“Home is where the Heart Is”
Review of Olga Querida

Olga Querida
Ranked #4 of 70 Guadalajara B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I had the good fortune of finding "Olga Querida" and this home away from home, where one can leave an open door and feel as if part of a big family. I wouldn't consider stying anywhere else in Guadalajara. Lucy is a superb hostess who's attentive to every detail and kind to a fault. She offers guidance and support so that one can enjoy activities in the city, safely and economically. The hostel is centrally located and walking distance to every imaginable venue and with the excellent quality of transportation Guadalajara is known for, there is no limit to how far one can go, even on a limited budget. I can say nothing but the best about this little niche in the city!

Room Tip: I enjoyed being in a room in the back that opens to the courtyard. I could leave my door open all d...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank ONTHEGONewOrleans

Reviewed 11 March 2014

On my third trip to Guadalajara I accidently found Olga Querida while shopping at an antique's store next door, and I can surely say that Olga Querida has now become "my home away from home". There is a very nice and comfortable atmosphere inside. The area around is safe and it's just a couple of blocks from Juarez, a main comercial avenue. The matresses are so comfortable we had a difficult time getting up in the mornings just wanting to stay in bed a few hours longer. All bathrooms are shining clean.
Lucy, the host, is the nicest and most helpful person in Guadalajara. She makes you feel at home!
No need to look elsewhere. Olga Querida is the place to stay at.
Two thumbs up!...and a toe!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I've stayed at a few places in Guadalajara over the years but this was by far my favorite. The location is great, the house has a European feel, the dorms are probably the nicest you'll find. But, I agree with everyone else here when I say Lucy was one of the best hosts I've ever had. The night we arrived we were hungry and tired. We mentioned a restaurant we wanted to try in Chapultapec and within minutes we had a reservation and a taxi (she even bartered our fare.) Bonus that her employee (a very sweet and bilingual woman) drives to and from the airport at any hour for much cheaper rates. I stayed in dozens of backpacker hostels in my twenties and love the community but have tired of the lifestyle. Olga Querida is a great place for laid back conversation, but plenty of privacy and quiet too. I'll be back!

Room Tip: The private rooms are nice but if you're alone the dorms are a really great deal. Take a peek, t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2013

....and all others days that i spent in this hyper-fantastic place! first thing that i need to say about this place that it has his own legend and authentic spirit connected with name of his previous owner Olga Silva, feminist and local artist of Guadalajara in 40's! i think it was a great idea leave a some furniture, pictures, self-portraits and photos from family's archive of this woman! i only now realised that this hostel looks like the Blue House of Frida Kahlo!))) like his small and cozy brother! Also only warm and pleasant words come to my head when i start to think about a people who work there! Lucy is a wonderful woman! Cheerful and kind! She is a extraordinary host and i think that she really likes what she is doing and that's why you feel yourself like home in this place! Also - "Patron" Alehandro is a big humorist and expert of Guadalajara, his suburbs and whole Mexico, i guess! in the completion wanna say that i found a really good friend in this place and that's why it always be my special one!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C unit noise
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stayed four nights at Olga Querida and will return on our next trip to Guadalajara. It is an easy walk to the centro and near subway and bus routes. Restaurants and shopping are nearby. Lucy, the bilingual manager, is very helpful and friendly too! Clean, quiet, comfortable and affordable...what's not to like?

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I had a great experience at Olga Querida, you totally feel at home from the moment you arrive.
Lucy is a wonderful person who does everything to make guests feel comfortable and she is helping you out with a lot of useful information.
The room and the whole house is very clean, WIFI is available everywhere, breakfast is good.
The location is also good: quiet street, in approx. 15 minutes on foot you reach the Cathedral and main square of Guadalajara.
I would definitely love to go back. A special thanks to Lucy :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank FrancyBudapest
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We wanted something central and at a reasonable price. I think we got what we expected. It is a ten to fifteen minute walk to the centre of Guadalajara (University Square) and buses run right past the door for US$ 0.50. The metro is three blocks away. The area may seem somewhat dowdy, (we arrived quite late at night when only the bars were open), but it's a typical blue-collar Mexican neighbourhood. We felt it was safe and didn't feel nervous walking about at any time.

The accommodations look really nice on the brochure, but need a slap of paint and some new hangers. The whole place is very clean and though there is nowhere to sit in the bedrooms, there is plenty of common space to pass the time. The breakfast is on the first floor in an attractive dining room/cum sitting room. Plenty of coffee and tea, toast, jam and cereals. We bought some cheese and ham from the OXXO store nearby to supplement the meal. We could have used the full kitchen had we chosen to do so.

What makes this place outstanding is the hostess, Lucy. She was extremely helpful, even bagging a parking space for us right outside the front door one evening while we were out to dinner. She lives there with her family, who are most charming. She's fluent in English, which is a big help. There's free WIFI throughout, and if you haven't brought your computer, there's a lap-top available.

All in all, there may be fancier places to stay. The premises is a trifle run down, but nothing a little paint and TLC won't address. Hopefully the owners will shell out a few pesos to bring the place back to brochure quality. We would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: There's one room facing the street that could be noisy. Ask for an interior room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family