“Tried it a second time, thought it couldn't be that bad”

Hotel San Francisco Plaza
Ranked #94 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Tried it a second time, thought it couldn't be that bad”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I got a great rate of $31 per night through Booking.com. Had problems again. Bathroom shower could have used a good scrubbing. Wifi was in and out and slow. Toilet was not anchored to floor. Little things that could easily be fixed. Room smelled smoky and air stale even with window open. On second day water in shower smelled like rotten eggs. Will stay somewhere else.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Brownsville, Texas
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel has a special charm that made me think of an old hacienda. It is surrounded by charming greenery, flowers, song birds in cages, and it has an old world charm of yesteryear. It is solid and the windows and ceilings of the rooms are high and made of solid wood and stone-no cheap particle board here!! Even the dressers and furniture are of solid dark wood. Don't expect the Ritz in Paris, but you will not be disappointed if you want to experience a real Mexican hotel that still has old world charm. The tv in our room was not plasma, but we could still see the news in English on CNN. One night my friend and I watched the movie, "Castaway" with Tom Hanks in Spanish. Most of the others quests were Mexican and I liked that. I didn't feel like I was just in some modern hotel in downtown Houston, Texas. The bed was a little hard, but that was something I got used to in just one night. Most of all, the price was very reasonable. I had more money to see the city and have fun. It is located in the historic downtown area so we didn't need to take taxis anywhere!!! You can walk to the Teatro Degollado, the Cathedral, scores of restaurants, market places, luxury stores, and night clubs. My friend and I felt safe here too. They close the whole façade with wooden glass doors after a certain hour and we just flashed our card keys to get inside at 3 am after a night of clubbing. The staff is also nice and no one was rude of unfriendly. I would stay here again. It's not luxury, but it is a decent hotel that has a nostalgic charm.

Room Tip: Rooms in the inner courtyard are more quiet. You can hear the rain fall at night and leave the windo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank joedigrazia
Franklin Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel has offers a location that is central to many good sites in Guadalajara and some pretty architectural design elements. Unfortunately, that is all that I can say about it.

The rooms are basic, unclean, and outdated. The bathroom in my room was particularly objectionable. It was unclean, terribly outdated and barely functional.

Worst of all, one of the employees went through my luggage when I was out of the room and stole some of the emergency money I had hidden in a compartment. My luggage never left the room, and I was the only person in the room other than the maids. I contacted the hotel to attempt a resolution, but they were nonresponsive, and after much prodding, refused to do anything about the situation.

Stay away. Stay far, far away.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Guadalajara hotels

Las vegas
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I arrived at the room and to my surprise saw small insects there, I let the front office know and they told me it was Mosquitos and simply sprayed the room. I woke up the next morning with my entire back filled with mosquito bites. The worst experience yet was at the restaurant. My daughter and I went there for breakfast before heading out, I ordered pancakes for my daughter and toasted bread, fruit, and coffee for me. I got pancakes with no utensils (I literally had to get up and ask the kitchen lady for some) ten minutes later I got my bread, another ten minutes later I got the fruit and never got my coffee. Who in their right mind serves little by little like that. I looked pretty upset and the manager told me my meal would be complimentary and at the end they charged me. I didn't mind just paying so I could leave.

• Stayed July 2014
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The building is attractive but the rooms need some updating.Our rooms ( we were there on 2 occasions a week apart) which were central on the first floor were a bit noisy. There was no wi-fi in the rooms. We tried the restaurant once and it was disappointing. The location is convenient to the CBD and the major sights. The staff were helpful. The price is about right for what you get.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Mexico
Reviewed 20 March 2014

(Contrary to what some reviews say, this hotel does have one elevator.)

WIFI is weak or non existent in most parts of the hotel.

The free breakfast buffet went away a year ago, replaced by a more simple, free breakfast which now has also gone away. Breakfast buffet is now 85 pesos and other options with room service are offered. Probably still a good deal, but I think a big mistake.

I enjoyed the conviviality of travelers gathering at nice tables around the splashing fountain for a leisurely breakfast, the clatter of china, subdued conversations... now all gone. On both mornings of my stay this week, no one was buying breakfast.

In my opinion, this moves this hotel out of the budget category. Probably something similar is happening at The Frances and The Morales. Most likely, I will continue to stay at this hotel because of the location and my familiarity; but with less enthusiasm.

(In fairness, re those who complain about dirty feet: some rooms have the original stone floors. This is cantera stone; a soft stone. It is not really dirty. Other rooms are available with tiled floors.)

Room for two with a queen or king bed = 710 pesos.

Tom

Room Tip: As I have said before, no two rooms are the same. Feel free to leave your bags at the reception and...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jaltemba
World Citizen
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Cold room (mid-Jan) but they provided a blanket when asked. Shower faithfully soaked the tile floor in front of the sink (which didn't drain well and brought up .. whatever was in the bend). Slippery floor once wet. Socks got dirty in the room, so shoes were necessary, but when wet on tile floor threatened catastrophe by slipping and a fall. No soap or shampoo provided, but 2nd day after room cleaning they both appeared.
Room stayed damp. My travel underwear never dried thoroughly, and should have by design. No sun ever got through to the courtyard where our room opened.

I traveled with my 22yo son and we are watching money as best we can. $200 peso price difference between one bed and two. We toughed sleeping on one shared bed.
Front desk didn't say so, but the gentleman carrying our bags informed us if we stayed two nights, the third night would be free. Would have liked to know that at the desk while checking in. Would have change one bed to two, for sure.

We stayed two nights to get the third, so the average per night was $400 pesos, or $600 per night, third night free.

Would I recommend this hotel? Nah, there are better options. We didn't exactly suffer, but can't say we enjoyed the hotel. No, not at all. I didn't mention, there's a bit of a cold moldy smell in the room(s).

Room Tip: We didn't look at others, but probably an upper level room (stairs only, I think) that faces som...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family