“I wish I could make this my primary residence!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Alebrijes Hotel

Casa Alebrijes Hotel
Ranked #3 of 61 Guadalajara B&B and Inns
San Francisco
“I wish I could make this my primary residence!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

AREA: First off, don't be misled by the neighborhood. It's basically a printing/graphic design district that shuts down in the evening. However, the hotel is in a location where you can walk to so many things. I never once used a taxi except to/from the airport. I walked everywhere and once I took the Macrobus (only 7 pesos) to the zoo. I absolutely felt safe wherever I walked during the day or after dark. The people here are really friendly and were willing to put up with my limited use of the Spanish language. I tried :)

HOTEL: Seeing the very basic exterior of the building first, I wouldn't have expected to find such a beautifully designed interior. My absolute favorite feature was the atrium fountain as I really enjoyed falling asleep each night to the sound of the falling water. My suite was very comfortable, nicely appointed and it's a great value for the price. A very complete continental breakfast is served every morning in a lovely dining room. The two young men looking after the guests were delightful.

OTHER: The owner, John, was extremely accommodating. He knew that I'd be arriving very early in the morning and made arrangements so that I could catch a few hours of sleep before we worked through additional check-in details and so I could more fully absorb the orientation information. I normally plan activities in advance, but I trusted John when he said that I should wait until I arrived. That was a good choice because I found it very easy to make decisions on what to do at the start of each day.

I am planning to return once or twice more this year because of the great experience I had and because there is so much to see and do in this fascinating city.

Stayed March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Reasonable price gay positive hotel steps from historic downtown and gay club nightlife. Gorgeously appointed ameneties for price range. Decent continental breakfast. Genial and information rich host with solid sightseeing and restaurant recommendations.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Bisbee, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

I found this property a great place to stay in Guadalajara. It is located within easy walking distance to the central historic district. John is extremely helpful in familiarizing you with the neighborhood, where good restaurants and bars are, where you can get laundry done, where to catch the bus for areas further away. My room was very comfortable, and it was nice to be able to sit in the courtyard to read and unwind while listening to the fountain. A great value, and enjoyable stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

ADVANTAGES: 1. Owner/hotelier who provides sage advice. 2. Cosiness due to small size, choice of furnishings and decor, with discrete, pleasant staff. 3. Convenience for downtown sightseeing and nightlife. 4. Free parking, WiFi, DVD library, PC workstations 5. Close to corner stores, pharmacies, restaurants; good transport due to central location.

COMMENTS: 1. For light sleepers, keep French doors closed due to sound of courtyard waterfall that, apparently, prevents perception of more intrusive city/traffic noise. 2. For hearty breakfast fans, only continental breakfast is available as of 9am. Sometimes, I wanted a good first meal to keep going all day but nearby are suitable restaurants/cafes.

Room Tip: All the rooms face inward so street noise isn't intrusive. This is a small inn where the owner...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

I recently stayed there for six nights and I really enjoyed it. John, the hotel's proprietor, is very helpful and hospitable and offers a variety of affordable rooms. A hearty Breakfast is included and is served until 12 Noon. Location is great, only about a twenty-minute walk to the main square and close to many good restaurants and bars. The hotel is very secure and there is a safe in every room. When I return to GDL I will definitely book with John again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JMFVaUSA
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

John does an amazing job at trying to meet all of your needs! The hotel is exceptionally well maintained and centrally located to the gay nightlife, restaurants and cultural places. The rooms are reasonably priced and the breakfast while light is a nice touch. Highly recommend this hotel to any gay traveller! Oh and the community breakfast table is fun as you get to meet people from all over the world! John also provides a great deal of local information which makes finding places and good food easy to do! I come to GDL often and this is my second stay there. I plan on staying there every time I'm in GDL!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Wonderful hotel. Every last detail is carefully considered to make your stay as memorable as possible. I arrived very late-1.45am. The owner met me at the front door, made me feel very welcome, showed me around my room and then took the time to tell me the bars where I could still get a drink at such a late hour. A little oasis very near the centre of town.

Room Tip: My room was on the ground floor near the fountain.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo