“It's seen better days”

and up
Guadalajara Nightlife: Mariachi Music
Ranked #121 of 185 things to do in Guadalajara
More attraction details
Owner description: This historic plaza, which thrived as a center for mariachi bands in the 19th century, still sees the occasional appearance of bands.
Reviewed 8 March 2014

If I had a limited time in Guadalajara, would I visit this once hot spot?

It depends, but it's not a top 10 by any means.

Find out what time - and if - it's thriving because much of the time it's not terribly lively.

The musicians when they're playing are awesome, but the neighborhood is not Guadalajara's best especially at night.

2  Thank Tivolicat

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Lots of music and great Mexican food. Ten bucks per song if you want a private table serenade. Safety was good, cops constantly patrolling.

5  Thank Luis T
Reviewed 13 March 2013

a real disappointment. My wife had visited here in the 90s and told me how the Mariachis strolled and sang, also about the restaurants. well we walked there only tom find drunks, hookers and druggies. we wasted our time, don't waste yours. want Mariachis, take a cab to Casa Barrachi, real stuff ther.

3  Thank Fred P
PlazadelosMariachis, Director General at Plaza de los Mariachis, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Thanks for your comment, we are working to make it like in the 90's, I regret that during your visit you had a bad experience; in the restaurant Patio Tapatio (umbrellas area), we have a 100% family environment, private security and mexican music show, you can see more information on facebook as Plaza de los Mariachis. In addition, to hire mariachis this is the right place, because the place you mention have only one mariachi, in the Plaza de los Mariachis are approximately 70 groups.

We would like you visit again the place and keep a good memory of the place.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

I used to come here and bring friends years ago. Limos would pull up and let the rich out to listen to the mariachis and drink-right along side of us peasants! The place is literally falling apart. It is a very sad sight to see. I hope it will return to it's old glory days!

1  Thank James D
PlazadelosMariachis, Director General at Plaza de los Mariachis, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Thanks for your opinion, from the refurbishment in November 2009 we are working to return to those glory days, we invite you to give us your suggestions and comments.

Greetings.