“Great Hotel for the Price and Amenities”

Hotel Riu Plaza Guadalajara
Ranked #6 of 129 Hotels in Guadalajara
McAllen
“Great Hotel for the Price and Amenities”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

The hotel had huge rooms and great bathroom and shower. Room could easily host a large family. The breakfast was excellent in the morning (healthy, large selection); workout facilities were basic but good. Great place to stay if you are in Guadalajara for a long stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Greek first
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed 13 July 2012

booked 4 nights for a buying trip we are on and have been very dissapointed so far
the coffee is so bad in the room that we have beed to starbucks everyday since we arrived
the room service was also bad w2e ordered sausage and got a hotdog instead
the front desk never took the time to explain that when you ride the elevators you have to insert your room key in a slot then press your fllor
we were on the elevator for more that 15 minutes before another client explained it to us
then once in your room we couldn't turn on the lights or tv
thats because the same key card goes into a lot and powers everything
the decor on each floor is a different color
who knows why but very odd and hurts the eyes
we are in the green floor with agave and cactus staring at us all night
the pool has nothing but kids peeing in it//not once while we were observing it did we see any 10-11- year old get out to use the bathroom
and when we paid the maid for the day she lied to us and said that she would be servicing the floor the entire week...we paid he yesterday and have not seen her since
this is very new to this area and the tallest building so far in guadalajara
hope fully the work from the employees and the staff grow that tall

Room Tip: stay in the back of the hotel if you wan to sleep they have a disco in front and you hear all the no...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank scott r
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband had business in Guadalajara and I went along for the ride. I wasn't expecting much but I was very surprised.

The service from all staff members was excellent. The pool area is clean and well kept. The food, especially breakfast was also excellent. Breakfast is a buffet but it out did any all-inclusive hotels I've been too.

Rooms as clean and the bed was very comfortable.

Overall I have only good things to say about this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I decided moving to Riu after 1 week with family at Fiesta Americana Grand Country Club without a pool there was not much for them to do during day while I had my work hence pool and a newer hotel seem to be better options. Truth be told, Riu Plaza does have a nice external pool and hotel is new with a lot of space for kids to run around in the lobby.
Other than that it did not deliver, a lot of small issues (Ex: no slippers, bathrobe, cleaning done more superficially, breakfast buffet even if with much more options seem a little lower quality, keys demagnetized easily and you just found it while in elevator already on the move up (not to your floor, of course!) hence got some rides up and down until you manage to to get out and get the key corrected (not even an excuse from staff when this happened!) , no restaurants in walking distance, etc.). So, unless pool is again a must (I do have 2 small kids who would have not much to do during the day) I will go back to Fiesta Americana.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SorinMihaescu
Ohio City, Ohio
Reviewed 22 June 2012

The Riu is simply stunning. The hotel is new and modern. I stayed two nights in a double room for $119 per night. The room was beautiful - two beds, a desk for two, a mini-fridge with a couple beers, sodas, and waters. The bathroom was amazing!!!! A separate area with a double sink, a separate toilet area, and a huge walk-in shower that could easily fit 8 people.

Although I didn't use the exercise room, it was very modern - busy at 7 am. The pool was also nice and featured a pool bar in the area. I was excited to get back from my meetings and dinner to enjoy a drink by the pool; however, it was not open at 8 pm. I did enjoy the lobby bar - the drink menu was huge, snacks were served with the drinks, and seating at the patio was offered.

It is amazing how all of the positive features can be forgotten with the bad. I had to get up at 3 am to catch a taxi for the airport at 4 am. I am a coffee drinker - this is the first task each morning. I filled the coffee pot with water and looked for my coffee - I had NONE!!! Coffee drinkers can imagine my horror at 3 am. I quickly got a shower and went to the lobby at 3:30 am in search of a coffee packet for the pot or a cup of coffee to go. Nothing was open. The desk clerk offered to send room service to my room with a coffee packet. I informed him that I need to leave the hotel and wanted coffee NOW. He offered a cup of coffee via room service for a cost. I let him know that housekeeping had not done their job, I had no time for room service, and that I was NOT paying for coffee. No avail...room service was the only option, so I caved and provided my room number. Room service never showed, and I left the hotel with no coffee. While the hotel is beautiful, I think it is horrible that the Rui cannot provide a cup of coffee to a guest that leaves their room at 3:30 am because housekeeping did not provide a basic service. I think even the cheapest hotel in the US could have provided this simple service.

