“Quick Trip to Mexico”

Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
Ottawa
“Quick Trip to Mexico”
Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

Booked into this very new (2011) hotel and was impressed by the lobby and English skills at the desk. Room seems a little beat up for its age but otherwise good. Don't drink the water and to do so you will have to buy some after 2 litres. Hit the Beer Store across the street for great local beer on tap and spicy peanuts at a great price

• Stayed November 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Greek first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Excellent service, the breakfast is delicious the staff is very nice in especial the chef coco she is very nice person.
I stayed for 10 days and I loved, the sleeping is very very good, this hotel is very very really good

Room Tip: High floor 8 and up is spectacular view
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Excellent business hotel in GDL, free internet in the rooms unlike its spanish cousin the NH.

The breakfast is amazing, it has a huge and delicious buffet with traditional and international dishes. Great selection of cold cuts and cheeses.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tommy B
Northfield, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 November 2012

this summer i went down to guarajara, mexico to visit family and my dad had a meeting in this hotel. i stayed here for 6 nights. me and my mom and dad stayed here my sisters stayed at one of my aunts house because they hate sleeping in hotels lol!!. I liked the hotel its new, modern, colorful :\. this hotel really good service and really good breakfast :). The rooms are clean, modern and purple:\. my was room was on the 8th floor and the hotel was 41 floors. i got a little dissapointed when my room was on the 8th floor but view was atually pretty good. only one thing i didnt like was i had to ride 3 elevators to get to my room. but it a good stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank oscar219
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Yes, I saw solid, good reviews before I booked the hotel, but the real reason for booking was that it is 42 stories in a city that seems to max out at around 12 stories. We drove into Guadalaraja, with a spotty map, but when we asked anyone (truly anyone) they knew the hotel and the streets to get there (my own version of contingency planning). We were as far away as Tonala and got very clear directions right to the hotel...amazing.
On top of that, the front desk service from Pedro was outstanding. The room wasn't quite ready so he brought us to the lounge and concierge to unwind for a short time before coming back to deliver our key.
The room was spacious with a king bed, a sitting area, plenty of room to walk around, a large bathroom and two floor to ceiling windows overlooking the city.
When I return to Guadalajara next year, I'll definitely be booking the Riu. Oh, and secured hotel parking...about $5 a day.

Room Tip: High floor...at least the 15th floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I stayed at the Riu Plaza for 3 nights for a conference. The value for money --at the conference rates -- was great. The hotel is new, with large rooms with fantastic views. Very clean and everything worked fine. Large bathrooms that you could play squash in... The violet color design was a bit new agey, but nice and crisp. Service at the desk was good, and the buffet breakfast, conference coffee breaks and meals were excellent. The two main complaints I would have are the elevators (few, small -- leading to long waits), and the reservation service: I had difficulty booking online using the conference code, and then had to follow up by phone. They put me on hold for a 1/2 hr (very costly to me since I was calling from Africa!), eventually promised that it was sorted out, .....but it wasn't, and I ended up with an extra room charged to me that I now have to get reversed. But it wouldn't stop me from going there again if I have the chance.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I am very disappointed and surely a one time guest in this hotel. I have booked 5 nights of the Deluxe room at 1800 MXN - which surely is no bargain. The room itself is very nice indeed and nothing to complain about.
In case you like very modern lounge like places, this is for you. For me, this hotel is a cool hotel without charm. Moreover, for 1800 MXN I expect the breakfast to be included, rather than an extra of 190 MXN (sure, I am not the detailled reader...).
The service on the other hand is poor. I asked for a toothbrush set since by lugage was delayed. The promise to get one free of charge is all I got. I asked the hotel to give me an update about the suitcase and was promised to get a call back - guess what. The 5th night I wanted to cancel (I had one night away anyway) in order to be closer to the airport for leaving. They insisted on charging the cancellation fees - how poor.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business