“Decent Hotel”

Holiday Inn Guadalajara Select
Ranked #51 of 130 Hotels in Guadalajara
Reviewed 10 September 2011

My first choice of a hotel in Guadalajara was booked due to a Mariachi Festival so this was my second choice. The location is good with many restaurants nearby. I was on the executive floor which included breakfast and nightly snacks. The room was a good size with 2 queen beds and included coffee maker, 2 free bottles of water a day, in-room safe, Ironing board (but no iron?) and free Internet for 90 minutes a day. If you want more than 90 minutes, then you pay. The room was very comfortable and was very clean. Only complaint of the room was that the cable channels would change without notice; lost CNN the last 4 days there. On the top floor were a pool and a fitness area. I did not use either but it looked OK.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the Executive level floors.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 August 2011

This motel was very well appointed. The room and bathroom were very clean and nice. The rooftop had a men's & women's changing room each with its own steam room so you can steam au natural. The exercise room itself was well laid out with both aerobic and weight machine and some free weights. There is allot of glass windows but view is somewhat restricted. The pool is on the same level but elevated and you can see some of the city view.
We did not eat at the restaurant except for the breakfast which was a Mexican/American mixture. Fresh fruit, coffee, hot meat, cheese, Mexican staples etc/

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 February 2010

I spent the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. Comfortable and clean room, outstanding locaiton, quiet room (no noise), very good value for the money. I am glad I picked it. I do not think I stayed at a Holiday Inn in 15 years and was pleasantly surprised.

Minuses - pool was under renovations and looked flithy though not closed -- there was a car blocking the pedestrian path to the hotel (which has no elevators for the parking lot) and I complained and the staff looked at me like I was nuts. Three hours later, same car in same place and I commented again and they said they did not know who owns the car. i noted that the room # 105 was clearly writen and visible on the visor parking lot entry pass.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Happy_on_the_road
Reviewed 20 October 2009

We stayed here for two nights only because we were going to a family lunch near Guadalajara, but on our way to the party we realized that we have forgotten our invitation which included the address of the party place... we called the hotel and they were kind enough to go to our room, seek for the invitation envelope, read it and gave us directions to get there... that is an excellent service!!... Coming back from the gathering, we spend a wonderful time at the lobby bar with a fine bottle of 1800 tequila, they prepare tasty peanuts with chilli... delicious! The next morning we received complimentary coffe and orange juice to our room. Besides the great staff, the Hotel is clean and is located near the main avenues of the city. Definitely I'm staying here on my next visit.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2009

Stayed here last week for business. Overall it was a decent stay. They rooms need updating, beds are pretty hard, and bathroom fixtures are pretty old. The bar was pretty dead when I was there but would be good with some better service . Theres a creepy way too skinny bartender who is expressionless and they play the worst music/videos but there are some other bars in the area. Other staff are pretty cool and friendly.... Restaurant food and service was good but it was not busy at all. Breakfast was very good, I had fresh fruit every day and never got sick or anything. I had the misfortune of my company switching to Amex - so had to walk 6 blocks to the nearest ATM that accepted it for cash for cabs (scotia bank).. Staff were very helpful to me, checkout is old school they just hand you all of your receipts and a total . Did not have any errors in mine that I found yet. I'd try a different hotel next time....

Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeffrizo
Reviewed 22 January 2009

I've stayed here 208 times over the past year. I would have thought that I would be an honored guest, but I was wrong. Usually they "upgrade" me to the executive floor, (which is not worth the cost difference from a regular room) because I am Priority Club Platinum. This was really optional for them even when the Hotel is empty. I have only once been upgraded to a Jr. Suite in all my time there and that was because they were remodeling the room I was supposed to have.

The rooms are pretty worn out, however they have been replacing the carpet in some and the faucets in the others.
The Restaurant has a poor ambience and the service is awful.
The Concierge is wonderful and helpful.
Over the past 2 months, the front desk has been a little more helpful, but used to be unfriendly, unhelpful, and sometimes mean, accusing (items missing from minibar that were taken by the staff, charged $2.20/call for calls/outside lines that did not connect, etc.)

The Executive Lounge on the executive floors usually has a continental breakfast, which I got sick on 3 occasions with. Note: do not eat anything not in a sealed container or freshly baked. Usually the evening refreshments are put out in the executive lounge, but the only put enough for about 10 people and it is first come first serve. Since there are 3 executive floors, you cannot really count on it being there. Also, the servers their are not helpful at all.

