“A true gem. This will be my first choice next visit”

Hotel Morales Historical & Colonial Downtown Core
Ranked #3 of 129 Hotels in Guadalajara
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I was blown away. The photos don't do this place justice. It's truly a great value and a beautiful and comfortable hotel. The pool on the roof is nice, the rooms are well appointed, and the staff are more than helpful. I wish there was a hot tub, but aside from that, happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Morales Historical & Colonial Downtown Core

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Booked my stay at Hotel Morales through Hotels.com: excellent deal.
Hotel is excellent, first class. Large comfortable rooms with all amenities including hair dryer in the bathroom and iron and ironing board available too.
Great location; all the historic sites are within easy walking distance.
Try the Sopa Azteca in the restaurant...tastey!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Miltonito
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Despite my doubts, I accepted to stay in Hotel Morales.

Let me tell you, I enjoyed it so much.

The rooms are very clean and comfortable and the hotel location is the best. You can take a walk in Guadalajara downtown, go to the cathedral, have a great lunch... there are a lot of places to go near the hotel or if you want to go somewhere else you can take a taxi so easily.

The building itself is very interesting, it has lots of details on its walls, lots of stories to tell. The manager invited us (my wife and me) to follow him for a tour through the hotel. Hotel employees are very kind.

Definitively, if I go back to Guadalajara I would like to stay in Hotel Morales again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MemoSaenzC
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The warm, friendly staff and very clean room made for a great stay in a great city. The Morales is a gently updated old school hotel with 2 courtyards right in the middle of the historic center. I walked everywhere at all hours, no problems. The breakfast buffet at the hotel was typical and adequate, but I ended up going to La Chata down the street instead every morning. After touring, I would come back to music in the lobby: very nice. Highly recommend a stay here. Thanks, Consuela and your team!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank rangerboy54
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We were going to stay here due to the good reviews it has this hotel on the Social Networks, but when we arrive at 11 PM we found out that our reservation was not there and that it has been cancelled without notifying us by email or phone or the reservation site. The reason the Credit Card was not approved to charge the first night. This is of course somehow understandable, but for precaution we called the night before to confirm the reservation where the Hotel Staff confirmed the Reservation and the availability. So, what happened?? why they didn't told us that the Card was rejected? Who's responsible?

On our arrival, the front desk girl (Consuelo) told us this and that basically it was not her problem (and better luck next time). So, at 11 PM on an unknown city after 7 hours’ drive we were out on the street and the hotel staff couldn't care less...

Hopefully, the manager (Ana) was not as short-minded and unfriendly as the front desk girl. The manager helped us find a close hotel nearby with the same tariff per night and gave us a coupon to have free breakfast on this hotel the next day.

Thanks to the manager I'm not qualifying the Hotel as Terrible but as a Poor (it can't be Average). They should review internally the preparation of their staff for this kind of situations and notify the guests of changes on their reservation.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank juanvzla
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Hotel Morales is very grand, and also very warm/homey. I had never been to Mexico before, so I wanted to stay somewhere with history vs. a newer tower hotel is that is similar to what you might find in any large city. I'm glad I chose Hotel Morales. Manuel, the concierge, helped set up a shuttle from the airport to the hotel the night I arrived, plus provided me with many dinner options within walking distance. This was all done via email even before I left, making some things already prepared before my arrival.

I asked for a quiet room, and took all the previous reviewers' advice: I asked for a high floor, away from the lift, away from traffic, and away from the nearby bar/disco. I ended up with a King suite on the top floor that had a window to a pretty interior courtyard, plus a small window to the city from the bathroom. This window had many panes, and when latched shut, completely blocked out any noise from outside. I did occasionally hear the bell chimes from the nearby historical clock tower, but it didn't wake me up each time since it wasn't loud. The clock tower may be the only downside of staying in the colonial downtown area. Traffic noise was silent at night since they shut down the streets after midnight.

I walked most places, since I was assured it was safe, and even told where to go/what to see by the very nice and extremely helpful Bell Captain named Jose. He called some nearby hotels for me one night to find out which had the highest public terraza to visit so I could get a photo from an upper floor of the newer tower hotels (although, I found out after the photo op that I prefer Hotel Morales' own rooftop terrace because you feel more connected to the action on level 5 vs. seeing dots from level 30 in the new towers).

I felt perfectly safe walking to the ATM at the bank across the street, to the drug store for some supplies, to the nearby squares with live music and cafes, etc. The whole of downtown core seemed very safe overall. Jose said as long as you are back by 12am, you're fine out walking alone.

Jose actually got me out of possible swindle from a cab driver that tried to charge me for a "round trip" (AKA double the price) one time. Yo sólo hablo un poco de Español, so I could not always understand the cab drivers. However, I took many cabs, and all were fine, but this one. The driver was still nice enough even once he realized Jose was translating for me, and gave me back the excess money. It could have been a misunderstanding, but Jose and I both thought he was trying to take advantage of my limited Español. All other cab trips were fine, and I was careful to ensure that my cab fare was pre-negotiated from the hotel staff or restaurant hostess from then on.

The room was great. The shower (counter to some of the reviews) had near instant-on hot water, and yes, if you turn both taps to full on, you will get a pressure wash. I found a quarter-turn on both knobs was perfect. It was a shower room, with 4 walls and it's own door with etched glass decoration. Truly, it was one of my favorite house or hotel showers I've even been in. The floor and walls were a pretty blue stone tile throughout, even inside the toilet room (water closet), and by the vanity. That was all separated by a pretty dark wood door and partition which connected to the bedroom. The housekeeping left handwritten thank-you notes in both English and Espanol each day when I left a tip (which was neat), and while I did see a couple long hairs around the room (like on the bedding/towels) on the first night I arrived, it was spotless every night thereafter. Oh, and the A/C is powered by a neat remote control, and worked wonderfully the whole time.

I agree about the outdated bedding mentioned by other reviews. I didn't mind the firm mattress, but I did have to request a softer pillow after a couple nights (which was promptly given to me after I mentioned that casually to Jose one evening when he asked how everything was and if I needed anything).

The 2 provided bottles of water each night were sufficient to drink and use for tooth brushing if you want. TIP: You will go through your bottled water faster than your mouthwash, and Listerine does a good job of rinsing your toothbrush if you're concerned about the tap water.

The bar was on the small side, but really neat, and the barman Julian was very friendly, and also spoke English, as did Jose, Manuel, and many of the registration staff. I only ate at the restaurant for breakfast on the last day there, and it was awesome. Get the "Northerner Breakfast". Breakfast had live piano music, while dinner time and happy hour had a great live Mariachi trio.

I could write more about the beautiful lobbies, artwork, koi pond and other details, but instead, will just attach a lot of photos to fill in the rest of the story. :)

Room Tip: 408 is not dark, has a interior courtyard window, and a small city window, is not loud from the stre...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank B4P
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Hotel has lots of character. Historic building sympathetically restored into a comfortable place to stay. Location right in the heart of historic district of Guadalajara. Also a safe haven from any Mariachi.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends