“Unbeatable value”

Hotel San Francisco Plaza
Ranked #94 of 131 Hotels in Guadalajara
Reviewed 10 January 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 11 December 2012

I have stayed before at this hotel and my experience this trip was not a very positive one. Certainly a great location in Guadalajara centro, no doubt about that. However, I agree with other reviewers that this hotel has seen better days. I was in room 201, a brightly lit room facing the patio. The room itself was comfortable however a few things left me wondering if I will stay here again. I found only one outlet in the room for a three prong plug. To charge my laptop I needed to unplug the TV. The free internet was incredibly slow (and I live in DSL world in Mexico so this was even slower!) Many times I lost internet connectivity. The bathroon was the worst. Mold in the shower, a sink held in by wires and sewer fumes coming up through the shower drain. And, the room was freezing the entire time I was here. Of course, this IS December in Guadalajara but wow, I'm so ready to go back to the coast! If you are willing to put up with some minor inconveniences for the $600+ pesos a night this is an OK place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Attn TripAdvisor: the cover photo for his hotel is NOT this hotel. (and that should be obvious)

I travel several to Guadalajara several times per year and have stayed in a few central hotels of this type. The SF Plaza is my current fave. There is a newer wing that does not appeal to me, but I love the room that I usually get. You may want to view several rooms... they are all different.

You might notice that you are making dirty footprints on the bathroom floor. This because the floors are stone; a soft, dark volcanic stone. This is a clean hotel with loads of charm and character. Wifi can be a bit weak. As all say, the location is perfect. There are always interesting people wandering through the tiny plaza out front. This hotel is on the edge of the gay clubs scene.

The cost for the breakfast buffet is nominal. You may pay for it when you pay for your room, but I think you can also peruse the buffet and pay before being seated. It is really, really good. There is never a crowd and you can take your time.... several different meats, eggs, fruits, yogurts, cereals, brewed coffee, and fresh juices.

Self parking is free, around the corner in a secure garage. Come and go as you please, but most tourists will have no need of driving anywhere.

I highly recommend this hotel, even if you are not on a budget.

Tom

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I travel weekly for work and usually stay in the Marriott brands. Not having this option when I go to GDL I ALWAYS stay here. The hotel staff is super freindly, in a great safe location with some spacious clean rooms. I left my passport and over $10K in pesos stupidly on my night stand and went out. I came back with a note on my bed that the room service had placed my passport and $$ under my cloths in the dresser, all acounted for. Obvously learned a lesson there, gave room service a huge tip and have returned 7 other times to great experiences every single time! I have not 1 time had any issues in this hotel. The food downstairs in the attatched restuarant is great! I reccomend the breakfast and lunch menu the most.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Hotel is located in the historic center, within walking distance to the main square, Zocalo with the cathedral. I spent here 2 nights. It is relatively inexpensive hotel. The level of comfort, in my opinion, was quite adequate to the price. Our spacious room was on the first floor. There was a balcony overlooking the square but unfortunately the door which gives an access to the balcony was closed. The room had air conditioning, TV, telephone and en-suite bathroom with hot shower. Hotel interiors were lovely decorated: paintings, plants, cages with birds, patios with fountains, balconies and galleries. In one of the courtyards was served breakfast in the morning. It was a buffet style breakfast, quite delicious. I paid for it extra as it wasn`t included in the price. Hotel made rather good impressions on me.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Quaint and quintessentially Mexican, even down to the noise caused when they moved the steel furniture in the dining area at five in the morning but to give them full credit the management listened t our complaint and the problem was resolved. We have stayed there 3 times and although the surrounding area is a bit grungy we did not feel threatened as we walked to and from the hotel.
Our room was large, clean and comfortable, the staff were polite and language was not a problem. The breakfast was good and plentiful.
We will stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2012

When you're in this hotel you really feel are in old Mexico - the decor is charming with little courtyards that contain beautiful fountains, plants and, in some cases, birds. The people at the front desk were polite - I speak Spanish so I don't know if they spoke English. My room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was a little run down but there was hot water and I was able to take a shower, and the plumbing worked. They provide a large free bottle of drinking water. It was kind of noisy most of the time - I don't think there is any kind of sound insulation in the walls, but I was still able to sleep. The volume on the TV didn't work, and neither did the air conditioning but the temperature was fine at night when it cools off in Guadalajara. I only had breakfast in the restaurant, which opens at 8:00 and it took them a really long time to produce coffee and toast - I asked what was taking so long and they said they were "heating the bread". There was a breakfast buffet which I didn't try. They don't open for breakfast until 8:00 am, which could be a problem if you have to be out and about early. The Seven Eleven across the little plaza serves better and cheaper coffee. I walked around quite a bit but the neighborhood doesn't look very safe and I wouldn't be inclined to be out after dark in the area. You can easily walk to most of the attractions in downtown Guadalajara including the Plaza de los Mariachis. I would definitely stay in this hotel again. I only paid around $30 per night and it was well worth it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business