank DangerMouse77

Travellers are raving about these Guadalajara hotels

Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2010

You cannot beat the location of this mid-range hotel. Right in the middle of town, next to all the plazas, and just around the corner from the action so it is quiet. The room was more than fine and we enjoyed the professional staff even if they didn't seem excited to see us. We were there for 3 nights and all of them were good and I recommend this hotel. Price was right on the money for a big city.

We had a room with a balcony. There are not too many of these but with the quiet street in front I recommend you try one.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank peter.craig
Bellevue WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2010

We very much enjoyed this hotel because of it's great location a block from the Cathedral and easy access to all the downtown sights and plazas. We especially appreciated the easy evening walk to music, one night at the Teatro Delgrado, another night in the main plaza near the Cathedral. The service was friendly and helpful. The afternoon reception clerk spoke excellent English and the friendly morning clerk wrote things out while we pantomimed our needs. The rooms are simple, but we really liked some of the details, like the shuttered doors, and the public areas are charming. Most rooms overlook one of several interior courtyards. They are generally quiet unless other guests decide to talk and laugh until the wee hours of the morning. However, if you contact the front desk they will try to do something about it. One drawback was that the bathroom drains are trapless and thus sometimes, but not continuously, smelly. I think we paid 610 pesos per night for 2 double beds. A reasonable value. We would definitely return. They serve breakfast, but we love La Chata - only a few minutes walk south.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
British Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2010

This hotel is good value for money spent ($54.50 per night CDN). The location is great for visiting the surrounding historical sites. (Most closed on Monday, a fact to keep in mind.) The rooms surround an unimpressive courtyard in this historical building and are basic, but clean. We loved the antique doors and windows. Make sure you don't get put in a street-facing room as we did the first night (room #33). I had asked for a quiet room, too. The next 2 nights we were in room #45 which had 2 double beds and was much quieter. The management has limited English-speaking skills, so make sure you bring a dictionary if you need it. Rooms have fans only, but we didn't need them in Jan. Be sure to have warm clothing and a light jacket or sweater; the evenings are cool at that time of the year.

Walk south a few blocks and cross the street to La Chata which has an open-to-the-street kitchen, so you can see how clean it is. People cram in there but the service is outstanding as is the food. You can watch your food being cooked out front, if you want.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple