“New with room for improvement”

Hotel Riu Plaza Guadalajara
Ranked #9 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
Mexico City
“New with room for improvement”
Reviewed 6 December 2012

While the lobby is beautifully decorated, this hotel needs to step it up if it wants to compete with other 4 star hotels. What surprised me the most was the hard bed and the cheap sheets they used. When you are competing with the Heavenly Bed at the Westin and the equally comfortable beds at Hilton and Intercontinental properties, not a smart move to try and save money on the bedding.

As I was checking out and leaving, and quite literally stepping out the door, I was asked if I needed help with my luggage. Mind you they didn't care as I was struggling with my bags across the lobby, but when they saw a tip walking out the door they half assed enthusiasm to see if it would work. It didn't.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Greek first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed in this hotel the last week of November 2012. I usually stay at the Hilton but there were no rooms available because of the FIL Book Fair. I was pleasantly surprised. They don’t have arrangements with airlines for miles on your stay. The decoration is modern. If you don’t know the city you can see the hotel from almost any part of the city. Beautiful views specially from the upper floors. The room is spacious enough, the bed is not as soft as the Hilton’s but I got a good sleep. The bathroom is big and clean. The shower is very roomy. Air conditioner works well and that is very important to me. WIFI is included as well as the breakfast, there are still some hotels charging for internet access. I would be staying in this hotel again. A very nice touch happened when I invited my parents for dinner at the Chardonnay Restaurant, my father and I were helping my mother when out of nowhere the bellboy brought a wheel chair. We didn’t request it but we needed one and he provided it. That was a nice touch of great service.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JGNC
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 December 2012

This was our second stay at the RIU and we would gladly return. First, what we loved: The lobby is welcoming, colorful and whimsical and really sets the tone for the rest of the hotel. The rooms are spacious, tastefully decorated and have free Wi-Fi. We especially liked the oversized bathrooms with double sinks, spa-like shower, and separate toilet area. During both our stays everyone on the staff --reception, business center, housekeeping, buffet restaurant -- was attentive and friendly. One of the things we enjoyed the most is the huge buffet breakfast, which offers something for everyone, from fresh fruit to chiliquiles. Sit out on the patio if the weather is nice!

A few cons: While the hotel is centrally located, its location is not very pedestrian friendly. We walked to a few restaurants, but crossing the busy traffic circle in front of the hotel is not recommendable unless you're prepared to run. Take a taxi instead. Also, the fitness center is quite small and offers just a few pieces of cardio equipment and weight machines, but no free weights or exercise mats.

The first time we stayed here we booked through a travel site and got a room on the 5th floor, which had some noise issues: traffic and music from a nearby nightclub at night. This time we called the hotel directly to book using our newly acquired RIU Class membership card and got a room on the 33rd floor with amazing views and no noise issues. When we decided to leave a day earlier than scheduled, the hotel let us do this at no charge. The rate was about the same both times, so next time we will definitely book directly.

Tip: if you want to buy some water, snacks, etc., go to the OXXO convenience store on the west side of hotel. You won't have to cross the busy traffic circle, just a small side street.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MexiLocos
Ottawa
Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

Booked into this very new (2011) hotel and was impressed by the lobby and English skills at the desk. Room seems a little beat up for its age but otherwise good. Don't drink the water and to do so you will have to buy some after 2 litres. Hit the Beer Store across the street for great local beer on tap and spicy peanuts at a great price

• Stayed November 2012
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Excellent service, the breakfast is delicious the staff is very nice in especial the chef coco she is very nice person.
I stayed for 10 days and I loved, the sleeping is very very good, this hotel is very very really good

Room Tip: High floor 8 and up is spectacular view
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Excellent business hotel in GDL, free internet in the rooms unlike its spanish cousin the NH.

The breakfast is amazing, it has a huge and delicious buffet with traditional and international dishes. Great selection of cold cuts and cheeses.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tommy B
Northfield, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 November 2012

this summer i went down to guarajara, mexico to visit family and my dad had a meeting in this hotel. i stayed here for 6 nights. me and my mom and dad stayed here my sisters stayed at one of my aunts house because they hate sleeping in hotels lol!!. I liked the hotel its new, modern, colorful :\. this hotel really good service and really good breakfast :). The rooms are clean, modern and purple:\. my was room was on the 8th floor and the hotel was 41 floors. i got a little dissapointed when my room was on the 8th floor but view was atually pretty good. only one thing i didnt like was i had to ride 3 elevators to get to my room. but it a good stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family