“Fantastic staff”

Malibu Hotel
Ranked #36 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
“Fantastic staff”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We travel often in Mexico and look for quality. Our room was comfortable and clean. The staff was friendly and attentive to our needs. It's not a new hotel but they've remodeled and it looks great. Remember the city is huge but the staff will be glad to help you plan your stay.

• Stayed December 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sunshine Coast, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Stayed in this hotel on two occaisions over a 10 day period. 2 days at either end of the duration. Staff is extremely friendly and maybe 25% speak English, which was fine. Upon arrival, I noticed the room we had, the front window and the window in the shower could not secured properly. The second room was exactly the same. There is nowhere you can actually walk. So many taxis are the norm. Their prices(taxis) are all over the map. Going to same place, numerous times, prices ranged from a low of 50 pesos to a high of 150. Traffic is nuts in Gaudalajara. Whatever you do, don't drive. Rooms are small, but very clean. Free buffet breakfast is supplied in the restaurant and is very good. The bar, Mon to Friday has a free happy hour from 7-8 p.m. Only Tequila, Vodka, and Rum mixed drinks are availabe for free. Cervaza was 35 pesos. It is across from a large flour mill, and it does have a hint of odour when loading huge trucks, but I have experienced much worse smells in many places in Mexico. Would I stay there again, NO, because I won't be in Gualdahara agian.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 25 March 2011

We went to Expo Antad 2011 in March and stayed at this hotel, standard room in the tower (less noise but not so big room) the room was always clean and everything in place each day we arrived from the expo, never had issues with the room or its services including air conditioning, the standard room is very good to be the lowest price available, it even includes a mini refrigerator which we loved :) the bar provided us with a jar of ice for free, cool, the gardens and pool looks clean and well maintained, it has a gym and the buffet each morning is very very nice, they have a musician to enjoy your breakfast better :)
The personel is very kind and always willing to help you
The location may look not good but it really is, you have the downtown at 15 min in taxi which are a bit expensive but not too much and the hotel can call for one, and the expo is at 10 min, also there is this Gran Plaza mall which have movie theater, and is very big lots of stores and food, if you need to go somewhere and there are plenty of people or big cargo you can ask for transportation in a van from the hotel and is not expensive.
The only thing I did not like is that there is a flour factory or something in front which at certain hours you can smell something that comes from there that smells bad but only when you are out of the hotel

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Portland, OR
Reviewed 24 November 2007

My family of four, (two teenagers), stayed here one night because we were under the mistaken impression that it was close to the American Consulate. I booked through Expedia, but the hotel would not honor the price and we ended up paying $40 more for the room, which made the price outrageous! DO NOT Book with EXPEDIA if you are traveling with children over 12, they will be considered adults and you will pay a lot more. In Mexico, book with the hotel directly for the best rate.

This hotel is only OK. What was billed as a suite, (the reason I was willing to pay this price at all), was just a hotel room with a tiny, tiny refrigerator, coffee maker with no coffee available, and a couch. It is a total waste of money to upgrade to a suite here.

The rooms are OK and there is a pool, but the pool water is filled with salt water. The location is awful! It is on a huge divided street with nothing but a big shopping mall next door. If you want to go to a foriegn country and spend time eating at McDonald's or Chili's, this may suit you.

BEWARE, the staff is the rudest that you will ever encounter.

Our first three nights in Guadalajara were wonderful in the historic center hotel called "Hotel Morales". We loved our visit and were enjoying Mexico, but after one night in this horror, I don't care to visit Guadalajara again.

• Liked — There was a maybe 4' X 5' balcony.
  • Disliked — Price outrageous, wouldn't honor reservation price, rude staff, worst location ever.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Shamrock, Texas
Reviewed 4 April 2007

We live just south of Guad. in the little town of Chapala, MX. We get
into the city every 4-6 weeks for a few days just to enjoy the shopping, restaurants and overall "big city" life. Our driver recommended this hotel and it is one of our overall favorites.
Rooms vary from standard to suites. They are very clean (have yet to see even a dead bug), the room service is almost unbelievable in speed and efficiency. The grounds are beautiful and constantly maintained, shrubs & trees are artistically cut into various shapes of animals, etc. We spent every evening in the garden before heading out to eat.

Our room came with a full breakfast for both of us. Each morning there was live music in the restaurant, the breakfast bar was well stocked and the food was delicious. There is an "internet cafe" in the lobby with high speed access. Only 20 pesos per hour for guests.
The fact that it is next door to one of the best malls in Guad. is a definite "plus". Also, centrally located to many very good restaurants such as Santo Coyote,La Tequila, etc..This is a hotel we will frequent over & over again!

Stayed March 2007
London
Reviewed 4 September 2006

This hotel looked very nice, but in essence its only advantage is it is right next door to the big shopping centre in Guadalajara. Appart from this, the service was appauling, and I recall the night I returned from my weekend away, there was no lights, no electricity at all for that matter, and the staff were very rude to non-Spanish speaking guests. The pool is tiny and not very clean, BUT the room was acceptable and well presented. Again, the let-down with the room was the cleaners who would clean the room if and when they felt like... In the end I stayed Quinta Magna just up the road, it was cheaper and much better!

• Stayed June 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 March 2005

I stayed two nights at the Hotel Malibu recently, left for the coast over the weekend, and then came back to Guadalajara for business after the weekend. I did not return to the Hotel Malibu. I believe my room was around $90 US/night. I can not point to any one thing about the place that kept me from falling in love with the place, but it was a million little things that add up to a mediocre experience. I requested an iron and ironing board when I placed the reservation, and when I checked in not only was there no iron waiting for me (sure, that is a high expectation), but there was no record of my request, and all of the irons were in "lock down" until 8 the next morning (same time as my business meeting that brought me to town in the first place). Fortunately I had packed my shirt fairly well. One other example, I got a massage from their spa that afternoon. I am fairly certain that my masseuse had not only never given a massage before, I'm not sure she had ever even received one. It was the worst I've ever paid for. The pillows were terrible. But everything was clean and if I found it necessary to stay there again, I would not be upset...other than by the sense that there are better hotels to be had in GDL.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member