“Fantastic”

Ranked #42 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
Salt Lake City
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Excellent service and great personnel. A bit old but has lots of charm. The location is good and it is near the Tequila tour stop. The cathedral is within a reasonable distance. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.
Thank you very much Mision Carlton!

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Greensboro
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Such a great place! Close to so many different places , people around there is so friendly, my kids had great time playing with other Mexican kids sharing candies and trying all kind of Mexican food , My family and I couldn't have a better place to stay in our vacations in Mexico , love it ! Excellent service, we had a great time, and we cannot wait to go back .

• Stayed January 2014
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I normally stay elsewhere but was recommended to try this hotel for its old world charm. It is most definitely cut from the old world cloth, huge foyer, large rooms, an open garden with pool near the restaurant and though the surrounding streets are largely uninteresting it is not that far from the city centre. There is also a Wal Mart across the street and a 7/11 around the block for easy access to supplies if needed. The WiFi was fast until a very large group of students checked in for over the weekend for a Volley Ball competition, but still reliable during the peak times. Breakfast had both a Buffet option and Ala Carte. The buffet had a mix of Mexican dishes, some cereals, fruit, bread and a lady who would cook eggs for you, she didn't speak English and most of the restaurant staff didn't either. The front door staff where the gems of the staff, always helpful with directions, getting to/from the car, etc. They were also called into action to translate some problems I had during my stay. So a tick for those guys, the pricing of the rooms was also reasonable so on those fronts the hotel was ok.

Now onto the less enjoyable aspects, the hotel is old so it shows the patina (in ground dirt, cracks, etc), also the air conditioning in my room leaked water constantly, the walls allowed a little too much sound in from the lifts, etc. My room key would malfunction regularly and I had to get it re keyed (7x) and on one occasion one of the doorman came with me to check the replaced key and after 4 attempts got the lock to work (he seemed to expect the issue). There was also a problem with a cockroach in the bathroom at one stage as well.

So overall if you want to stay in a large old style palatial and affordable hotel that is reasonably close to the centre, this will tick the box. If you want something modern and cleaner, more up to date this isn't the hotel for you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
direct0rH0tel, Gerente at Mision Guadalajara Carlton, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We already send your message to housekeeping and maintenance department in order to take care about air conditioner and cockroach problem.

We hope to see you soon again.

Best regards

Federico Goyeneche
Director Misión Guadalajara
Mty, Nl
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Smelly room, bathroom, and hallways, stained carpets, with cigarette burns.

They charge for parking, didn´t ,like that either.

Staff is very kind, and had no trouble giving me a refund so I could check in at a different hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Travellers are raving about these Guadalajara hotels

Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I was here for 7 nights. I agree with the other reviews that talked about the noisy street and hot, stuffy rooms. I tried to keep my door open when I could just to get some air into my room but I really needed a working air conditioner or windows that could open. Mattress was terrible and smelled of some really bad perfume. The internet was good most of the time. The toilet didn't flush well. Overall, the hotel is clean enough but the towels and bedding are very old. The carpet is worn and stained. The restaurant personnel were pleasant and the food was OK. The view outside of the room is a Wal-mart. You can walk to the historic district from here but it is several blocks away. I would definitely stay away from this hotel or make sure that you get a better room than the one that I had.

Room Tip: I would try for a higher floor (I was on the 5th floor). Some of my colleagues seemed to have rooms...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mary H
direct0rH0tel, Gerente at Mision Guadalajara Carlton, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Thank you in advance for your comments, we would like to inform you that the hotel had a change of administration by which we are improving our facilities to provide our customers an incredible and comfortable stay to cover all your expectations.
Best regards.
Federico Goyeneche S.
Manager
pacific northwest
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This place was ok. I didn't have black water in my toilet like one other reviewer, but the shower drain was slow. Basic, clean enough, the bed was fine, the decor is 80's. The internet was fast.

One key to what's up with this place is the 1.5" thick sound deadening panels that slide in front of the window to function as curtains.

It's loud outside. Wow. Guadalajara is like Mexico City 15 years ago, with the lines of belching buses a mere 7 stories below. It's really not in a horrible location in terms of walking into the centro, but you have to find the quiet side street that is one block beyond the main drag heading in.

I only stayed here two nights, I wasn't paying for the room and didn't choose the hotel, and don't have anything really to complain about. I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here, and if I wanted specifically to hang in the centro historico, I'd definitely find a place nearer to it.

Room Tip: Maybe in the back somewhere on one of the topmost floors?
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ektarama
Mexico City
Reviewed 14 October 2011

It's filthy, smelly and horrible. Place hasn't had any maintenance in years. Mold is an issue. Water in the toilet is black. When I looked in the tank to see why it flushed with black water I realized that it's because they are using black water for the toilet. Disgusting.

The decor is a throwback to the 70s (because they haven't changed anything since that era) and if you are into orange you will love the place. Ha! Ha!

Don't get me going on the bed. I'm stuck here because of the Pan American Games. Help!!!

Room Tip: No such thing.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business