“Plaza de los Mariachis”

and up
Guadalajara Nightlife: Mariachi Music and Tequila Tasting
Ranked #61 of 179 things to do in Guadalajara
More attraction details
Owner description: This historic plaza, which thrived as a center for mariachi bands in the 19th century, still sees the occasional appearance of bands.
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Always a pleasure to listen to great Mariachi music...but whereas we used to pay ten pesos for a song, now it is well over 100 pesos most places...which makes it easier to listen rather than request songs and have to pay.

Reviewed 21 July 2011

We walked all the way there from Hospice Cabanas. While I felt it was relatively safe, I got to admit some of the streets were too empty for comfort on the way there.

Do not go too early to the Plaza though. From 6 to 7.30pm, the plaza was pretty empty and the mariachis were just hanging around. Food can be a little pricey closer to the fancier restaurants at the mouth of the plaza where more of the mariachis gather. Eat there only if you wish to leech on other customers asking for a song. You can walk further down to eat at a smaller taqueria (where even the local mariachis partake) for cheaper food.

1  Thank JeromeTMX
Reviewed 22 September 2009

I used to go there many many years ago - now I don't think that it is very safe nor attractive. It has record stores along the Mariachi plaza that are blasting their banda music..If you want to hear mariachi - I would go to Bariachi restaurant on Vallarta down near Centro Magno. Get to hear mariachi - have cervezas and a good time. Or I would go to the Parian in the DAY TIME (in Tlaquepaque)

1  Thank MercyinMexico
Reviewed 27 August 2009

Great music, great food, great people who like to meet you and discuss where everyone came from. Excellent cold beer. Best climate in the world. I have been here several times and each time had a ball. I travel all over Mexico and found this to be the best place to visit. I plan on moving there permanently as soon as I sell my home.

1  Thank sleeknight
See more reviews
Reviewed 30 April 2007

I visited Guadalajara with my Mother and Aunt in 2005. We went to the plaza area of San Juan De Dios to hear the Mariachis. We were asked for $20.00 American dollars per song they played to us which was very expensive. There is a town called Tlaquepaque that not only offers great shopping but also free Mariachis on Saturday nights and is a much safer place to be at night. However do visit the church at the plaza of Mariachis and do go shopping at SanJuan De Dios indoor flea mkt. Right next door. Also across the street are some great shops to buy very cheap silver.

1  Thank ky2mx