I have had issues from the bill being wrong on many occasions and my latest episode took 6 days to get an itemized bill.

Many times they will not answer the Phone for incoming calls at the switchboard, the walking/exercise machines are broken and worn out, the airconditioning usually does not cool to the thermostat, 10-15 times this past year the water has stopped for a minute or 2 while I was getting a shower. One thing to watchout for is the maids can opens your door as early as 8:15 in the morning to check if you need laundry or your room cleaned un-announced.

Unfortunately I have needed to stay here because of the location. I do like the Priority Club points too, but they typically on give 832 per night. You might wonder why I stay here so much, but I have learned to adjust. They still surprise me (in a bad kind of way) but I try not to notice.

If you get this for less $85/night it is an OK deal, but nothing to compare with the HI downtown Guadalajara or just about any other HI Express anywhere else. In my opinion of the Holiday Inns and Holiday Inn Expresses it is the lowest quality in terms of service, food, and amenities.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank 2-frequent-traveler
Reviewed 5 September 2008

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Select over the Palm Sunday weekend this past year (March 2008). We drove from Puerto Vallarta. I forgot to put in a review earlier this spring and when I saw the previous not-so-good review, I wanted to say that our experience (also recent) couldn't have been more different. Overall it was a good experience and we would stay there again if we decided not to stay in Tlaquepaque area.

When we arrived and saw the rooms I thought. Oh, oh. A bit dated. Also, one of those mini-bars that's locked unless you ask for a key--but, these things were minor. Overall, it was a good experience . Here's a summary.

1) Rooms: quite adequate: comfortable beds, good timely maid service, spacious and upper floors have a lovely view.

2) Location: Not really walking distance to much of interest to tourists, except a great restaurant right next door (see below) and a nice Catholic Church. However, it's a great location if you have a car. Easy access to downtown and the road to Tlaquepaque as well as to nice restaurants in that area of the city (which has many).

3) Parking. Excellent. At first I was annoyed that it was $4.00/day, but on the other hand In/out privileges were good and it was very secure. We enjoyed going in and out for dinner one night, to Tlaquepaque one day and to Teatro Degollado downtown.

4) Fitness Club and Pool. Nice,on rooftop. Nice place to work out. If we had had more time it would have been nice to sit up there on the lounge chairs around the pool and enjoyed the view.

5) Breakfast. Again, at first I was annoyed that it wasn't included which was what we had expected. On the other hand, the breakfast buffet was truly outstanding. You can choose either a full buffet or an expanded continental. We had the expanded continental for $10.00/person. Best I've EVER seen anywhere. Bar none. How many buffets offer brie cheese and smoked salmon, fresh berries, all kinds of yoghurts and buns, low-fat milk, granola, several kinds of fresh juices, etc., etc. We really didn't need lunch after this.

6) Great restaurant next door: La Trattoria. This has long been one of our very favourite restaurants in Guadalajara which was one reason we chose Holiday Inn Select. It's open unti midnight every day but Sunday when it closes at 9pm. A big bustlilng family place with great food, an extensive menu including an excellent salad bar, an antipasto bar, and great value. We had dinner there twice and just wandered a few steps back to our room.

7) WiFi/Internet. Like another reviewer, we were at first a bit annoyed at having to pay $3.50/hour for WiFi when so many places offer it for free (Hotel Morales for example). However, they do have a computer in the lobby which offers free service so we took advantage of that a couple of times and then simply logged in for 1 hour each day to check our e-mail. It should be noted that at Fiesta Americana in 2006, the cost was $11/hour with no maximum. (The Holiday Inn Select has longer term rates).

A few notes: This is not a tourist hotel so don't expect too many of the staff to speak English fluently. We loved being able to speak Spanish only (something that's hard to do in Puerto Vallarta). We have also stayed at the Fiesta Americana (same general area) and we thought the Holiday Inn Select was much better value. Our room in the Fiesta Americana was no more updated, everything was more expensive (Internet, parking, bottled water) and the restaurant food we sampled was just plain not very good. If you're thinking of Fiesta Americana, do consider this Hotel instead. La Trattoria alone makes it a great choice.

• Stayed: March 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank careyeroslib