Would I go back? Yes. But....I will make sure the night before that housekeeping has done their job. Oh, the morning did get worse. The taxi that the hotel arranged had a flat tire on the way to the airport. The taxi driver stopped at a gas station for air. I was excited to finally get a cup of coffee. No luck as they didn't offer coffee. The driver also had to ask for another taxi to meet us and transfer our bags in order to get to the airport. All in all a bad morning.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I booked this through American Express Travel and Amex had to call them to get my confirmation information because when I contacted Riu they could not find my reservation. This is a very Mexican hotel. Meaning they cater to the Mexican business clientele. So English is spoken but sporatically. I paid extra for an upgrade. The room was on the 39th floor and very modern. Marble floors in the bathroom so be careful the shower can be very slippy. Maid service was ok. Only received turn down service 1rst night. And bed had hairs on it when I arrived plus someone had spilled something on the carpet so it was still wet. The electricity went off 2X during our stay. So that was a bit inconvenient as we were getting ready to leave for the day and needed the blow dryer. Overall I paid $300 per night for an executive room, large room, on a high floor. Not the best service but it was sufficient. The hotel bar is kind of cheesy and not alot of selections in liquor plus very expensive. I do not typically look at prices but when you pay quite a bit and don't get much of a selection you notice. The hotel buffet every morning which is provided with the room, was very good. Did not eat at the restaurant. Not sure if I will stay here again. Had too many issues and paid American prices. Surprised there is no St. Regis, Four Seasons, or Ritz in a city so large. Missed it that's for sure!

Room Tip: Go ahead and pay for executive level. It's worth it. High floor as well.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dvswank
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 April 2012

What a wonderful addition to the Guadalajara area. I was greeted right away as my Taxi pulled up to the front. The hotel is located right next to a beautiful bridge, that is culturally pleasing to the eye.

Anyway, the lobby is very impressive. The hotel is new, and it still retains that "new hotel" experience. Every staff member I encountered was very friendly and willing to help. I must admit that I did have to wait a little longer than I would have liked at the front desk at check-in considering I was the only one waiting (about 5 minutes); however, I blame the super particular and ridiculous guests than the staff for that.

I was given a Room on Floor 35 which affords a beautiful view of the city. The elevators will quickly take you to your destination, and there only appear to be a 5-8 of rooms on each floor (at least on my floor). Anyway, you must use your keycard to operate the lights, and the lights reveal this awesome room. I had one king bed, with a wall of windows overlooking the lights of the city. The room is extremely spacious with a nice television, sitting area, a mini-bar stocked with some beverages in which the initial content is free, plenty of storage space, a sofa, and a beautiful color scheme of bright colors. The bathroom is also HUGE with a double sink, and a huge shower with room for 10 or 15..lol. I did have a problem getting hot water when I took my shower in the morning; however, my guest did not just a few minutes later. The problem was quickly taken care of by a quick call to guest services.

One of the best features of the Riu Plaza is the free breakfast that comes with your room rate. And OH MY, is that breakfast awesome. There is a huge restaurant, they will confirm your name on the guest list when you come down, and you can sit inside or outside. We had a beautiful table overlooking one of the landscaped circles outside. It was a beautiful morning! It is a buffet -- a very large buffet -- serving just about anything you can possibly imagine. Regional favorites, favorites from other countries, main plates, meats, cheeses, fruits, vegetables, beverages, made to order items -- seriously anything. It was amazing!

After we checked out, we stored our luggage and went to the Spa one floor above the main lobby. We each had a 80 minute massage and it was marvelous. They actually give you time to prepare and relax in the steam room or in the "living room" over a cup of tea or another beverage. The massage takes place in a beautiful private room. My massage was excellent. My partners massage was good, but a little rough (He needs to tell her to calm down...lol). But, they were both excellent and it was a great time.

We did not have an opportunity to use the other facilities like the other restaurants, fitness center, pool, etc... -- but the entire property was very well kept and presentable.

It was a great start to my trip to the Guadalajara area, and I cannot wait to return again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple