“Best Place for our first visit to Guadalajara”

Fiesta Americana Guadalajara
Ranked #10 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Diego, California
“Best Place for our first visit to Guadalajara”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This hotel was the best! Our first contact was via email to the Concierge, Cecile Costa. She was very helpful to arrange for a taxi to pick us up at the airport. The driver held a very nicely printed card with our name and the hotel logo on it. He was in plain view at our baggage claim. Though this was a pricey ride compared to other roadside taxis, it just made us feel very secure in this foreign country.

She also was able to arrange for our daughter and her friend to check in on the same floor and ultimately next door! The rooms were very very spacious! Our room was on the 15th floor and had an excellent view of the city to the mountains through a very very large window. The beds were very comfortable as were the pillows... so often in other hotels they are big and hard or flat and hard. Our room had a refrigerator bar with drinks and snacks for additional purchase. (We bought only a beer.) They provide two complimentary small bottles of drinking water with another larger bottle available for purchase. However, the same brand of water was cheaper down the street at the 7-11... yes, 7-11 is all over Guadalajara! (There was also a BurgerKing and a Starbucks across the street.)

(We were previously advised to NOT drink the water nor drinks with the ice. All restaurants served bottled water. Just make sure that the seal is NOT broken when it is served.)

A bank was located next door. Thus, exchanging our money into pesos was easy. After a bit of practice, it was easy to know the US value comparison during our purchases. We used our cell phone calculator to compute this.

Communication was a big issue and not just the language:
We were there for a family wedding. We all attempted to upgrade our cell phone service to accommodate the Global Access to phone family and friends to coordinate all our activities. However, this was a failure for the most part. Thus, we ended up paying for some phone usage from our room. Many times, though, the Concierge would help us make our contacts to the other hotels where our family and friends stayed... at no charge. For some of us, texting was also beneficial. Since WiFi was free at the hotel, we could also make contact through Facebook and Facebook Messaging and a free text App, called WhatsApp.

Every employee was very professionally dressed and appropriately attired. They were also very friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable. It was evident that cleanliness was a major priority and janitorial service was visible in every nook and corner at almost any given time of the day.

Our "Vacation Package" included a free breakfast every morning. EXCELLENT! We took advantage of the daily breakfast buffet. The food was always fresh and top quality that included not only the customary fruits, yogurts, cereals, etc, but lox and bagels and caprice. A chef was available to prepare eggs any which way: we enjoyed huevos rancheros and chiliquilas. A huge pastry bar and fruit smoothies made fresh to order any which way. On Sunday they included a brunch that expanded the selection even further. Since the brunch was actually a little higher priced, the management just deducted the difference.

When it came to checking out, the Concierge advised us of the appropriate time to take the taxi to the airport. The front desk made the adjustments to our bill based on what we had put on our card. They gave us a receipt that clearly indicated the charges and what they were for. The Concierge flagged us a taxi that was much more affordable. Taxi service was extremely available anywhere/anytime.

Room Tip: We had the most basic room rate with a king bed and it was majorly upscale!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Mexico City
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I visited this hotel since I did a business trip and a conference with 40 people from my company. In general the service and logistic for the meeting hall was average since the conditioning air had not enough power or maybe was not well coordinated by the people who helped us to coordinate the event.

The service at the reception was GREAT, the attitude of the bell boys and attendants is just amazing.

The hotel infrastructure is kind of old, they need a remodeling considering the branding of Fiesta Americana in Mexico.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the Fiesta Rewards Executive Floor. Subscribe to their loyalty program, is very...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Riverside, California
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I loved the Mexican decor. Their bar is lovely - exactly what you need after a long day in the office. The staff is very attentive. There are some fine restaurants near-by. Overall, a great hotel for a business trip.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I just stayed at this hotel on Aug 21st for the first time. As other reviewers have noted, the overall appearance of the hotel is a bit dated, but acceptable. I only stayed there one night, and I have to say that the breakfast buffet was very good, both in terms of the number of options and the quality of the meal.

Nevertheless, there was an incident that really bothered me. When I got up early in the morning and opened the bathroom water tap, I got water that was dark brown (see pictures that accompany this review). I have to let the water run for about 2 minutes for it to turn normal. I was with a group of three other people in that hotel and all of them had the same problem. When I mentioned this to the front desk personnel, they said the maintenance department had to chance a water pump during the night and this was the origin of the problem. I think the problem and the explanation are both unacceptable.

I don't think I will be staying at this hotel again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Francisco M
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I was pleased with the service and condition of the room, until they charged me about $6 US Dollars for the envelope of coffee they leave in their rooms for the coffee maker. I have never been charged for this coffee before and I think that $6 US Dollars is way too much.

I went online and I found out that they pay about 44 cents per coffee envelope. They could give this coffee for free to their guests but I they just don't care about them.

There are plenty of many nice hotels in this area, do not stay in this place. I will never again. Their clients don't deserve a 44 cents coffee. How sad.

Room Tip: If you must stay here DO NOT drink their coffee they leave inside the room or touch anything from th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ReneGlez
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This is a very well located hotel, I will say that it probably was very good 10 years ago but now the rooms look tired, old and not attractive at all, things do not work well in the rooms, old iron, lack of lighting, pillows are flatter than water biscuits, overall a HUGE disappointment as I have stay in other Fiesta Americana hotel generally very good.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank oscar888_10
Houston
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We recently stayed at this property for a wedding. Part of the festivities were at the Riu, only half a mile away, which we wished we had stayed at.

The Fiesta Americana is a very old and dated property, all poured concrete rooms with little in the way of modern amenities. The concierge was terrible, we tried 2 different ones, neither could provide much in the way of tourist information or restaurant recommendations. The person taking room service did not understand english and our order was incorrect when delivered. The staff are generally friendly. I would recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple