“Location Location”
Review of Laffayette Hotel

Laffayette Hotel
Ranked #114 of 131 Hotels in Guadalajara
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We stayed here (rm 1406) March 11 2013 because it is just a couple blocks from the US Consulate (obtaining visa). Good service, comfortable beds. In need of thorough renovations. Lobby and bar in good shape but rooms and halls battered and worn out. Had to call for new batteries for TV remote. Prompt followup. Had to checkout late and front desk allowed us to store baggage from an hour or so.

Room Tip: Wi-fi in rooms is weak.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 July 2012

Have stayed here a lot over the years. The location is great for night life, restaurants, and is central to the city. Easy in and out. Shabby, YES. Tired YES. Fair price and well located, that's why we return. Has valet parking which we like, then walk or cab around town. Read a review saying no Internet. This is NOT TRUE. Wireless in all rooms. We often return.

Room Tip: Shay away from rooms fronting Lafayette due to nightclb noise across street.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I was a little nervous after reading some of the previous reviews of Laffayette Hotel in Guadalajara, but the staff was tremendous! I took a red-eye from Seattle to GDL and arrived at 5:10 a.m. and took a taxi to the hotel, worried that check in is 1:00 p.m. and that they would try to charge me an additional night. No problem, I received my room at 6:00 .am. with no additional charges and I slept like a baby. The rooms are not soundproofed as well as newer constructed hotels, but what do you expect for $50.00 a night. llenty of restaurants nearby and a great spot to stay if you have business at the Consulate as I did. Also much of the staff had understandable English skills.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank James Q
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I got this hotel from my lonely planet and wasn´t expecting a 5 star hotel (although it is one), but what we actually experienced was just too much!
First...the positive side...the location it really cool. There are lots of bars, restaurants and convenience stores around the hotel, even a starbucks.
When I arrived and saw the hotel I thought I was time traveling. Already from the outside it looked really old. Through the entrance the impression didn´t change much. Lots of mirrors and lots of gold. The people at the reception were nice. I could leave my luggage since I was to early to check in and they really gave me room on the upper floors (the lonely planet said you have a great view).
Check-in time: still time traveling and I am stuck in the 70s or something. Everything is really old. Well, normally it doesn´t bother me that much, because when I do city trip I only sleep in hotel and that´s it. But this just looked dirty, although I couldn´t see any actual dirt. The window shades were torn and ugly. The bath moldy and falling apart. But, thank god, the bed was ok. The ac wasn´t working, so they send us a technician.
Then came the hight: and that was the final kill for me. The walls were so thin I could here people breathing in the next room. It was terrible. We had some teenagers in the next room laughing and talking until 5 am.
We never had breakfast at the hotel. I took a look at the buffet (continental) and decided that the cute cafes around the hotel were a much better choice....and they were.
Well, we ended up moving to another hotel near the fair area.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Faltboot
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I stay there because is the closest place to get de VISA, but since first minute I had to wait around 30 minutes in line to get a room, there was just 1 person in the reception.

The rooms are old and the sheets, are even more old, the air contidion did not work, IT HAS NO INTERNET!!!! .

This hotel needs to have a refresh I wont recomend to get there!.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2009

I'll be honest, this hotel is not the Mandarin Oriental, but it was a great place for us to stay. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable, off street parking is free in their garage, and the price was great. The room and facility are in need of maintenance in general (broken chair, damage here or there,) but everything was clean and the shower was awesome. You can't beat the location for restaurants, shopping and nightlife. If you want to pay more in GDL you can, you can stay in a more fancy hotel. For me, I will choose the Laffayette for my next stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Scout99Seattle_WA
Reviewed 14 August 2009

I looked for a medium priced hotel al Guadalajara and selected this one. Many years ago (more thn fifteen) it was my prefred choice at Guadalajara, but it grew older quicly and without grace. The neighborhood is still one of the coziest at Guadalajara but the hotel has a very poor maintenance, the so-called pool is a joke, the staff looks cheap and the sexual activity of my neighbors sounded as if they were at my bed, that by the way, was and felt terrible old. That was my last stay at this in other times remarkable hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family