“Location Location Location”

Hotel San Francisco Plaza
Ranked #94 of 131 Hotels in Guadalajara
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I consider myself a well seasoned Mexico traveler (usually by road trip) and I have seen the good the bad and the spooky. The things I didn't like. The restaurant was over price but looked good,anyways I passed on it. There are tons of places to eat in that area. Now the good things. The room was clean and a decent size for a family with kids. The hotel provides locked car storage, very nice to have. The hotel is very pretty and the staff was nice. We arrived well before check in and they didn't charge us for an extra day. The hotel will give you an authentic Mexican travel experience. Great get away from the American cookie cutter hotels.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Using tripadvisor, I sent links for five hotels in Guadalajara to my daughter who lives in Mexico and asked her to book me one in which to stay while I awaited her arrival.
She chose the Hotel San Francisco Plaza.
Once the booking was made, I reread the reviews and wondered what to expect.
I was tired, hot and somewhat overwhelmed by the time I arrived at the hotel, so my large room with the cool marble floors seemed like an oasis.
Yes, the hotel is from another era. Yes, the bathroom was not too spacious and the shower door had a few gaps in it. But the charm, splendour and beauty of the place eclipses the annoyances.
I requested a balcony...in fact, my room had two of them. Since they are the "Juliet" style, you can barely squeeze on one, but when the doors are opened, the room is cooler. The lighting gets swallowed by the size of the room, but there are lights above the bed for reading.
Depending upon the location, the rooms can be noisy. Mine vibrated with the traffic during the early evening, but with the double doors closed, I slept through the night.
There are cold water dispensers available throughout the hotel; I was lucky enough to have one just outside my room.
My only real "dislike" was the caged birds adjacent to the reception desk; it made me sad to see them.
The vastness and beauty of the flooring, high ceilings, architecture and lighting made the stay worthwhile. I was also grateful that the hotel had its own dining room, as I was too timid to venture out on my own on the first night.
Glad that my daughter chose the Hotel San Francisco Plaza for my stay in the centre of Guadalajara.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Islander280
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We were really looking forward to our stay at this place. Another website gave it 4-stars, the location was perfect for us and it looked amazing. We reserved two rooms with balconies facing the street, not the courtyard. Upon check-in, the exterior didn't look nearly as pristine as the photos and entry was a little disappointing. Staff however were extremely friendly and accommodating and gave us rooms as requested. The inner courtyard is calming with birds and flourishing foliage. The place obviously has a grand history. Magnificent hardwood room-doors towering to at least ten feet, ceilings of twelve feet, possibly higher. A setting that sets the stage for a magnificent experience. Entering our rooms we immediately grasped an air of profound stench. Something like mold or sewage, possibly both. Our friends down the hall, same thing. Our beds too were very tired, hard and con-caved. The stench thing wasn't just a mild problem. We had had issues like this elsewhere and solved it by flushing water down the drains, but this had no affect. The lovely balconies in the web photos..when we finally wrenched and worked the doors open, it was a shock. You couldn't step out without walking in pigeon guano, the balcony railings were caked in poop as well. It was so disgusting dirty we closed the beautiful doors and didn't go out again. Our friends room, the same thing. After a less than good night sleep we asked to cut our stay here from 4 nights to checking out now, and although we were committed to to all 4 there was no objection or charge for additional night. All staff, front, reception, cleaning (not good but possibly over worked) and restaurant staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. They need to undergo serious sewage and other renos and this place could really be great!!!

Room Tip: don't book here according to their website description, wait for reno and upgrades
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2013

This hotel was our base for 3 nights in Guadalajara earlier this week. It is very conveniently located for the Historic Centre of Guadalajara and we stayed an extra night as the deal was stay two nights get the 3rd Free. It is an old colonial building and could do with renovations asap to the rooms. They were dark and dingy and smelled of damp. The sheets were clean but unfortunately the smell coming up from the drains was so obnoxious it seemed as though a colonial builder had left something down there to haunt us. The staff however were helpful and friendly and the breakfast looked very good, the dining room well attended. The owners should get on and renovate and this would bring it back up to a 3 star hotel standard.

Room Tip: We were in 118 to start with which was quiet but very dingy. We moved to 215 which was larger and br...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank motorhomelifer
Reviewed 10 January 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I have stayed before at this hotel and my experience this trip was not a very positive one. Certainly a great location in Guadalajara centro, no doubt about that. However, I agree with other reviewers that this hotel has seen better days. I was in room 201, a brightly lit room facing the patio. The room itself was comfortable however a few things left me wondering if I will stay here again. I found only one outlet in the room for a three prong plug. To charge my laptop I needed to unplug the TV. The free internet was incredibly slow (and I live in DSL world in Mexico so this was even slower!) Many times I lost internet connectivity. The bathroon was the worst. Mold in the shower, a sink held in by wires and sewer fumes coming up through the shower drain. And, the room was freezing the entire time I was here. Of course, this IS December in Guadalajara but wow, I'm so ready to go back to the coast! If you are willing to put up with some minor inconveniences for the $600+ pesos a night this is an OK place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Attn TripAdvisor: the cover photo for his hotel is NOT this hotel. (and that should be obvious)

I travel several to Guadalajara several times per year and have stayed in a few central hotels of this type. The SF Plaza is my current fave. There is a newer wing that does not appeal to me, but I love the room that I usually get. You may want to view several rooms... they are all different.

You might notice that you are making dirty footprints on the bathroom floor. This because the floors are stone; a soft, dark volcanic stone. This is a clean hotel with loads of charm and character. Wifi can be a bit weak. As all say, the location is perfect. There are always interesting people wandering through the tiny plaza out front. This hotel is on the edge of the gay clubs scene.

The cost for the breakfast buffet is nominal. You may pay for it when you pay for your room, but I think you can also peruse the buffet and pay before being seated. It is really, really good. There is never a crowd and you can take your time.... several different meats, eggs, fruits, yogurts, cereals, brewed coffee, and fresh juices.

Self parking is free, around the corner in a secure garage. Come and go as you please, but most tourists will have no need of driving anywhere.

I highly recommend this hotel, even if you are not on a budget.

Tom