“BEWARE of Charges and Incorrect web site infromation”

Holiday Inn Guadalajara Select
Ranked #48 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
El Centro
“BEWARE of Charges and Incorrect web site infromation”
Reviewed 15 April 2008

The Hotel staff very courteous and helpful except in the following:
I book my stay online at Holiday Inn home site.
with taxes my charge was to be $270.24 (USD) for 3 nights.
Upon checkout they converted my $270.24 to pesos at an rate of 11 pesos to a dollar. The going rate at that day was 10.40. I express my concern that when my credit credit card converted it back to dollars , i will be charged more than my agreed upon amount. The over charged amount came to $20.26 (USD). I was told that the 11 pesos to a dollar was what in their system and there was nothing they could do. I filed a complaint with my credit card company and Holiday Inn customer service. Holiday Inn send me an e-mail saying their charge was correct.
Some of the statements on their web site are incorrect. There's no courtesy shuttle, they have a desk in the lobby for taxi service. The charges posted are incorrect. They tell you to go out to the curb taxi stand. you pay the driver. Upon arriving at your destination the driver charges you what he likes. Forget the meter and what the posted charge was, you will pay alot more.
The web site states $12 (USD) fro 24 hours of high speed internet service. INCORRECT..the charge is $18 (USD) fro 24 hours. They will exchange your dollars to pesos at a rate of .20 less than the going rate. There's a bank a few blocks away but of coursse on Sundays its closed. I tried all day Sunday to exchange $5 (USD) at the hotel desk, they never had enough pesos to make the exchange, If money is no object, this hotel has good service. If you are like myself and want value for your hard earn money, look at other hotels for your stay. I hope my misfortune has prevented someone from the same fate.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — high charges for internet service, location, taxi service, resturants in area and hotel, have to call room service for ice or go to the bar your self to obtain ice.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank sky8ca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Mexico City
Reviewed 26 October 2006

The internet service is really high for this kind of hotel, they charge 15USD + 15% tax for a 24 hours token but it is not reliable and it disconnected me before the promissed time. The cut off time is inconvenient, if you get to the hotel by night and pay for the access it will last until noon the next day (exactly so every night you want to connect you will pay) but they do not even keep their promise. I left downloading a very important file during the night but it cut the connection at 2 AM!!!! When I called the frontdesk they did not even care!!!

I was on the back side of the hotel and the wireless connection was terrible, there was not a phone at the desk. The sheets were dirty and smelled terrible. I complained but they did not do anything. I just can't believe that.

The third thing is that they ripped me off using the phone, I was calling through my ATT calling card to a local 800 number but since they detect that you are doing long distance calls using that number they will charge you 2USD per call. These guys are really something! I did 8 calls each day and I got a 36USD bill plus the lausy internet 50 bucks for the worst service ever.

This place sucks, but the location is good. Aeromexico is right a block away, they have an Starbucks and a Sanborns (mexican denis) really near. Everything is close enough for doing business. The buffet is quite expensive and the quality is not the best, so you can get a decent meal at sanborns or some othe rplace at walkin distance for the half of the price. Taxis are unexpensive and very honest and courteus.

Bottom line... I'll never come back to this place!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The internet was expensive and their phone service too. The buffet expensive and low quality.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here, the Hilton or the Fiesta Americana are way better
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Danny-Og

Travellers are raving about these Guadalajara hotels

Reviewed 1 March 2006

What a nice place!

It's such a nice surprise to stay in a hotel, so clean with such a delicius food, and helpfull staff after you've been doubtfull of staying there. The price is totally worth it. I didnt wanted to take a taxi, so they sent a van to pick me up in the airport for a really chceap price.

The location is really good in the crossing of 3 mayor avenues.

I just wanted to share my expirience as the requent traveler that i am, I really recomend this place. Its worth it.

• Stayed January 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mesa
Reviewed 8 November 2005

Just came back from staying at Holdiay Inn Select and it was wonderful! Staff very helpful. Room was extremely clean. Breakfast buffet was outstanding with all kinds of pastries, fresh fruits, etc. Hotel is in a good location near bus line. Also near bank to change money. There is a great Italian restaurant within walking distance. I would definitely stay again. Also they have free Internet access in the lobby for guests. I stayed there based on review I read on Tripadvisor and pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank laine25
Reviewed 15 August 2005

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Select in Guadalajara August 7 - 10 2005. The hotel is extremely clean, the staff very helpful and the rooftop pool fantastic! The breakfast buffet was excellent, there is free internet access from the lobby computer for your use, a Sushi bar and lounge all located in the lobby area. The room was spacious and the bathroom very clean.

• Stayed August 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 August 2003

As a frequent traveler, I have stayed in a lot of hotels in the States, Mexico and Canada, and there is a detail that keep me wondering...¿Why is that? Example: I stay in the Los Angeles Holiday Inn in the Airport, and the hotel is old, dusty an expensive. I got to Guadalajara, and as 6 months old Priority Club Member, I try to stay in a Holiday Inn hotel just to raise my points (a bit afraid I have to admit, because of the Los Angeles experience...). What a nice surprise... Its like staying in a totally different brand that a Holiday Inn. The hotel looks sharp, almost new, it also have a modern look!. I might ad that this is a Holiday Inn Select, more focused to the business traveler. If you dont have an ISP (AOL does not work well in Mexico), the hotel have a public computer for free and if it is to busy you can rent one in the business area. I will definitely ask to the Holiday Inn in the States, to raise their hotel levels in their home country as they do it in Guadalajara.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 February 2003

The hotel is far from what you would expect from a Holiday Inn. The hotel can barely make a two-star. The room rate is over-priced. Poor service. I paid over US$200 for a room on the so-called Executive Floor. The exclusive Lounge was advertised as to serve cocktails, snacks, tea/coffee round the clock. They just happened to forget to mention, it's on a 'while stock lasts' basis. And stock is really limited. It also emphasizes guests will be pampered by their attentive staff. But the problem is they're never around neither do they have time for you. Strongly advise against staying there.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member