“October 2013 stay”

Casa Alebrijes Hotel
Ranked #2 of 63 Guadalajara B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Wonderful hotel. Every last detail is carefully considered to make your stay as memorable as possible. I arrived very late-1.45am. The owner met me at the front door, made me feel very welcome, showed me around my room and then took the time to tell me the bars where I could still get a drink at such a late hour. A little oasis very near the centre of town.

Room Tip: My room was on the ground floor near the fountain.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Casa Alebrijes Hotel

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Love this place.

It's fastidiously maintained with lots of character. John the owner went out of his way to ensure that my stay in Guadalajara was smooth and enjoyable.

The rooms are well equipped and also have wifi.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The reviews by Bill H and jabberjawz are accurate. Casa Alebrijes is the CLEANEST hotel I have ever seen, more than any Four Seasons, Westin, Hilton, or any other hotel, large or small. Our 2nd-floor room was beautiful and romantic, with a great bed. I was a little wary about the lack of air conditioning in late August, but John was correct -- at night the air was cool and with the ceiling fans the room was very comfortable. At first the neighborhood appeared a little dicey (at least to this guy from Estado Unidos), but we never saw any reason for concern, even at night. (The hotel is two blocks from the State of Jalisco security center.) Lots of clubs and bars within walking distance. We're looking forward to returning to this great hotel in this great city.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PHX3206
CasaAlebrijesHotel, Owner at Casa Alebrijes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

The guest refers to the Jalisco State Police Headquarters (Secretaria de Seguridad Publica del Estado de Jalisco). State police vehicles often pass the hotel on the way to their headquarters just two blocks away making the street well policed. I thank the guest for his kind comments.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

The Hotelito Casa Alebrijes is a real winner for gays and lesbians visiting GDL. The hotel is located in the Nueve Esquinas neighborhood, just on the edge of the heart of the city. The neighborhood itself is classic Guadalajara; a bit run down, but the small streets and plazas are peppered with decaying colonial splendor.
The hotel itself is very discreet, even a bit dull looking from the outside. But once you enter you quickly see that it has all the charm of a classic colonial dwelling. The hotel common areas and rooms are immaculately clean and tastefully decorated, and you feel right at home almost immediately. John, the owner, is always there when you need him, and otherwise discreetly out of sight.
I had a marvelous time visiting Guadalajara and staying at this hotel. I look forward to going back!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Bill H
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed at Casa Alebrijes for just 3 nights. I came to Guadalajara from Puerto Vallarta thinking I wouldn't need much time in Guadalajara--boy was I wrong! Guadalajara is WAY better than Puerto Vallarta---just my humble opinion, but now back to the hotel review. I hadn't planned anything--my typical MO when traveling solo. I sent a message on my iPhone while I was taking the Primero Plus bus from PV to Guadalajara and received an immediate response indicating that rooms were available. I showed up at the hotel--it looks very basic and unassuming on the outside, BUT once you walk in it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I mean the building has a colonial style architecture with HUGE ceilings and open airways throughout. There are rooms separate from the main hotel in the back that are a bit cheaper, I elected to stay in room 2 I believe which had a HUGE tiled walk in shower and 2 sinks, this gorgeous cloud-painted mural on the ceiling. I slept so peaceful listening to the water fountain outside. The room was IMMACULATELY CLEAN and comfortable. As I mentioned I am not much of a planner, when I showed up the owner---John--was extremely helpful as providing some tips about the city, where to go for food, things to see. John even had everything identified on a map--I mean very organized with coordinating numbers of where restaurants, nightclubs, historical attractions, and everything else was located within the city. There was a continental breakfast that was served each day with fresh fruit, cereal, and most importantly for me: COFFEE! There are several places around the hotel if you wanted something more substantial like huevos rancheros! I can't say enough good things about Casa Alebrijes or Guadalajara--I was totally NOT expecting to fall in love with Guadalajara and I did! I have traveled quite a bit in Africa and Europe and was IMPRESSED with Guadalajara. If you need a safe, clean, AWESOME hotel then check out Casa Alebrijes! I am sitting here in San Francisco, CA. writing this review while it is fresh in mind and already planning my next trip back to Guadalajara---next time flying direct to Guadalajara!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 2 and it was QUIET! The other rooms in the main hotel and equivalent, I think the r...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank jabberjawz
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This a very nice hotel. The staff was very friendly and my room was perfectly clean. The location is also convenient. I really liked the decoration of the room and the rest of the hotel. I would definitely stay here again next time I visit Guadalajara.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ReneGlez
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

I had a wonderful and very relaxing six nights at this very quiet, very discreet and nondescript hotel nestled unassumingly in the middle of the Centro District within walking distance to just about everything. The host/owner, John, will help you with any questions, concerns or needs. The staff is very attentive (and adorably cute!). Parking is a bit inconvenient if you come and go a lot in your car, however I have no complaints whatsoever. I will return!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank ydnarp
CasaAlebrijesHotel, Owner at Casa Alebrijes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2013

Thank you for the nice comments. I agree that the outside of the hotel is discreet and nondescript but the inside is an elegant oasis. Most guests do not bring vehicles and most guests that bring vehicles do not use them while here because it is often more convenient to walk or use taxis and public transportation. My employees and I help guests put their vehicles in and out of the garage and I also have access to a secure parking lot around the corner.